Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

MIGO Review (It still looks like OMIG to me)

by Alexis Rich » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:06 pm

First, let me preface this review by saying that I really didn't like Loop 22. I had some pretty bad food there and some of the worst service in recent memory. I teach high school and have NEVER seen a more proficient eye roll than that of my server. So when a friend and I decided to try MIGO (Migo? Does it matter?) last night I was apprehensive. Not since the Pink Door noodle house days had I eaten anything that I liked in that building so my expectations weren't that high. Good news! OMG! OMIG is pretty tasty.

We were seated at the worst table in the restaurant - the two top right in the middle of the dining room, closest to the door. Everyone knocked into us on the way in. I thought about asking for a table in the back room but remembered that the past few times I sat back there, it reeked of sewer gas, so I rolled with it. We were seated promptly and the server approached the table with waters. She got us a drink menu which was interesting. To their credit, there weren't 20 ridiculous $15 cocktails that take 1/2 hour to make. It was a short, fun list. When beer is cheaper than soda, I can't resist so I ordered a PBR for $2.

We split the yucca tots which were VERY tasty. Fried, thick yucca cubes with sauce and cheese. They reminded me of cheese curds. If you have a large group, get 2 orders. Larger parties could prompt people to get a little possessive about their tots; they're that good.

We ordered tacos and there's a lot of "you play the chef" to their system. Pick a protein then decide how you want the taco styled. I can't remember all of them but there was a BBQ, Korean, Hawaiian, Baja and maybe Mexican? The veggie tacos were already styled. I'd say the tacos were about the size of a saucer. We're both not big meat eaters so we didn't get beef, chicken, tongue (!) or anything else like that. We each got a selection from the veggie and the fish. My friend got the tomatillo veggie taco and it was really good an fresh tasting. She also got the shrimp Baja styled and pronounced it not half as good as the veggie. I had the same experience. While my Korean grilled salmon taco was tasty, the star of the show was the seasonal vegetable "buffalo cauliflower" taco. That's right, a cauliflower taco. Who knew? We also ordered lima beans and they were fine. But once you've had lima beans from Mayan Cafe, lima beans elsewhere are ruined for you.

Since New Year's resolutions don't start until tomorrow, we had churros for dessert. I thought they were a little heavy - more like donuts. Honestly, no fried dough is bad. The sauce stuff on them was totally yummy.

With a shared appetizer and dessert, 2 beers and 4 tacos, we left pretty full for about $45 bucks before tip. Not bad at all. Service was helpful and friendly without being obtrusive. Will definitely be back.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: MIGO Review (It still looks like OMIG to me)

by Carla G » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Well Alexis, you made me want to go.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: MIGO Review (It still looks like OMIG to me)

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Carla G wrote:Well Alexis, you made me want to go.

Me, too!