Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Smitten CJ loves up Artesano with 4 well-earned stars

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:58 am

A 4-star love note from the CJ to Artesano Vino Tapas Y Mas. It's well-earned, yet a little embarrassing, like accidentally seeing a romantic couple's private texts ...

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /77382768/
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Smitten CJ loves up Artesano with 4 well-earned stars

by Mike D » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:57 am

My wife and I are pescetarians. Is that sort of like a "pescatorean'?

(First of what I'm sure will be many 2016 rants about the dearth of copy editors at our once-great newspaper.)
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Robin, I love your description of how the article with word, I laughed before I read the actual article but certainly agree after reading it. As you said the rating is certainly well deserved but I could certainly do with less flowery descriptions and more discussion about the actual taste of various items.

The word "pescatorean" also jumped out at me as well as my spellchecker so I did some googling. I did find several reviews online that use the word but they were from such well-known sites as tripadvisor etc. Most of the hits when googling "pescatorean" came up with a species of Orchid may be considered appropriate based on her wording. :mrgreen:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:01 pm

Mark R. wrote:Robin, I love your description of how the article with word, I laughed before I read the actual article but certainly agree after reading it. As you said the rating is certainly well deserved but I could certainly do with less flowery descriptions and more discussion about the actual taste of various items.

The word "pescatorean" also jumped out at me as well as my spellchecker so I did some googling. I did find several reviews online that use the word but they were from such well-known sites as tripadvisor etc. Most of the hits when googling "pescatorean" came up with a species of Orchid which may be appropriate based on her wording. :mrgreen:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:32 pm

What seems odd to me is that, as with her last review, she spends more time listing than describing. In this short review, she mentioned 18 dishes, including all ingredients, but barely describing how they taste (or presentation, value, service, etc.) beyond "really good", or some variation. At some point in the past, I might've liked that -- perhaps if I had to drive to the restaurant to see their full menu. With the Internet thingy, however, it's all there -- in this case, the full menu on the Artesano website.

She didn't eat 18 items. I'd prefer that she describe what she did choose (or like Marty used to do, his wife's choices as well), why, what was interesting/not about them, context in the local scene, and the like. Maybe this is just how the standard restaurant review has evolved, and perhaps it's the choice of the editors. My preference would be to scrap the lists and write a full paragraph about each thing that she/they ordered. It's not that hard and it would be a lot more interesting.