Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Online ordering, curb pickup coming to Kroger?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:40 pm

What do you think? Would you like a service in which you made your Kroger shopping order online, drove up later and had it rolled out to your waiting car? Free for three, then $4.95 fee per order?

It sounds labor-saving to me, but sometimes I like to look before I shop. I also wonder how Kroger feels about losing all those impulse purchases from end-cap displays?

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/n ... 1453329482
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Online ordering, curb pickup coming to Kroger?

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:13 pm

I read that article earlier and like you think it's a great laborsaving idea! I'm not sure how sustainable the $4.95 cost is for them. I'm sure it will be great for smaller orders but for a large order like you do for weekly shopping in many cases it's going to take somebody that knows a store perfectly at least 15 or 20 minutes to pick and package an order. That cost certainly won't cover the salary and other associated overhead costs for that purchase. I can see it being very handy when you know exactly what you want and as you stated it certainly avoids impulsive purchases which alone can probably offset the additional cost.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:40 pm

ValuMarket has been doing it for several years and will deliver for an additional charge. I know of several folks that have used it when they were unable to get out for whatever reason. It must be worth it to them.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Hmmm...maybe a way to retain some customers that are currently buying non- perishables on line? Almost all my mommies buy diapers and baby wipes on line and have them delivered. I myself buy most of my paper products (paper towels, TP, cleaning supplies) on line and have them delivered. If I order through ebates my refund almost always offsets any delivery costs. Fruits, veggies and dairy are almost all I shop in store for. And yes, it's saved me mucho dollars as well since I'm curtailing my impulse buys. How it shakes out for Kroger...?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:27 pm

My thoughts:

Would they pick the produce the same way we choose our produce? Probably not. Nothing too ripe for us.

Will they check dates? I want the longest date, especially items with short shelf life.

Sale items. I will put together meals based on what I see is on sale, especially produce. I don't look at ads. Too many. If I need food, I go to the store, check what's on sale as I shop.

I have the time now to food shop. Mostly what we spend our away from home time doing unless we're at a UL game:-)

Today, went to Costco for 'snow' food. The Chicago Popcorn; small colored peppers to go with Orange Chicken. (Would prefer Trader Joe's but this isn't bad.) Have the Jasmine rice. Mahi Mahi for my husband; still have salmon for me; 6 mini baquettes. More apples.

Probably not Kroger's target.

FYI the draft wall at the Prospect Kroger Spirit Shop is wonderful. If it weren't for bridge construction (blasting stopping traffic 4 times a day) we would be over there today and more often. We stopped in one Thursday at 4:00 when they advertised some of the local brewers would be there. Got growlers filled. Did shots at their nice bar area. Had some munchies. Hey, we could go to Costco around 3:00 and snack on samples, then food shop at Prospect Kroger, then munch and do shots around 4:00 :-)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:13 pm

And what happens when they forget to pull an item or give you the wrong item?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:37 pm

When living in Minneapolis we had a couple of different options for curbside store pick up and/or grocery delivery. I used "Simon Delivers" (now Coburn Delivers) for probably 85% of my shopping for at least 4 or 5 years. The prices were pretty comparable to the area grocery chains but my grocery bill was typically 15 to 20% less than had it would have been had I went to the grocery store. I attribute that to less compulsive buying as well as the use of SimonDelivers specific coupons.

I don't know how something like this would fly in Louisville - Somehow I just don't see the demographics/geography working.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Steve P wrote:I attribute that to less compulsive buying as well as the use of SimonDelivers specific coupons.

To me that's one of the biggest advantages for consumers and probably one of the biggest disadvantages for the stores themselves. I guess that impulse buying probably accounts for about 25% at least of everyone's weekly grocery budget. The only downside with the system is you might not be able to take advantage of store specials because you wouldn't be as likely to know about them.

I don't know how something like this would fly in Louisville - Somehow I just don't see the demographics/geography working.

I'm not quite so sure it wouldn't work in Louisville. I can see it being a big draw for doing at least your commodity shopping of canned goods etc. it would certainly save you a lot of time doing that. Specialty items such as meats and vegetables you would probably still want to go and shop for yourself so you could influence the quality of the pieces you got. I think it's on the great idea and hopefully come here quickly and succeeds.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:03 pm

In Cleveland, Heinens did store p/u and delivery forever (at least 40 years, and I think longer).

As far as quality, Heinens is a "premium" grocery, so didn't normally stock bruised fruit/veges, etc. As far as code date, it depended on the picker; if you got a kid, you'd likely get whatever was the easiest to pick up, while if you got a full-time employee they'd get to know you after a time (or at least recognize your name) and reach to the back! If there were a problem, just call them and your account would be credited immediately. If you had a particular request (e.g.: green bananas, milk at least a week prior to code date), you could request it when ordering and there would not be a problem!

For sale items, you'd have to read the flyers (or today see the ad on-line), but when you phoned in your order you could ask the operator about particfular sale items (and now on-line the sale list is a click away from the order page).

While my parents liked doing their own shopping, when they were laid up we had no problems ordering for pick-up or delivery.

Hopefully, Kroger will be as good!
Andrew Mellman
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:31 pm

the new Krogzilla in Versailles already has this and at least one of the ones in Frankfort (KY not Ave) are going to have it.

I don't see a personal need for this right now, but that's just me
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Joel F wrote:the new Krogzilla in Versailles already has this and at least one of the ones in Frankfort (KY not Ave) are going to have it.

I don't see a personal need for this right now, but that's just me

Hmmmm....Cool. Maybe when they open the Taj-ma-Kroger here in Garage Logic (in a couple of years) they will offer this service. I would give ANYTHING not to have to go 500 laps with Gram and Gramps and/or Double-Cart-Mom several times a month.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:34 pm

We used the ValuMarket service when we first moved to the Highlands ( for curbside). While their interface isn't fancy, it works great and the quality of the items picked was as good as if I did it myself. I will admit though that there was very little produce in the order- I prefer to do it myself at Pauls or the Farmers Market. I loved the convenience of making the list at night while watching TV and then just showing up. I was shocked to find that my bill was LESS than it rang up for on-line! Turns out if something is on-sale when they pull it, they automatically give you the lower price. Also, when you create your list, they save it for you and send it to you to start your reorder from in the future. ( not a benefit for us because we change-up our recipes/menu constantly, but for some folks this could be a big benefit). I was super impressed!

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd do the same with Kroger. They stock ALOT more brands/ items than ValuMarket, and going though their very long list of items to find the brands/ sizes you want feels like it would be onerous, and not a time- savings. But I'll be interested to see it before I render a final judgement.
Thanks for reminding me- I need to do this at ValuMarket Highlands again soon. :D
Deb
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:35 pm

Suzi Bernert wrote:ValuMarket has been doing it for several years and will deliver for an additional charge. I know of several folks that have used it when they were unable to get out for whatever reason. It must be worth it to them.

Do they deliver beer? Because that's all I'd need to know about this service to know how successful it is.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:12 pm

Gary Z wrote:Do they deliver beer? Because that's all I'd need to know about this service to know how successful it is.

I'm pretty sure the ABC folks have something to say about that, and what they have to say is, "No." :(
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:13 am

Do they deliver beer? Because that's all I'd need to know about this service to know how successful it is.

The instructions on the ValuMarket website say alcohol is available for pickup only, and cigarettes can't be ordered online at all.
Next