Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ's gripey review punishes Molly Malone. 1 1/2 stars

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:28 pm

It's apparently either all love or all hate for the CJ reviewer, who lands on Molly Malone's today with a 1 1/2 star review written in a tone that strikes me as exceptionally mean, even bitter. What do you all think? Separate from your thoughts on Molly's actual quality, Is the tone of this review ... unusual ... or am I just over-thinking this?

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /78372176/
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

Re: CJ's gripey review punishes Molly Malone. 1 1/2 stars

by Alison Hanover » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:35 pm

That has got to be the bitchiest professional review I have ever read. They should have tried the fish n chips which are excellent and the salads. It read more like a disgruntled yelp reviewer.!!
Alison Hanover
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:41 pm

After reading most of her previous reviews I had basically quit reading them because they all appeared to be the same. She piled praise on almost everything including the decorations, chefs and food. Her readings were consistently 3 1/2 or 4 stars and very predictable. Because of your comments on this one I had to read it to see how things have changed and boy have they! I certainly agree with your thoughts about it being mean bitter almost to the point of being vindictive. If her description of the food are true which I really believe they might be she certainly shouldn't have made it sound great but she should have described it and told what was wrong with it and have been done with it. Of course she did agree that Molly Malone's is basically a bar that also serves food. Because of that you really don't expect a innovative and well executed menu, you expect the menu consisting of basics that are reasonably priced and edible.

It appears that once again she shows her lack of understanding of the restaurant review process.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Could be an overreaction to the "she only gives 3 1/2 or 4 stars" comments????

I'm tempted to stop by there in sympathy........
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:03 pm

Sorry. Couldn't get past the fact that someone ordered fried green tomatoes in January and actually thought someone would be in the back breading them.
And yeah, sounded as if the staff didn't recognize her upon entry to the pub. How dare they!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:18 pm

Would it be wrong to wonder out loud if this reviewer has a tendency - perhaps unconscious - to lavish praise on the chefs with whom she's worked as a PR helper or with "Secrets of Louisville Chefs," but not so much with chefs that she doesn't know?
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Would it be wrong to wonder out loud if this reviewer has a tendency - perhaps unconscious - to lavish praise on the chefs with whom she's worked as a PR helper or with "Secrets of Louisville Chefs," but not so much with chefs that she doesn't know?

Robin ... paint not thy critic with unclean motives! (yeah, you could really be right)
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:13 pm

It was harsh. And just mean-spirited. I'm not saying she has to like everything, but Carla hit it - expecting hand breaded fried green tomatoes in January. In a bar. Not so much.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:15 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Robin ... paint not thy critic with unclean motives! (yeah, you could really be right)

TP, when they first handed her the reviewer's fork, I wondered about her history as a PR type who'd worked with many chefs, and sadly envisioned both Binghams spinning in their graves. But it's been what ... six months or more, now? I haven't done a spreadsheet or anything, but there does seem to be a pattern of public displays of affection for her friends versus an occasional unleashing of bile against "nobody" chefs. I'd be really happy to see a careful analysis, but I'm not volunteering to compile it. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Not nice. Yet, I know a group that goes there for trivia night and always makes it a point to eat beforehand to avoid the MM fare. Save a few posts above, I've never heard anything good about their food.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:24 pm

DAYUM!

Someone must have given her a dose of alum afore she went to writing about Molly Malone's.

I rarely read her since it has been apparent from the very first that she is no more a restaurant critic than I am a nuclear physicist. Surely, Neil Budde can find someone else to do that job, not better, just do it.

Richard

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:29 pm

I didn't read the review, but a 1.5 star rating would not be out of line with my experiences there. Especially when you factor in price.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:39 pm

I had their fish and chips a couple months ago. The fish was fine. Not the best I've had, but not bad. Fries were not great.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Over the years we've been there (I think) 3 times...twice on our own and a third time at the insistence of some friends...I don't have instant recall as to exactly -what- all we've tried on the menu but the fact that we haven't been back in -years- kinda sums up my feelings about the place. I -do- recall the restrooms being -filthy- with a strong smell of urine...so yea, one and a half stars sounds about right.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Call me contrary, but I've always thought Molly's was underrated. We've eaten there a dozen times and pretty much always had a good meal. We ate there last week for the first time in a year after I came down with a craving for their fish n chips and were left to wonder why it took so long to get back. My wife did comment on the green-ness of the potato leek soup, though.
Next