Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Craft House in Germantown

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Craft House in Germantown

by TP Lowe » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:10 pm

Per Business First: "Bluegrass Brewing Co. owner Pat Hagan is planning to add a new restaurant in Germantown."
The rest here: http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/b ... ntown.html
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Craft House in Germantown

by Iggy C » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Great! I am looking forward to it, assuming it is similar to Craft House, which I like. Goss is really exploding right now. I seem to remember a place is going into the Germantown Loft development down the street, plus a cocktail bar where Groucho's used to be, too. I do wonder at what point we reach peak gastropub for Germantown/Schnitzelburg.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:30 pm

Update on their plans, which look pretty cool:

http://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_ ... mmer-2016/
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:48 pm

There's a thread on the Germantown FB page saying that this place has closed. A shame, if true. The food was good (I quite liked the pork chop), the beer selection was extensive and local, and I liked the space.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:02 pm

Iggy C wrote:There's a thread on the Germantown FB page saying that this place has closed. A shame, if true. The food was good (I quite liked the pork chop), the beer selection was extensive and local, and I liked the space.

That's awfully surprising ... it seems like a quick exit from a significant rehab investment!
User

michael.powell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

by michael.powell » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Reposting here what I wrote on the Welp! Facebook page.

Intrigued by this line: "The source said a perceived reason for the Craft House’s lack of success in its 1030 Goss Ave. location is that it was 'too nice and too expensive in the neighborhood'."

If the Craft House is too nice for the decidedly salt-of-the-earth Germantown, then Mr. Lee's unnecessarily high-falutin' send-up of The Violet Hour, named after an Asian dude that doesn't exist to give it that Far East flair, is in big big trouble. Can the Loft People (LPs for short) keep the $14 cocktails pourin'?
“Shut the front door, son of Tatum O’Neal, that’s dynamite.” - Guy Fieri
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Insider Louisville says a different restaurant is planned for the location. I'm glad of that, but it's a shame for the people losing their jobs just before Christmas.

http://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_ ... l-concept/

Germantown Craft House management informed 20 employees at a meeting today that the restaurant is closed, effective immediately, according to a source.

Based on an anonymous tip, Insider Louisville was able to confirm the closure from one of the 20 now former employees, who asked that their name not be used. At about 2:30 p.m., a Facebook user posted, in part, “Shoutout to the homies at Germantown Craft House who randomly lost their job today for no damn reason.”

Confirmation came with word that the restaurant is planning another concept to go into the space, which only opened this past summer. The new concept will be a fast-casual restaurant, but further details weren’t provided. The source did say employees were told they would be placed in jobs in that new venture if at all possible, and that management would help with possible employment elsewhere.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:21 pm

The space was quite nice. The beer was very good. But honestly, it was one of the very few places in decades where I sent food back. I'll look forward to the next venture.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:22 pm

michael.powell wrote:Reposting here what I wrote on the Welp! Facebook page.

Intrigued by this line: "The source said a perceived reason for the Craft House’s lack of success in its 1030 Goss Ave. location is that it was 'too nice and too expensive in the neighborhood'."

If the Craft House is too nice for the decidedly salt-of-the-earth Germantown, then Mr. Lee's unnecessarily high-falutin' send-up of The Violet Hour, named after an Asian dude that doesn't exist to give it that Far East flair, is in big big trouble. Can the Loft People (LPs for short) keep the $14 cocktails pourin'?

Hope that doesn't bode ill for Eiderdown and Monnik, which have similar pricing. Or maybe they're just wrong that the price point was the main issue -- maybe they had trouble standing out from those places.
User

michael.powell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

by michael.powell » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:49 pm

Iggy C wrote:
michael.powell wrote:Reposting here what I wrote on the Welp! Facebook page.

Hope that doesn't bode ill for Eiderdown and Monnik, which have similar pricing. Or maybe they're just wrong that the price point was the main issue -- maybe they had trouble standing out from those places.

I rarely believe the reason given for a concept closing. If you think Taco Punk closed because of the bridges projects, I've got some local beachfront property to sell you!

In all seriousness, there were probably a number of factors, as is the case for restaurants open less than a year. Eiderdown has stood the test of time and expanded slowly as their business grew and retrofitted an existing storefront, rather than race out with an entirely new and costly construction project.
“Shut the front door, son of Tatum O’Neal, that’s dynamite.” - Guy Fieri
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:17 am

Not surprised, although I didn't expect it to fold quite so quickly. Talk about a place that missed it's mark. When I walked in, it seemed to have a wine-bar vibe (and price point) rather than a beer house. While I thought the décor was quite nice, I was struck by how much it must have cost to construct. I'm not shocked that they were not seeing the return on investment they needed to make it work.
I'm not worried about the ventures on the other side of the street (Four Pegs, The Post, and Eiderdown) as their business models seem a much better fit for the neighborhood and what they are trying to do.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:16 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:I'm not worried about the ventures on the other side of the street (Four Pegs, The Post, and Eiderdown) as their business models seem a much better fit for the neighborhood and what they are trying to do.

Absolutely agree. Eiderdown in particular has pretty clearly found its niche, and a strong one. I'd say the same of Monnick, which may be newer but is doing Germantown right.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:56 am

I love Monnik. Easily the best brewpub in town, in my opinion. Of course I am biased by my love for saisons and $15 for a well-executed sauerbraten is tough to beat.
Eiderdown is fantastic as well. That duck fat popcorn alone is worth the stop.
Shout-out to Four Pegs, too. I've never found a more authentic, delicious British-style Fish and chips on this side of the pond. Well, the fish anyway, as their "chips" are more akin to pomme frites than British chips. And of course, no yesterday's news but I doubt that would fly according to our codes. Do yourself a favor and pop in if you have a craving for beer-battered fish. You'll not be disappointed.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:03 pm

There's a very successful restaurant in Seaside Florida that's been there about 25 years. One of the few on the beach. The same owner bought a previous restaurant property in Panama City Beach and they may have closed after less than 6 months. The over priced food and drinks did not go over well there and they decided, wisely, to pull the plug sooner than later. They put a lot of money into the remodel also. Sounds similar. Ellen

(Bud & Alley's in Seaside)
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:53 pm

The local food scene is becoming too glutinous and saturated. Greedy restaurant owners think they can just build it and they will come. Many making the same mistakes because they aren't doing their homework and just thinking about $$$. I mean, jesus christ. They seriously thought Craft (oooo, original name there) would thrive. Look around! The place looks like a freaking Buckheads Mountain Grill.