Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Re: CJ's gripey review punishes Molly Malone. 1 1/2 stars

by Ray Griffith » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:26 pm

Her review prowess (or lack thereof) aside, the food at Molly Malone's in the Highlands is meh in my book. They had a good start in the 90's, but I get the impression that their microwaves are used more than the stoves.
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:53 pm

I think she was right this time. The tone might not be that pleasant but let's face it, Molly Malones food is below average pub grub. No one goes there for a decent meal. The 3 Mollys are in prime bar spots. Location, location, location!! What is in the glass or on the plate is not what people go there for.

The only fault with this one is what did she expect? How long until she reviews a restaurant in the mall or at fourth street live?
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:35 pm

I went there last week to meet a friend for a drink. Hadn't been there for at least 10 years as I was completely underwhelmed by it back then. I got a beer but looked over the food and wine menus. Neither had anything I found desirable. And judging by the food I saw pass me, I really wasn't missing anything. I've never understood Molly's popularity. I think I'm okay with that.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:17 am

I agree with Eric. Sure, it's mediocre, but why review it in the first place?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:28 am

Iggy C wrote:I agree with Eric. Sure, it's mediocre, but why review it in the first place?

i can sort of see that. Heck, I've reviewed it before. It's a bar, but it has a full restaurant menu as opposed to a guy slinging burgers on a flat-top behind the bar. It's legit.

As I've been saying all along, I don't really question reviewing Molly's, and I don't question unloading on it if that's justified. I just thought the TONE of the review was sullen, mean and not particularly creative. I want to say that a metro daily ought to do better, but then I look at where the CJ has gone, and I guess it makes sense. :(
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:36 pm

Ok, fair enough. It does seem odd that MM has gotten so many published reviews. Maybe it's just because I've only been once, so it's not really on my radar.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Iggy C wrote:Ok, fair enough. It does seem odd that MM has gotten so many published reviews. Maybe it's just because I've only been once, so it's not really on my radar.

No, I think it was a good question, Iggy. For me - I can't speak for the CJ - I'll go to places like that now and then because they're local and popular, but I might review them once in a decade, unless I hear that there's been a significant change, like a new chef and menu. And I won't generally go there if someplace new and interesting is still waiting its turn. (I've got a boatload of those on my list now ...)
no avatar
User

joseph.saylor

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by joseph.saylor » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:36 pm

I have nothing against Molly's, it's fine to stop in there for a beer or a drink especially in warmer months. They also have a decent outside seating area, nothing great but it's OK. The bartenders give good service. That said I feel like another person here who has seen the food in passing and have no desire to try it. It didn't look appetizing to me but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. My main complaint with them is the same one I have with O'Shea's & Flanagan's. All three of these places need some updating badly, they are a bit dirty when you go in and the old urine smell permeates these joints at times. Tables and booths do have a time limit like oh say...twenty years!

It seems like there is some type of attitude by some that long time neighborhood places should be immune from criticism. Even Cahoots has defenders which is asinine but for the person who goes there often they think it's the best place around. Attacking a reviewer because they don't like an establishment seems petty to me (the Facebook comments were similar to some here). I wish the same folks would attack reviewers who give five stars to very expensive restaurants on a consistent basis just to come across as an "expert".
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:07 pm

joseph.saylor wrote:Tables and booths do have a time limit like oh say...twenty years!

In an Irish pub, I'd think they're only just starting to get broken in after that time! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

joseph.saylor

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by joseph.saylor » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
joseph.saylor wrote:Tables and booths do have a time limit like oh say...twenty years!

In an Irish pub, I'd think they're only just starting to get broken in after that time! :mrgreen:

Very true! :lol:
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:18 pm

Molly Malone's is an Irish Pub? I thought it was a twenty something weekend kegger. :shock:

I am all for restaurant/food critics hitting up non-traditional food spaces (bars, food trucks, etc.). Sometimes you find great, best-kept-secret kind of stuff, like the amazing burgers at Big Al's Beeritaville.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:46 pm

RonnieD wrote: The amazing burgers at Big Al's Beeritaville.

Those are really good!
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:48 am

I haven't been to MM in years but my goodness, what happened to their food? I visited years ago and had a great meal of pork loin and grilled asparagus. It was great! I returned a couple years ago and, as noted by others, the food was kind of ...meh. Still no reason for all the snark in the CJ review.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:25 am

Carla G wrote:... snark in the CJ review.

It's not even snark, really. It's just cold, gimlet-eyed meanness without any humor. That's why it struck me as so out of tune.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Carla G wrote:I haven't been to MM in years but my goodness, what happened to their food? I visited years ago and had a great meal of pork loin and grilled asparagus. It was great! I returned a couple years ago and, as noted by others, the food was kind of ...meh. Still no reason for all the snark in the CJ review.

I say all of this as someone who both loves and appreciates bar food, even in its worst "microwave a sysco burger" form:

We used to go there semi-regularly. All I can say is it continually got worse over time. The St. Matthews one is better, but the food is hit or miss even there. I won't even eat at the Highlands one now, should I have to go there. O'Sheas and Flanagans food is actually tastier, which isn't saying a whole lot. Which is sad, because I really love the staff at both locations.

I agree with the comments here on the review, but, generally, also agree with what's stated in the review -- the food there is just flat out bad, even as bar food. And for the price, it isn't really fair to call it "bar fare." I'm going to be much harsher towards your $16/dinner than I am the $6 burger and fries at some hole in the wall.

And, for the love of God, if you bring me a pork chop special in which the pork chop is a desiccated hockey puck and the mashed potatoes are literally fridge cold (not just not word, but cold to the touch!), I'm going to be pretty pissy about paying you ~$15 for it. Not to mention the chewing gum calamari -- that was actually inedible. :/
PreviousNext