Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Does this make you think that the company cares about the environment?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 11
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Chick-fil-A doing green things with their Styrofoam Cups

by juan.molina » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:36 am

This looks like a very good project.

http://inside.chick-fil-a.com/video-from-cup-to-bench/

Does this make you think that the company cares about the environment?
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: Chick-fil-A doing green things with their Styrofoam Cups

by Adriel Gray » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:57 am

I would guess that they are responding to customer comments more than any inherent environmental focus driven by the companies mission statement.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:01 am

Back when McDonalds introduced the styrofoam clamshell packaging (that actually kept sandwiches hot!) they had done studies showing around 80+% of the packages were tossed either in the restaurant or into a container in the parking lot. They had a test plant that was able to recycle all of this foam packaging into video tape containers (yes, long time ago), and were about to introduce this nation-wide.

Unfortunately, the paper industry got wind of it, and came out with a HUGE campaign to ban styrofoam clamshell packages, and to replace them with paper, as this was "environmentally friendly." What people were not told in the advertising is that the paper wraps were coated with a laminating plastic material so the grease and/or steam wouldn't leak through the paper. This type of "paper" lasts forever in landfills, and cannot be recycled!

Net result: McDonald's clamshells - which worked, kept food hot, and were 80% recycled - were banned by a combination of public opinion and (in some districts) local laws, the paper industry got a huge windfall, and instead of getting a reputation as an environmentally friendly company (no use of the word "green" back then) everyone thought McDonalds was a polluter!

Chick fil A uses a slightly differrent foam, and VCR cases went the way of the buggy whip, but I still think it's fair to say that they are NOT the first to think of this!
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:05 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Back when McDonalds introduced the styrofoam clamshell packaging ...

Great story, Andrew. Thanks!

Curious question, since you have some expertise here: I notice that a lot of styrofoam now carries a recycling number - 6, I think - and the city recycling will take it if it's clean and has the number. Do you know what changed? Is styrofoam/polystyrene made differently to earn the recycling number, or did the industry find a new way to recycle it, or something else?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:Back when McDonalds introduced the styrofoam clamshell packaging ...

Great story, Andrew. Thanks!

Curious question, since you have some expertise here: I notice that a lot of styrofoam now carries a recycling number - 6, I think - and the city recycling will take it if it's clean and has the number. Do you know what changed? Is styrofoam/polystyrene made differently to earn the recycling number, or did the industry find a new way to recycle it, or something else?

Absolutely no idea! It's a really good question - I wonder if technology just finally caught up?

If anyone else knows, please post!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:59 pm

My answer to the poll question isn't up there -- Don't care! If a company is doing such things, then I'll be more inclined to support them and hope that other companies follow suit. It doesn't matter to me if their reasons are pure or not.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:02 pm

The Big Mac container states "Made with a minimum 37% post-consumer recycled content."

Let's face it, these types of places don't even recycle, So where do they get their recycled cardboard? More plastic, paper and cardboard are thrown into dumps in one lunch period at these places than I can recycle in my lifetime.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:42 pm

James Natsis wrote:The Big Mac container states "Made with a minimum 37% post-consumer recycled content."

Let's face it, these types of places don't even recycle, So where do they get their recycled cardboard? More plastic, paper and cardboard are thrown into dumps in one lunch period at these places than I can recycle in my lifetime.

McD's buys board from packaging companies, who sell them cardboard containing 37% recycled content. No where does it state that McD's today recycles it's own packaging (which was it's goal back 40 yrs or so when they used styrofoam clamshells).
Andrew Mellman
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:42 am

With words like voluntary and participating restaurants, I checked No. I don't know anything about franchising agreements, but if the company cannot make it mandatory for all current franchises, I would think they could at least say that it will be mandatory for all future franchises. Otherwise, what Adriel Gray said.

Then again, is the recycling of plastics so "green"?:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/is-recycling-worth-the-effort/

And more in-depth:

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2015/10/22/garbage-recycling-germany-waste-management
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:10 pm

I have very little that's nice to say about Chick-fil-a anyway. I really dislike the way they tote all their advertising swag to Catholic schools as free give aways garnering support from religious groups for their anti-gay agenda.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson