Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

CJ likes Thai Taste, mostly

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ likes Thai Taste, mostly

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:24 am

Marty gives a generally positive review to Thai Taste today, starting off talking about it in glowing terms but losing enthusiasm at the end after running into a couple of dishes that didn't make his socks go up and down. Fair enough - his 2 1/2 star rating pretty much matches his words in this 562-word review - but I'm a little surprised, as I'm a frequent diner at this little family-run Clifton favorite, and I've rarely if ever run into the kind of problems he encountered.

[url=http://cityguide.courier-journal.com/fe/RestaurantReviews/Profile.asp?businessid=47448]A tasty blend of flavors
Thai Taste has 5 levels of heat[/url]

<B>Thai Taste</B>
1977 Brownsboro Road
(502) 897-7682

(Address edited to correct the newspaper's typo.)
Last edited by Robin Garr on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

Insipid review

by John Lisherness » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:45 am

I too was a bit surprised by the mixed review. It's one thing to make glowing remarks on a dish that one likes, but his reference to the green curry as "insipid" was, well, itself insipid. I've had the green curry there and think their version of this dish has a wonderful mixture of textures and flavors. It may not have matched his previous experiences and expectation of the dish, but his review of this dish was a waste of words.
The lesson is to remember that just because he's paid to review food and restaurants, his tastes at times may differ from mine and the general public.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Insipid review

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:46 pm

John Lisherness wrote:The lesson is to remember that just because he's paid to review food and restaurants, his tastes at times may differ from mine and the general public.

Well said. Marty's predecessor was horrible about this, but in fairness, Marty is usually very good about it. On the other hand, it could be that Thai Taste just slipped up on this one dish on one particular night. (The green curry there is one of my wife's favorites, though, and I love it too ... I can hardly imagine it as "insipid," and can't honestly say that I've ever had a dish at Thai Taste that deserves that particular criticism.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:48 pm

I've never had the green curry, but Thai Taste is on the list as our "go-to" place when it comes to Thai food. Their Pad Thai is "comfort food" at it's best.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:44 pm

Thai taste has always been pretty solid for me too Robin. Though I may have a preference to Thai Smile 5, Thai taste is pretty good and very consistent. I also see that some of their help also work at Sala thai so I dont know if there is a connection between the two other that the worker and the quality.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Chris Hutton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:07 pm

louisville

by Chris Hutton » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:17 am

I guess I need to try the restaurant again. Did not like it much last time but that was couple years ago.

It was better though than the Spring Deer(I think); that was in same spot before.
no avatar
User

Brad K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:56 pm

by Brad K » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:15 pm

Is Thai Taste located at 4977 Brownsboro as indicated in this thread and the CJ review or 1977 Brownsboro as indicated in Robin's review?

Brad K
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:21 pm

Brad K wrote:Is Thai Taste located at 4977 Brownsboro as indicated in this thread and the CJ review or 1977 Brownsboro as indicated in Robin's review?

Good question. It's 1977. The CJ erred, and I picked up their error when I copied-and-pasted the address from Marty's review.

Specifically, it's in the small strip center on the north side of Brownsboro a few blocks west (toward downtown) from Dirty Kroger.
no avatar
User

Brad K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Brad K » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Brad K wrote:Is Thai Taste located at 4977 Brownsboro as indicated in this thread and the CJ review or 1977 Brownsboro as indicated in Robin's review?

Good question. It's 1977. The CJ erred, and I picked up their error when I copied-and-pasted the address from Marty's review.

Specifically, it's in the small strip center on the north side of Brownsboro a few blocks west (toward downtown) from Dirty Kroger.

Thanks for the clarification. This isn't my home town...so the more accurate the info, the better.

Especially when I'm hungry :)

Brad K
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:35 pm

Brad K wrote:This isn't my home town...so the more accurate the info, the better.

Especially when I'm hungry :)

So you would probably really hate it if we told you it's real close to where the Brownsboro Road Lum's used to be? Or in the storefront that was once Spring Deer?

Just askin' ... ;)
no avatar
User

Brad K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Brad K » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:So you would probably really hate it if we told you it's real close to where the Brownsboro Road Lum's used to be? Or in the storefront that was once Spring Deer?

Just askin' ... ;)

Completely meaningless :)

Brad K
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:05 pm

Does the term "Dirty Kroger" have any relation to "Dirty Minn's Cafe"?