Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

Re: Online ordering, curb pickup coming to Kroger?

by Jerry C » Thu May 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Stopped in Kroger Monday 5/23 for a few emergency items and was handed a small flyer proclaiming that this Kroger (Westport & Hubbards) would begin on-line ordering with the first delivery's on Thursday 5/26. As Robin first posted it is free for your first 3 orders and then $4.95 after...I think $5 is a bargain not to have to spend the hour to hour and a half it would take me to do a $150 order.

I came home Monday night and started my order...best thing was by using my past shopping histories all the items I usually get were already highlighted for me to just pick the amount. Since completing my order Monday night I had until Wednesday midnight to make any changes...part of the initial order process is picking a pickup date and time...first-come first served on the dates and times. And I did not find a way to alter this once you select. You can edit the order, but not the pick up time.

This editing of the order turned out to be the best part...over the next two days I found about 6 other items that I just added to the order with a click! Pretty slick!!

I arrived at 12:45 to pickup the order today...you simply pull into one of the 8 designated spots and call them on your cell phone (number posted on sign)...within 5-7 minutes out came 2 friendly staff members one pulling a cart that held all my bags, the other with a tablet computer with a credit card swipe...could not have gone smoother. While I signed for my order, the young man placed all the bags in the back of my SUV.

One item on my order was not available (size was out of stock) so they subbed a larger size for the original price.

I can't wait until they start delivery!!!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu May 26, 2016 6:45 pm

Is there a minimum amount in order to take advantage of the service?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu May 26, 2016 7:44 pm

I do not remember seeing anything about a minimum order, but the $5 fee would tend to keep everyone from only ordering a pack of gum. :lol:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat May 28, 2016 7:50 am

Jerry C wrote:I do not remember seeing anything about a minimum order, but the $5 fee would tend to keep everyone from only ordering a pack of gum. :lol:

Well yeah, for a pack of gum there's no value there but... If I know I need to pick up just a few groceries (let's say $25 worth) for dinner the next day and it's a day I'll have the kids with me, you bet it's worth $5 to have them carry it to my car. Much better than unbuckling a rowdy 4 year old and waking the sleeping 2 year old to schlep them into the store, into a cart, do the shopping, wait in line to pay then haul the whole lot back to the car. They would do bring it out to the car for me?! Oh heck yeah! And a tip to the person that brings it to the car as well.
Yes, I think Kroger might be onto something.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sat May 28, 2016 9:35 am

Much better than unbuckling a rowdy 4 year old and waking the sleeping 2 year old to schlep them into the store, into a cart, do the shopping, wait in line to pay then haul the whole lot back to the car.

Ain't parenthood Wonderful!
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sun May 29, 2016 10:55 am

So after reading this, I had to try it. I think it's going to change my life! Instead of wasting an hour roaming the store, I can now waste an hour (or more) putting my order together and watching tv at the same time! I'll have to drive a few miles further, since mine doesn't offer it yet, but it seems worth it to me!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun May 29, 2016 6:28 pm

My wife and I have been wondering about me and fresh produce with this service. You obviously have no way to determine what quality of produce or meet is picked up by the person pulling your order so you have no control about what you get. We feel that it would probably be very hesitant about ordering these type of items from the service. What kind of experience has anybody else had with this type of item?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sun May 29, 2016 9:33 pm

I must be the only person who loves hitting up Kroger late at night when it's empty, and taking my time doing my weekly shopping. Pop in my earbuds, turn on the iPod, and just chill.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun May 29, 2016 11:16 pm

Alanna H wrote:I must be the only person who loves hitting up Kroger late at night when it's empty, and taking my time doing my weekly shopping. Pop in my earbuds, turn on the iPod, and just chill.

I agree that in some respects is a great time to go shopping but some areas like the deli, meat counter, etc. are closed which means a lot of the items many people want are not available.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon May 30, 2016 6:34 am

Alanna H wrote:I must be the only person who loves hitting up Kroger late at night when it's empty, and taking my time doing my weekly shopping. Pop in my earbuds, turn on the iPod, and just chill.

I remember doing that! I loved it. No crowds. No lines. An almost "post apocalyptic" feel to the night. Then work dictated that I get up at 5 AM and those times of solitude evaporated. Enjoy those options now while you have them Alanna. :wink:
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Mon May 30, 2016 8:12 pm

I generally get my meat from Fresh Market or Costco, and my produce from Paul's. But for all of the other shopping, this worked out great! I did order a couple of bell peppers and the red one was not as crispy as I would have chosen, but the green one was fine. I also ordered some baking potatoes, and they were as big as the ones I usually pick out.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Christina Hall wrote:I generally get my meat from Fresh Market

Be careful. They show you all those pictures of happy cows grazing on idyllic farmland, but it's actually Kansas feedlot beef.
Previous