Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chicago-Style Pizza?

no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Chicago-Style Pizza?

by Joni L » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:44 pm

My boyfriend is on the hunt for a real Chicago-style pizza. I did a little internet research (including a string on this site), and it looks like the only "authentic" places in town have closed. Does anyone know of a hidden gem that we should check out?

Has anyone tried Impellizzeris' Sicilian deep dish? Is it worth trying? There are vastly mixed reviews online - "good" pizza is definitely a subjective term!

Thanks in advance!
Jo
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Chicago-Style Pizza?

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:58 pm

Joni, sadly, Windy City Pizza in the South End closed years ago. It was real Chicago pie (both deep dish and reg'lah) made by a Chicago guy. I'm not sure there's anything else that authentic here. For a chain, Old Chicago out Westport Road is kind of fun, but I can't testify to the pizza ... my pizza heritage is through NYC to Italy, so the Chicago stuff is all "casserole" to me. :lol:

Oh, you might look at Loui Loui's in J'town. It's "Detroit style," which is sort of shallow-dish, but I actually like it.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:04 pm

I'm going to Champaign, Ill., this weekend to visit friends. Whenever I go I always bring back a few Papa Del's take & bake pizzas to stick in the freezer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Joni Lemke wrote:Has anyone tried Impellizzeris' Sicilian deep dish? Is it worth trying? There are vastly mixed reviews online - "good" pizza is definitely a subjective term!

It's a pretty good pie in its own right but certainly not in any respect a good Chicago style pizza. As Robin mentioned there really aren't any good places for Chicago style pizza in Louisville but I do agree with him that probably the Detroit style at Loui Loui is probably as close you're going to get. The pizza at Old Chicago has more crust and less fillings than Chicago style.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Also, just to be a geek, I've got to say that Chicago deep-dish is much farther devolved from Sicily than NYC-style is evolved from Naples. Actually, now that I think about it, Loui Loui's is quite a bit like the kind of Sicilian pies served by Rizzo's on Steinway Ave. in Queens. Mmm, now I'm hungry.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Aside from my kitchen, the only thing even close that we've found here is at BJ's Brewpub in Oxmoor! Their pizzas have more crust than "true" Chicago pizzas, but they are (barely) acceptable, and are closer than any other we've been to. When we really need a fix - and I don't have time or inclination to cook - we go there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Thanks so much for the responses! I'm now officially starving after seeing those pictures!

Andrew, is your home recipe a closely-guarded secret? If not, would you be willing to share?

I will definitely check out your suggestions. The hunt is on!
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:23 am

I don't think it strictly qualifies as Chicago style, but Richo's/New Albanian in New Albany has an excellent deep dish pizza.

Barring that, I've read Giordano's is planning to open a new restaurant in Cincinnati. I believe there's also one in Indianapolis.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:02 am

Meh! Call me when Lou Malnati's opens a place here
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Joni Lemke wrote:Thanks so much for the responses! I'm now officially starving after seeing those pictures!

Andrew, is your home recipe a closely-guarded secret? If not, would you be willing to share?

I will definitely check out your suggestions. The hunt is on!

check your private messages . . .
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:19 pm

I guess it doesn't fit the definition, but Rich O's refrigerator pizza might be worth a mention.
no avatar
User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

by Tony D. » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:02 pm

Had the BJ's pizza served to me cold at the table. When I voiced my complaint the manager said that the kitchen staff is supposed to know to put it through the conveyor belt oven two times. Not Chicago pizza. When I ordered a lunch pizza at Old Chicago the waitress said that it would take twelve minutes, would that be a problem? Yes, also not Chicago pizza. Queenie's was Chicago pizza, but they are closed. Loui Loui's is a deep dish with sauce on top, but not baked for forty minutes like a true Chicago pizza. So, to my knowledge, no Chicago pizza in Louisville, but I would love to be proved wrong.
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:45 pm

but not baked for forty minutes like a true Chicago pizza.

Maybe that's the reason no one can find "real Chicago" pizza in Louisville. With all the other decent options, who wants to wait for nearly an hour for pizza. That timing might also add an enormous amount of labor to the final cost?
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:53 pm

Jerry C wrote:That timing might also add an enormous amount of labor to the final cost?

Probably not directly labor costs but table turnover is certainly going to be slower if the restaurant is crowded. Of course an upside might be that the longer people were sitting at the table before they get the food might lead to the higher alcohol sales.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"