Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mercato

no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Mercato

by Adrian Baldwin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Have seen the menu from a friend who's in "server school" there currently. Soft opening is this week.

He also sent a picture of EVERY single dish, as he was required to taste all of them during his extensive training, and it all looked :shock:

Pretty impressive the amount of detail/material/organization Fernando puts into his server training. My friend had what amounted to an encyclopedia of information he was required to study & learn, down to each ingredient of each dish. He's extremely excited.

Anyways, Pretty safe bet this place is going to be awesome.

Last edited by Adrian Baldwin on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mercato Menu

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:05 pm

I can hardly wait! Thanks for posting, Adrian.

I can't download the files, though. :( Maybe a Mac thing?
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Training materials are usually a 'no-go' for social media.

That enthusiasm is exactly what he wants in his team, but we should let him do his job of the release. There's a million little pieces to the puzzle, so to speak.

If he chooses to do octopus for instance- and he doesn't like the quality, he's going to pull it from the menu. Maybe it's a great recipe and people like it, but on opening day- no octopus. People are angry and will never come back.

He doing a hard training- I am a fan of this. I'd rather spend two weeks pay for people that will stay and grow with the Restaurant than throw some rookie into the fire and lose them in a month.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:50 pm

Restaurant jobs could be so good, but 'bad' managers too often hire bodies. Why work hard and do a good job and get paid the same or almost the same, as someone who is difficult to work with, comes in late, leaves early, steals, does drugs.
One restaurant job I had was at ChiChi's. They took the 'A' team to a catering job - they didn't cater but it was a special request. We did so well together. Enjoyed it. Got extra tip.
With any job, the amount of training that goes into hiring, and then not seem to care once people are there, then train a new one, train a new one.
I think America allows too often aggressive, assertive, and/or educated people to be put into management roles that ruin it for everyone.
Also, went to a new restaurant last night. It's the hospitality industry people. Act like you care we stopped in. Two owners were there. Kept amongst themselves. Never walked by to ask how the meal was or thank us for coming in.
I think that's why Varanese, among others, stands out to me. Must go back sooner or later.
Excited about Mercato. The interior is wonderful.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:01 pm

The photos aren't coming up for me either.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:32 pm

some food photos are on facebook...

*drooling*
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Joel F wrote:some food photos are on facebook...

*drooling*

To make it a little easier for folks to drool, a link ...
https://www.facebook.com/MarcatoItalian ... andMarket/