Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Welcome to America. Welcome Home.

no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Welcome to America. Welcome Home.

by Stephen D » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:54 pm

This is one of the coolest things I believe I have seen.

From Larry Rice:

'We are having Thanksgiving dinner at El Camino at 5 pm for the war refugees relocated here in Louisville.

The staff at both places have stepped up and volunteered to help.

Our Chefs are cooking Hala turkey and a whole roasted Hala Lamb.

Anyone wanting to help; side dishes, desserts and company are appreciated.

Some of us are arriving at 2 to start set up and anyone is welcome to join us.I'd love to show these folks some community support after all that they have been through.

We are looking for vans and or a bus to help with transportation at 4:15/ 4:30

We're expecting 50-75 refugees and from the looks of it close to that number in volunteers.

There will be lots of children so anyone with activities to keep them busy would be appreciated.

Out of respect for their beliefs please no pork or alcohol.'
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Welcome to America. Welcome Home.

by GaryF » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:04 am

I was so excited when I saw this on FB last night- what a great idea! I went out today to get a bunch of stuff for the kids. I wish I had access to transportation- surely someone will step up.
Way to go Larry & Co.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:42 am

I believe something similar is also happening at the Silver Dollar on Thanksgiving. I'll try to dig up particulars.
no avatar
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:52 am

Stephen: This sounds great! We can't help with transportation, but would like to pitch in. Any idea on specifics on what else is needed, or who to contact for more info?
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:59 am

One of the most memorable things for my family coming here from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina was seeing the signs on the Thornton's stations that said "Welcome new Louisville families." Don't underestimate the power of even the smallest gesture to someone who's lost everything.

That being said, it saddens me a bit to see so many of my fellow Katrina people being adamant that we shouldn't allow Syrian refugees into the country.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:52 pm

Steve A wrote:Stephen: This sounds great! We can't help with transportation, but would like to pitch in. Any idea on specifics on what else is needed, or who to contact for more info?

You can call El Camino at 454.5417 and they'll point you in the right direction.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:51 pm

This is really cool. Makes me like El Camino even more than I already did.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:29 pm

This is beautiful. Thank you for doing such a good deed.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Tracey E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:36 pm

by Tracey E » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:33 pm

I want to thank Robin for posting this on the LHB Facebook page!

Susie Hoyt (susie@whiskeybythedrink.com) is coordinating the volunteer efforts. If you are making food, you can email her the recipe, which will be translated into both Arabic and Spanish so that people can be aware of allergens or haram ingredients. I'm guessing that since she has taken this over that she will have a list of who has volunteered what to-date.

Food should not contain pork products or alcohol. You can get halal lamb/chicken broth at Whole Foods. There is also halal jello/gelatin- I'm guessing that the Value Market in the south end might carry this (am I the only one who makes a jello salad at Thanksgiving? Such a throwback from my childhood!).

Larry says they are now expecting 100+ refugees. They need transportation from the refugee center at Highland and Cherokee. They are also looking for activities/treats for the kids who are coming, and the Refugee Center is collecting warm clothing (Larry has also posted a list of household items that the Center distributes- his facebook page is public).

I look forward to meeting some of you on Thursday at this awesome event!
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:21 pm

Just now saw this and am leaving town with no time to help out. Please please let us know if someone will be doing something around Christmas. I'm in!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson