Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Anniversary Dinner Help

no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Anniversary Dinner Help

by Scott_Shreffler » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:17 am

My wife and I will celebrate our first anniversary next weekend and we are trying to decide where to dine next Saturday night for the occasion. Right now we are trying to decide between Jack Fry's and Palermo Viejo. We know that the meals at either would be fantastic, as we have been to both and love them very much. However, we are having a hell of a time deciding, so we thought we'd put it out there and get some outside opinions. We are also open to other suggestions, if someone has a good one. My wife is a vegetarian, so that is something to factor into the equation. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:58 am

Jack Fry's, no question
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

David Lange

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

Louisville

by David Lange » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:49 am

I second that. Jack Fry's
David Lange
" Life's too short to drink bad coffee"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Anniversary Dinner Help

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:41 am

Scott_Shreffler wrote:My wife and I will celebrate our first anniversary next weekend and we are trying to decide where to dine next Saturday night for the occasion. Right now we are trying to decide between Jack Fry's and Palermo Viejo. We know that the meals at either would be fantastic, as we have been to both and love them very much. However, we are having a hell of a time deciding, so we thought we'd put it out there and get some outside opinions. We are also open to other suggestions, if someone has a good one. My wife is a vegetarian, so that is something to factor into the equation. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I'll agree with Jack Fry's primarily because of the vegetarian issue. Both restaurants (as you know) are outstanding, but meatless options are limited at Palermo Viejo. It can be done, but the vegetarian diner is limited to fewer choices there.

Otherwise, I wouldn't want to have to pick a winner between these two great favorites.
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:42 pm

Jack Fry's doesn't have a wealth of vegetarian options either. That doesn't mean that I don't love and recommend Jack Fry's (I ate there Friday night in fact) but the only completely meatless entrée on the menu is the potato gratin. It's fabulous of course but if your wife doesn't like heavier potato and cheese dishes it might not be for her.

I haven't been to Corbett's yet but from the menu I've seen there are at least 2 or 3 vegetarian options. I can't wait to try Corbett's for that reason alone. I've been waiting for fine dining establishments in this town to recognize that vegetarians like nice meals out as well. So any restaurant that offers more vegetarian options, as Corbett's appears to be doing, is going to get my business.
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:00 pm

I had a vegetable ravioli dish at Palermo which was fantastic. Maybe they are famous for meats, but I remember they had several vegetarian options on the menu
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

Jack Frys

by John Lisherness » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:22 pm

There are varying degrees of "Vegetarian" and if you wife eats fish, Jack Fry's always has a nice fish offering.
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks! Now all I can think about are the fries from PV!! Maybe we need to go there Saturday.....
no avatar
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

Another option

by Melissa Richards-Person » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Because you said you were willing to consider alternative options, I would offer two - the first being Equus. While Corbett's is getting all the "Press" right now, hubby and I have had wonderful special occation meals there with fabulous service. They also have a Vegetarian special every night, and while I've not ordered that, I've never had a bad entree or appetizer there.

And by seeing PV, I would guess you're both willing to do something "different" for the anniversary...so why not something like Basa? It's such an elegant room and the Brothers Ton are such gracious hosts, I can't imagine you not having a wonderful experience - especially if you let them know upon making the reservation that you are there for your anniversary. And their cuisine would be wonderfully vegetarian-friendly. Just an alternative to consider.

Happy anniversary! we celebrated our first in September, so best to you!