Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Sterling Beer to the Highlands

User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Sterling Beer to the Highlands

by Adriel Gray » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:49 pm

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Sterling Beer to the Highlands

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:08 pm

Another old-line brand resurrected! Sort of like Falls City, I don't think this is going to be the same Sterling that Dad drank. I hope it's better. 8)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:52 am

Robin Garr wrote:Another old-line brand resurrected! Sort of like Falls City, I don't think this is going to be the same Sterling that Dad drank. I hope it's better. 8)

Most anything would be. :roll:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:09 am

Carla G wrote:Most anything would be. :roll:

Oh, I don't know. The "new" Falls City isn't a cutting-edge microbrew or anything, but I'd sure rather have one at the ballgame than BudMillerCoors swill.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:27 am

The Sterling Quality Pledge: "We know of no beer made with finer ingredients than Sterling. We use choice grown hops, select 2-row barley and filtered pure water to brew this premium beer. These select malts and hops, together with our natural aging, make Sterling the finest beer obtainable at any price. Sterling, Pure Sterling!"

An ice cold 'Ling at the ball park or after mowing the grass was a fine thing. Looking forward to having this pils once again brewed in its hometown.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:16 am

I always though Sterling tasted more like the can it came in than anything else. All the old guys I knew who drank it put salt in it.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Exactly! It had a metallic taste. The old timers I recall put salt around the top of Falls City, too. The latter is much improved over the original. No doubt Sterling will as well. It's necessary for survival.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:36 pm

Richard S. wrote:I always though Sterling tasted more like the can it came in than anything else. All the old guys I knew who drank it put salt in it.

An old time working mans bar trick - does nothing but settle the carbonation, allowing you to drink more beer, more comfortably.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:50 am

Richard S. wrote:I always though Sterling tasted more like the can it came in than anything else. All the old guys I knew who drank it put salt in it.

Wow - a flashback to my single-digit years when my father was a Sterling guy. Salt and all.
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Actually, salt in the beer provides additional sites for nucleation and INCREASES the amount of bubbles in beer. The logic being that more stuff for the bubbles to hang onto (added salt) will allow the bubbles to stick around longer. Diet coke and mentos is an extreme example of enhanced nucleation. My guess is salt was just used to make it taste better and perhaps a bit less bitter.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Interesting, Alexis- thanks!
Since I know you are a teacher, I'll ask this follow- up :wink: :
I learned a long time ago that putting one finger in a carbonated beverage ( beer or Diet Coke) makes the head/ bubbles dissipate faster. It works- but I'd always been told it was because of the salt content in your finger. So if it's not that, what makes it work?
Deb
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:49 pm

Deb, I think it's for the same reason that putting oil in your pasta water keeps it from foaming over. The oil reduces the surface tension in the water, causing the bubbles to form AND pop faster. Your finger (like everyone else's) is coated in oil just by nature of human skin. I'm not as sure about this answer as I was the nucleation one, so if someone knows differently please advise.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Thanks, Alexis!