Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Puck Express to be run by ... Centerplate

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:12 am

Anyone who thinks it's exciting that Wolfgang Puck is opening a restaurant in Louisville need only read between the lines of this unskeptical report in <i>Business First</i>. The Puck fast-food franchise is being run by Centerplate, the same folks who give new meaning to "bad food and sullen service" at Slugger Field.

Puck set to score: Famous chef's eatery to open in Kentucky International Convention Center
Business First of Louisville - by Terry Boyd Business First Staff Writer

Centerplate Inc. is bringing a bit of culinary glitz to the Kentucky International Convention Center.

A Wolfgang Puck Express restaurant is scheduled to open Jan. 21 in the convention center's on the southwest corner of Third and Market streets.

The restaurant will be a franchise, owned and operated by Centerplate Inc., a Stamford, Conn.-based company that has the food-concession contracts at the convention center.

Celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck, who has operated restaurants in Los Angeles for two decades, owns a number of privately held companies, including Puck Express, Wolfgang Puck Fine Dining Group, a group of fine-dining restaurants licensing the Puck name, and Wolfgang Puck Catering.

Full story in Business First
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:35 am

wow, we are so lucky to get a "restaurant" that will microwave the same Wolfgang Puck (R) frozen dinners and pizzas I can buy at Kroger. Yuckola.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:12 am

Ron Johnson wrote:wow, we are so lucky to get a "restaurant" that will microwave the same Wolfgang Puck (R) frozen dinners and pizzas I can buy at Kroger. Yuckola.

And, you can enjoy paying a significant premium to the retail stuff for the pleasure of them microwaving for you!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:33 am

TP Lowe wrote:And, you can enjoy paying a significant premium to the retail stuff for the pleasure of them microwaving for you!

And, if Centerplate adheres to its usual policy, having it handed to you wordlessly by an unsmiling low-wage employee who will be penalized if his cup count doesn't come out even at the end of the day.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:45 am

MMMMMMM........Wolfgang Puck(tm) fried bologna sandwich!!!!!
no avatar
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

by BrianW » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:48 am

[quote="Ed Vermillion"]MMMMMMM........Wolfgang Puck(tm) fried bologna sandwich!!!!![/quote]

Isn't that AKA Portland Round Steak?
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:And, you can enjoy paying a significant premium to the retail stuff for the pleasure of them microwaving for you!

And, if Centerplate adheres to its usual policy, having it handed to you wordlessly by an unsmiling low-wage employee who will be penalized if his cup count doesn't come out even at the end of the day.

Perfect. Can't wait.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:59 pm

How disappointing! I had visions of some of his other restaurants....
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:02 pm

Now Robin... you are not giving Centerplate their fair shake.

They also manage to provide "bad food and sullen service" to everyone at Freedom Hall and Cardinal Stadium.

It takes real talent to run a profitable business serving food that bad in a manner that sullen.

:twisted:
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Actually, in their case it sounds like you just need a captive audience (and I assume the right connections).

They should have the food service company that Humana uses for their corporate building on Main be the food service outsource. The food is far past normal corporate food, wonderful selection and the staff has always been great: friendly and enthusiastic. Don't know what they are doing, but they are doing it very right!

Deb
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:22 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Actually, in their case it sounds like you just need a captive audience (and I assume the right connections).

They should have the food service company that Humana uses for their corporate building on Main be the food service outsource. The food is far past normal corporate food, wonderful selection and the staff has always been great: friendly and enthusiastic. Don't know what they are doing, but they are doing it very right!

Deb
I think that is Aramark and if they are doing it right, that is a first for me.......(I am glad that they got it right for Humana though I have seen many other accounts go very wrong for them)
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Aramark.

by Doogy R » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:30 pm

David Clancy wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:Actually, in their case it sounds like you just need a captive audience (and I assume the right connections).

Deb
I think that is Aramark and if they are doing it right, that is a first for me.......(I am glad that they got it right for Humana though I have seen many other accounts go very wrong for them)

It's a company called Guckenheimer. I know because I work at the Humana Building. They are doing a FANTASTIC job for us and we love having the new food area. That's not even to mention how Humana bought those 6 old buildings next to the tower and did a superb job restoring them and keeping a lot of the "old" intact.

Check this out for an inside look. The article will be especially informative to food service pro's. It really goes fairly in depth about what's going on here. I know Monica Dowd, the executive chef, and she's really happy about the situation she has to work with here.

http://www.fesmag.com/archives/2007/10/fdp/default.asp
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:48 pm

Deb Hall wrote:They should have the food service company that Humana uses for their corporate building on Main be the food service outsource. The food is far past normal corporate food

Did anyone but me notice that the CJ had a big story about the Humana cafeteria recently, quoting Humana execs and other experts about what an excellent motivating factor and efficiency tool it is for employees and management ... and the story did NOT mention that Gannett just cut budget by closing the CJ cafeteria and laid off its staff in favor of a row of vending machines?
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Workplace cafes.

by Doogy R » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:They should have the food service company that Humana uses for their corporate building on Main be the food service outsource. The food is far past normal corporate food

Did anyone but me notice that the CJ had a big story about the Humana cafeteria recently, quoting Humana execs and other experts about what an excellent motivating factor and efficiency tool it is for employees and management ... and the story did NOT mention that Gannett just cut budget by closing the CJ cafeteria and laid off its staff in favor of a row of vending machines?

I saw that article, but after reading the one I just posted, I was less than impressed. Seriously, should I really expect any in depth news from the C-J? No answer required. :roll:

For those who might care to look, here's the link to the C-J article. Robin might want to clean up the link for me.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... /712290455
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

Re: Aramark.

by David Clancy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:38 am

Doogy R wrote:
David Clancy wrote:

Deb

It's a company called Guckenheimer. I know because I work at the Humana Building. They are doing a FANTASTIC job for us and we love having the new food area. That's not even to mention how Humana bought those 6 old buildings next to the tower and did a superb job restoring them and keeping a lot of the "old" intact.

Check this out for an inside look. The article will be especially informative to food service pro's. It really goes fairly in depth about what's going on here. I know Monica Dowd, the executive chef, and she's really happy about the situation she has to work with here.

http://www.fesmag.com/archives/2007/10/fdp/default.asp
Looks as though Aramark got replaced in 07'......congratulations Humana!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
Next