Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Royals Hot Chicken

no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Royals Hot Chicken

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:05 am

I got to Royal's on Saturday, and loved it. I ordered the Hot level, and found it just comfortably warm. I'll probably try extra hot next time and see how that goes. The pimiento cheese grits on the side were delicious, as well!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:59 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:I got to Royal's on Saturday, and loved it. I ordered the Hot level, and found it just comfortably warm. I'll probably try extra hot next time and see how that goes. The pimiento cheese grits on the side were delicious, as well!

I agree with all this. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Scott S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:32 am

by Scott S » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Iggy C wrote:I have a feeling the extra hot is going to be closer to what I want from a hot chicken experience.

Yeah, the hot was good but not really all that hot. The guy at the checkout tried to warn me that hot means hot, but it certainly wasn't over the top.

I don't think I'm going to go for the Gonzo, though. :oops: Anybody here up to try that?

I tried one Gonzo tender along with a quarter chicken extra hot (incidentally, I love that I had that option, so kudos to Royals for that). The Gonzo was not unbearable for me, but it went beyond what I would consider to be enjoyable, and into the realm of "I can endure it if I have to." I thought the extra hot was darn near perfect for my heat tolerance.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:10 pm

I tried the quarter breast extra-hot today. Royals did a great job. Solid heat level, good crunch, delicious flavor. I will definitely be recommending it. I would go so far as to say it is better than Hattie B's.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:46 pm

We stopped in tonight before the APRON fundraiser at Meta.

I got the extra hot chicken tender plate. It came with two slices of white bread, and I thought "I don't want that white bread", and then WHOO, I totally scarfed down a whole piece of that white bread (Silvio, that is what that bread is there for!). I love spicy, but it was on the edge of too spicy (for me). Next time I'll dial it back to "hot". But the chicken was juicy and crispy, and the sides were totally on point. I got pimento grits (so good) and coleslaw. Now, I'm somewhat of a coleslaw snob, but this coleslaw was refreshing, cold, crisp and perfectly seasoned. Topped it off with a Fanta grape soda because their beer license is still pending. Food came out fast and hot (temperature hot) and HOT (spicy hot). John had a hot level chicken sandwich with pimento cheese, and it disappeared. His side was potato wedges and they were excellent.

Lots of cool beverage choices in the cooler, too - artisinal sodas and root beers and organic milks, plenty of sweet and unsweet tea, Ale81, you name it. Lots of dipping sauces to choose from.

Cute place, great quick service, plenty of seating. Get some!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:38 pm

hot chicken1.jpg

This is from the menu at Cracker Barrel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous