Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

North End Slice

no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

North End Slice

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:05 am

Is legit.

Ordered a 20" pep yesterday, and I found it to be very similar (by Louisville standards) to good NYC Street pizza. Seems so many places around here that shoot for that style end up with an inconsistent thickness depending on the day (The Post, Papalino's, Diorio's) that's not easily foldable, etc.

I can't speak to their consistency after 1 visit, but that was definitely not the case yesterday....ultra thin & foldable, little bit of orange grease, and the ideal ratio of sauce/cheese that melds together pretty perfectly.

Definitely recommend, at least after my initial visit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: North End Slice

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:52 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Is legit.

Thanks, Adrian. I've been meaning to get over there. Now I'll have to ramp up my interest level.

I will say, as a past and sometimes New Yorker, that "orange grease" is not necessarily a positive among Gotham's serious pizza-philes. It typifies the cheap ingredients used at the bazillion "Ray's", "Original Ray's" and all the other street-corner Ray's variations, but the landmark pizzerias don't have it.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:24 pm

Well, that's false. The .99 places are a disgusting greasy mess, for sure -- but to imply a little bit of grease on a street slice is unique to those places is incorrect.

I spend 2-3 weeks per year in NYC, mainly for food purposes, and have for a decade. I'm well over 100 different pizzas tried in the Big Apple.

I have a good handle on NYC pie, all styles, and I'm referring to the street style pies, not your refined sitdown places.

Joe's, Prince St, Bleeker St, Sal & Carmines, Best Pizza etc etc...all have a "little bit", particularly if you get Pep, although I realize most New Yorkers opt for the cheese.

Joe's particularly, is considered THE standard "slice" in NYC, by most of your "Serious Gotham Pizza-philes", and yes, it even has a "little bit" of grease that will drip out when folded & compressed.

...and North End Slice isn't greasy by any stretch, fwiw.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Adrian, I spent summers in NYC as a teen-ager, and Mary and I lived in NYC full-time from 1990-1994 and hung out with a foodie crowd that included Jim "Chowhound" Leff and Robert Sietsema, so I think my sights are fairly well calibrated. ;) And also pretty much clued in on the "family" connections involving NYC pizzeria cheese and its distribution. But there's plenty of room for varying opinion!

Meanwhile, I look forward to getting over to North End Slice soon.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:20 pm

1994, lol.

Well, if you ever get back, I've got plenty of recs for you...sounds like you have a lot of catching up to do.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:1994, lol.

Well, if you ever get back, I've got plenty of recs for you...sounds like you have a lot of catching up to do.

I get back now and then. I'd be happy to have the recs, though!
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Well, my latest obsession is Danny Meyer's Roman pies at Marta.

Could probably eat 4-5 whole pies by myself. :shock: