Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Italian for dinner tonight?

User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

Italian for dinner tonight?

by Laura SS » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:50 pm

Taking my mother-in-law to dinner tonight, and she wants Italian (lasagna, spaghetti, etc.). I was thinking Silvio's, BLU, or Bella Roma in New Albany, but haven't been to any of them. What would you guys recommend? I can't think of the last great Italian meal I had out ....
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Italian for dinner tonight?

by Mark R. » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:16 pm

I haven't been to Bella Roma but I can comment on the other 2. They both have very good food but are very different. Blu is quite formal and the dishes are fancied up a little bit and of course the prices follow. Silvio's on the other hand is more down-home Italian cooking in a much more comfortable and homey atmosphere and the prices are also lower. The dishes are much more traditional and what you think of as Italian.

The choice between the 2 basically comes down to what you're looking for. Personally, if we were going out to dinner tonight for Italian we would go to Silvio's.

Another choice I don't know if you considered or not is DiFabio’s on Frankfort Avenue. It's another family run business that IMO kind of falls between the other 2 and actually it would probably by choice overall.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:54 pm

Silvio's being the reborn Melillo's, I don't see how you could go wrong! Of course, for the kind of Italian she's looking for there is also DiFabio's Casapela on Frankfort, which is a little more pricey but very nice.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:39 pm

We had another great meal at DiFabios last night. I would never call it pricey, but I've not been to Silvios.
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Laura SS » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:41 pm

This is super-helpful, gang! Thanks very much. We did DiFabio's a while back and liked it, but I think Silvio's will win for the new-experience factor. Will report back after.
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Laura SS » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:26 pm

Turns out Silvio's was booked until 8:30 PM, which was a no-go for us. Luckily Cafe Lou Lou brought their A-game. Mother-in-law lover her lasagna and my scallop special was delectable! Very capable wine advice brought the experience up a level, as did stellar desserts.