Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Earth Fare Closing

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Earth Fare Closing

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:26 pm

According to this article from business 1st: Earth Fare Closing, they're going to be closing at the end of this month. Their stated reasoning is that it was a very challenging location but with all the new development out that way I really have to wonder. Their store wasn't very convenient for us but we were in there a few times and everything seemed very well organized and the produce was beautiful. Prices were obviously higher than Kroger and stores like that but were pretty much in line with Whole Foods and Fresh Market.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Earth Fare Closing

by TP Lowe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:11 am

I never understood that location. Seems like a dedicated parking lot is necessary for a successful grocery, but I might be showing my lack of knowledge. Somebody smarter than me thought it was a viable idea.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:38 am

I really like Earth Fare and put it on par with Fresh Market. It's the only real upscale grocery out my way. Unfortunately, their parking lot is the worst! I simply dread entering that lot for any store. :evil:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:21 pm

The article says it opened in 2012, but I had never heard of it. That's not good. It isn't in my area, but I would have checked it out had I seen an ad or something.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:56 pm

SilvioM wrote:The article says it opened in 2012, but I had never heard of it. That's not good. It isn't in my area, but I would have checked it out had I seen an ad or something.

There were quite a few articles in advertising when they 1st opened but since then there hasn't been much press of any type. I'm sure that didn't help the situation any.

User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:47 am

I didn't go in there often, but sometimes they had some spectacular sales on grassfed beef and their pizzas were pretty good. Getting in and out of that shopping center though is brutal and then there is never any place close to park. This saddens me, I hate to lose a food shopping option.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:06 pm

How close do you need to be? Park right out front. We would park on the side by Pier I and get a tiny bit more exercise and window shop.
Followed them on FB and got emails on their specials.
Crabcakes for $2 or $2.50. Baquettes $0.99. Quiche day. Good quiche. Pizza day. Entree plus 2 sides deal on weekends. Fed two people. Really good deli sides. As in store, I walked through and purchased what was on sale.
They had recently redone the interior part of the store but I seldom bought anything in the middle. Perimeter person.
The problem I had was too few employees. I could stand at one of the service areas (deli, pizza, sandwich, butcher) and not see anyone. Registers could be a problem. Last visit, the cashier didn't know how to handle a check and the two other employees who came to her rescue, didn't either. Line became very long.
I left.
Will miss the quality and the sale items.
Would love a Trader Joe's - which is in a worse parking lot. Whole Foods is bad. Less traffic out our way.
Would love a Paul's.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:17 pm

I agree, when I heard people referring to bad parking at Earth Fare I laughed because is nothing compared to the parking at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods!

no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:33 am

Mark R. wrote:I agree, when I heard people referring to bad parking at Earth Fare I laughed because is nothing compared to the parking at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods!

My problem isn't with parking in terms of having to park far away from the entrance of the store but more about the entrance/exit for that entire shopping center in general. I know multiple ways in and out of Shelbyville Road plaza as well as the plaza where Whole Foods is. But the shopping center with Earth Fare? I get caught in standstill traffic waiting for lights to change. Are there sneaky side and/or rear entrances that I don't know about? It would honestly make me much more likely to shop out there if so....
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:44 am

Heather L wrote:
Mark R. wrote:I agree, when I heard people referring to bad parking at Earth Fare I laughed because is nothing compared to the parking at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods!

My problem isn't with parking in terms of having to park far away from the entrance of the store but more about the entrance/exit for that entire shopping center in general. I know multiple ways in and out of Shelbyville Road plaza as well as the plaza where Whole Foods is. But the shopping center with Earth Fare? I get caught in standstill traffic waiting for lights to change. Are there sneaky side and/or rear entrances that I don't know about? It would honestly make me much more likely to shop out there if so....

We take Hurstbourne through the intersection at Brownsboro and turn right into the shopping center on the side near Gap I think. It avoids the main entrance completely.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Heather L wrote:

I agree, I don't mind a walk. But 4 or 5 short lane 4 way intersections between the entrance and the back of the seafood restaurant makes for a traffic jam on that seems to last forever. Badly planned parking lot. Be interesting to know how many fender benders are in that lot compared to others.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Heather L wrote:Are there sneaky side and/or rear entrances that I don't know about? It would honestly make me much more likely to shop out there if so....

There's an entrance from Springdale Blvd between Build-A-Bear and Zoe's Kitchen, an entrance/exit from Springdale between Gap and Talbot's, and an outlet from the parking lot between Earth Fare and Quest to the access road behind Earth Fare, in front of the Hilton Garden Inn.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
Heather L wrote: and an outlet from the parking lot between Earth Fare and Quest to the access road behind Earth Fare, in front of the Hilton Garden Inn.

That's certainly the best way to avoid all the hassles of the parking lot!

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Psst, it's a secret...
You can actually also go past the center on Hurstbourne/ Springdale and turn tight to go to the Hilton Garden Inn. There is another lot on the right behind Noodles & Co that always has space and that's super close to EarthFare, Ulta, etc. but don't tell anyone.... :!: :lol:
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Heather L » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:17 am

Thanks for the tips/tricks! I am all about some sneaky side entrances, alleys, avoiding that darn light!! :lol:
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)