Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Le Gallo Rosso Closing

no avatar
User

joseph.saylor

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:13 pm

Louisville, KY

Le Gallo Rosso Closing

by joseph.saylor » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:21 pm

I was informed by owner Annette Saco on Facebook tonight that the Mellwood Art Center restaurant will be closing at the end of the month. It's really a shame because she did such a great job with her food when I was a customer at the Bardstown Road location. Louisville is already short on both Italian and seafood restaurants (especially in the Highlands where there are NO Italian or seafood restaurants unbelievably) so I hate to hear this. Annette said she will be selling her meatballs and sauces for those who might be interested.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Le Gallo Rosso Closing

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:38 pm

Anselmo's is in the Highlands.

Comeback Inn is close enough, a few blocks over.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:09 pm

I guess pizza is no longer considered Italian. I'm sure you can find some stromboli and a few other Italian options in the many pizza joints found in the Highlands. ........just joking ......Seriously, Frankfort Ave is just a stone's throw away where one can find some decent Italian fare.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Sadly, this is not surprising.

That Mellwood Arts Center is a BRUTAL location. There is virtually no regular AM clientele and PM business is almost impossible as you are out there on an island with not much else to draw. The only hope of survival is during big events, but there just aren't enough to pay the bills. The amount you would have to spend on advertising to build a sustaining buzz and draw is probably twice the realistic income of the business for the first 5 years.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:48 pm

RonnieD wrote:Sadly, this is not surprising.

That Mellwood Arts Center is a BRUTAL location.

That was the first thought that came to my mind when they relocated there. I wished them well, and kept my trap shut, but I wasn't hopeful from the start.
no avatar
User

joseph.saylor

{ RANK }

Just got here

Louisville, KY

by joseph.saylor » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Anselmo's is in the Highlands.

Comeback Inn is close enough, a few blocks over.

To each his own but personally I can't agree on Anselmo's, I didn't forget them I just don't consider them in the equation. This is the only place I have ever placed a carryout order (that is when I could get them to answer the phone) and actually heard an employee in the background complain about it. Who acts like that when someone is giving you business and you are dead? Bad service is not uncommon there from what I have read and they charge way too much for what you get. I dine out all the time (too much) and I'm no cheapskate by any means. Far as Comeback Inn that's out of area for me, I'm a territorial guy who stays in the confines of the Highlands or St. Matthews, downtown once or twice a year.

I forgot to mention Annette did say some people from New York may be opening an Italian place in the building next to Roux but that is not confirmed. I am hoping!
no avatar
User

joseph.saylor

{ RANK }

Just got here

Louisville, KY

by joseph.saylor » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
RonnieD wrote:Sadly, this is not surprising.

That Mellwood Arts Center is a BRUTAL location.

That was the first thought that came to my mind when they relocated there. I wished them well, and kept my trap shut, but I wasn't hopeful from the start.

I basically said the same thing to her, leaving the Highlands was unfortunate but it wasn't all her fault. That's another story.