Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Nashville Hot Chicken comes to ... KFC!?

by Carla G » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:21 am

I have never had Nashville hot chicken. Haven't eaten KFC in ages but I wanted to see what all the excitement was all about. Tried the KFC Hot Nashville version yesterday on one of my meat days. It was pretty good. I'd say they got a good balance of heat/vinegar in whatever the sauce is as well as one addition spice that I cannot pinpoint. A sweet spice, like maybe cardamon? Certainly a much better product than they've come out with in a while. Would I get it again? (Shrugs) Doubtful. But not because of the flavor. Because I don't know where those chickens are sourced and/or processed and I refuse to eat any chicken processed and shipped from China.
PS....mine came with very thin slices of pickles.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:53 pm

I bought a piece on a whim the other day while John was out of town on business and I was driving through for tacos. It wasn't bad at all, and I too found two thin pickle slices in my tray. We're going to try Royals tonight, though. Looking forward to trying all the Nashville hot chicken in Louisville from the local joints.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Ellen P wrote: The trick is to get it when it is freshly made. Shoe string fries probably have a 5 minute hold at the most. Stores went to batter which adds some hold to fries.

I was taught long ago to ask for fresh fries with no salt, and then ask for salt packets on the side - that way you get freshly fried fries. Kind of a fast food hack, but it works. IF you want to wait in the drive thru or in a parking space after. We have the privilege of having one of the worst McDonald's in the state in our neighborhood. We don't even bother, there's always something wrong and the food is cold and the wait is long. Always. I've considered reporting them, but it seems like no one cares there.
Marsha Lynch
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:03 pm

Marsha L. wrote:one of the worst McDonald's in the state

Is there really all that much difference between the best McDonald's and the worst McDonald's? :P
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Marsha L. wrote:one of the worst McDonald's in the state

Is there really all that much difference between the best McDonald's and the worst McDonald's? :P

Hell, yes. I'm guessing you haven't been for a while, but that's a giant HELL YES. Some have great customer service and some have none. Some make sure food quality is what corporate asks for, some don't. I know (and live) that's it's not something I eat every week, or every month, but there are definite gradients of food and service. No doubt at all.
Marsha Lynch
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:06 pm

^ what Marsha said. I really thought the worst McD's was on Bardstown Rd sort of in front of the, umm . . ., Economy Inn. In my defense, I hadn't eaten all day and there it was.
no avatar
User

bill.calvert

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:34 am

by bill.calvert » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:37 am

Marsha L. wrote:
Ellen P wrote: The trick is to get it when it is freshly made. Shoe string fries probably have a 5 minute hold at the most. Stores went to batter which adds some hold to fries.

I was taught long ago to ask for fresh fries with no salt, and then ask for salt packets on the side - that way you get freshly fried fries. Kind of a fast food hack, but it works. IF you want to wait in the drive thru or in a parking space after. We have the privilege of having one of the worst McDonald's in the state in our neighborhood. We don't even bother, there's always something wrong and the food is cold and the wait is long. Always. I've considered reporting them, but it seems like no one cares there.

Just an fyi, you no longer have to ask for fries no salt. When I was a worker in the 90's at Wendys, coworkers would roll their eyes when someone would do this. Lol. They'd much rather the person just simply ask for fresh fries. :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:10 pm

bill.calvert wrote:Just an fyi, you no longer have to ask for fries no salt. When I was a worker in the 90's at Wendys, coworkers would roll their eyes when someone would do this. Lol. They'd much rather the person just simply ask for fresh fries. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the voice of experience, Bill ... and welcome to the forum!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:55 am

Just discovered that Yum Brands started testing a fast-casual chicken restaurant (Super Chix) in Texas in 2014. That chain had/has Nashville Chicken on the menu. My guess would be that it proved very successful for Super Chix, so they rolled it into KFC.
Andrew Mellman
Previous