Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Is it too soon?

no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Is it too soon?

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:33 pm

Robin - FYI, today's press conference had a bit about what has been going on for months in that area. Now even SMPD is admitting it has been an on-going problem.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:02 pm

Back to your original post, safe to say it isn't a good time to post this question to Fuzzy Zoeller.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:43 pm

Suzi Bernert wrote:Robin - FYI, today's press conference had a bit about what has been going on for months in that area. Now even SMPD is admitting it has been an on-going problem.

I read that on WDRB-41, Suzy, and it sounded to this old reporter's ears like a fair amount of spinning going on. With all the backtracking, SMPD needs a narrative that excuses their decision to run several hundred (not thousand) kids out of the mall because shopping-while-black. :P
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:With all the backtracking, SMPD needs a narrative that excuses their decision to run several hundred (not thousand) kids out of the mall because shopping-while-black. :P

I kind of sensed from your first post that you would go in this direction. I don't entirely disagree, and while the SMPD messed up in a few areas (though I don't blame them for miscounting, as I don't think a small department should be expected to have experience in such matters), it is clear that some, albeit a limited amount, of wrongdoing took place. One example:
http://www.wdrb.com/story/30848647/moth ... see-my-son

My impression from the beginning, and from having a teenage kid, is that the Mall is an increasingly popular place. As a private business, they need to step up and provide adequate, trained security during peak hours, else their businesses will suffer, as I would hesitate to let my kid shop their with friends unless I felt that they could handle any future issues properly.

Also, as I parent, I have no problems with the newly announced policy changes. I can shop with my kid instead of dropping her off during certain hours. As a parent, that is my job.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:29 pm

While I certainly think that the new policy that they announced regarding adult supervision for anyone under 17 is a good step-I don't understand why it's only for Friday and Saturday nights. If it's a good policy for those nights it should be a good policy for every night.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:shopping-while-black. :P

<LOL>..."shopping" while black...yeah right...is that what they are calling it these days ? :roll: Stop by the Dillard's women's fragrance counters and men's clothing departments and chat up some of the associates who were working last Saturday night...they'll tell ya a few "shopping while black" stories.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:53 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Suzi Bernert wrote:Robin - FYI, today's press conference had a bit about what has been going on for months in that area. Now even SMPD is admitting it has been an on-going problem.

I read that on WDRB-41, Suzy, and it sounded to this old reporter's ears like a fair amount of spinning going on. With all the backtracking, SMPD needs a narrative that excuses their decision to run several hundred (not thousand) kids out of the mall because shopping-while-black. :P

Or it may be more of the story coming out. Last month my wife and I were in Toys R Us, next door to the mall when 10-15 kids came in and started just knocking stuff off the shelves onto the floor. No respect, no cares.They just came in to tear stuff up. We immediately decided to get out of there. When we went to the parking lot we saw dozens of more kids running through the lot, pushing random shopping carts all over the place. When I saw my next door neighbor the next day who is SMPD, I asked her about it. She said then that behavior was a growing problem in the area. I am not saying this was a riot or that there were 2,000 kids. What I am saying is that the story presented today about this being an ongoing issue is more than spin.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:47 am

Kris Billiter wrote:What I am saying is that the story presented today about this being an ongoing issue is more than spin.

Noted, with respect. I'm still concerned, though, that a city-wide issue that really needs thoughtful response, and at least a little broader understanding - even compassion - is being left in the hands of a small-city police department and town council/mayor. Meaning no disrespect to our neighbor. I have a couple of good friends who are retired SMPD and know them to have excellent judgment.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Kris Billiter wrote:What I am saying is that the story presented today about this being an ongoing issue is more than spin.

Noted, with respect. I'm still concerned, though, that a city-wide issue that really needs thoughtful response, and at least a little broader understanding - even compassion - is being left in the hands of a small-city police department and town council/mayor. Meaning no disrespect to our neighbor. I have a couple of good friends who are retired SMPD and know them to have excellent judgment.

With respect....Are you saying that when it comes to problems like these kids running amok...and make NO mistake about it, there were significant criminal acts (shoplifting, destruction of property) and acts civil disobedience (verbal and physical harassment...pushing, shoving, swearing, threatening, etc) which occurred last Saturday...that the police and/or citizens should respond with understanding and compassion ??? Is -that- what you're saying ?
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:31 pm

Steve P wrote:With respect....Are you saying that when it comes to problems like these kids running amok...and make NO mistake about it, there were significant criminal acts (shoplifting, destruction of property) and acts civil disobedience (verbal and physical harassment...pushing, shoving, swearing, threatening, etc) which occurred last Saturday...that the police and/or citizens should respond with understanding and compassion ??? Is -that- what you're saying ?

Steve, I've got nothing for you, buddy. Sorry, but I don't think we have enough vocabulary in common on this to make it work. Peace be with you.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

You are certainly correct that we have a citywide issue the heart of which is centered in the West End. The incident last Saturday as well those leading up to it however occurred in the SMPDs jurisdiction and from all reports they did a very commendable job of handling it. While long-term solutions definitely have to be citywide stopping the strings of vandalism, shoplifting, etc. that has been happening at the malls it's certainly a problem that needs to be handled by the local PD and mall security.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:21 pm

Bored kids out of school for too long with nothing to do. This time of year it happens everywhere. Remember when it was Tinsel Town waaaaaay out in the really white end of town with the teen disruption problem? I remember that myself. What fresh he** that was! I say year round school with much shorter holiday breaks. And how about some teen job opportunities? Maybe extra school credit for doing volunteer work during school holidays. Just give them something to do.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:39 am

So what happened???

There has to be some objective truth surrounding this. Did the Saturday after Christmas happen? Did I miss out on some awesome people watching at the mall, or did I miss out on some crazy keystone cop exploits? Or is it somewhere in between?
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:43 am

I can confirm the Saturday after Christmas did, in fact, occur. Other than that, the media has made the true story clear as mud. There was an interesting testimonial from a teen that was there on WDPL's website you might check out.
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw4yRkCd0Dk

These 911 calls don't make it seem like SMPD is providing much of a service.

TP I think you meant WFPL. I will look it up.
PreviousNext