Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

World of Beer - Open in Brownsboro Crossing

by Steve P » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:07 pm

Stopped in this afternoon for a pint and a burger...

This MIGHT be the best beer selection in town...didn't count the drafts but it was in the 40-45 handle range. Lots of local stuff both draft and bottled....Basically if you've seen it at the Liquor Barn, they've got it here. The food is pub fair, so don't expect some chef driven experience. My burger was -ok-...say a 7.5 on a 10 scale. The room consists of a bar with maybe 20 stools and about 12 or 14 tables, primarily high tops (padded stools w/ no backs) and a few low tables. Lots of TV's but if you are sitting at the bar you damn near snap your neck craning to see 'em. Note: Their early closing hours on Sunday prevent this from being a "go to" place for Sunday night football. I didn't notice a "hostess stand" so I'm assuming the seating is "first come - first serve"...but who knows. The bar sound-track is "classic rock" and they do plan to have bands on Fri/Sat (no "stage" so I'm assuming just your basic acoustic/electric three man band kind of thing). The (afternoon) crowd was decidedly mature...prolly 35 and up with nary a single man-bun-wearing-hipster-beer-geek in sight.

That is all.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Re: World of Beer - Open in Brownsboro Crossing

by Tony G » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Is Sergio part of this?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:25 am

Tony G wrote:Is Sergio part of this?

I was wondering the same thing Tony. When I looked them up on line it said it was a chain out of Florida and that this one (on Brownsboro Rd) was the first in the area. So...I'm guessing not affiliated with Sergio.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:39 am

Chain. Corporate trainers from Tampa were there.
We love the space. Love the beer list. We sat at the bar. Using their tablet we could look up styles, countries, etc of bottle beer selection. I counted 60+ IPAs/double IPAs. !!!
They have a $15 loyalty program that will get you points as you work your way through the bottled beer list. Comes with a shirt, maybe something else.
The bartenders were way too corporate for me. Heavy, heavy selling of everything. One corporate guy criticized local brew pubs stating that he heard they didn't have good food. I wanted to tell him - didn't see him again - that no one should sell something by criticizing the competition. We must have had 5 to 7 different bartenders selling, asking us how everything was, taking our next order.
Had the huge pretzel with beer cheese and mustard and shared the reuben. All good.
Love the beer selection. Love the interior and exterior - fire pit area. Close to our home, maybe 5 minutes away.
We will definitely be stopping in there.
Ellen
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Yeah, hopefully they will tone things down a little when the corporate people go home...As it is right now the bartenders are quite annoying (while at the same time being -very- nice and polite). I sat at the bar for -maybe- half an hour and must have had 6 or 7 or them introduce themselves and ask me what my name was...("Bond...James Bond"...that usually shut 'em up) They are -really- pushing the "loyalty" program...(Which I hope they've done their homework on because Kentucky laws are weird in that regard...just ask the GMs at Old Chicago). The cost is 15 bucks to join and you get a shirt and earn "points"...once you accumulate 500 points they throw you and a couple of friends a $250 "party".

Here's a link to their menu...

http://worldofbeer.com/TavernMenus/Louisville

Because of my wife's allergies to gluten I don't see us dining here often (there are exactly 3 things on the menu they call Gluten "friendly"...two appetizers and a salad)...That personal note aside, The beer list alone is enough to make this a popular far east-side hang out.
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:40 pm

I stopped by yesterday and had pretty much the same experience. The space is a little smaller than I expected, but it looks nice.

I agree - great draft beer list and extensive bottle list. Better than Old Chicago.

My friend and I tried the wings - not bad, but not especially memorable either. Beer was fresh, go figure, and not served overly chilled. I didn't look around to much and I didn't ask, but I don't think they offer many beers like Bud Lite and Coors, which is fine with me.

My only surprise is that they did not offer any Bells beer.

I'll be back!

Cheers,

Doug
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ellen P » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Love their beer list. Easy to navigate. Anyway. They do have 4 Bell's listed in the Louisville location, whether they had them in house yet or not, I don't know. Actually stayed away from familiar beers (IPAs) and had the Belgium flight with my food and finished with the Goodwood wine barrel saison. (I think the bottles are 30% off the menu price if you want to put together a 6 pack. Also, growler sales in a couple of weeks.)
Ellen
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ellen P » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:15 pm

Also, they have a happy hour. Not yesterday. Maybe starting today. 3:00 to 7:00 and 10:00 to 12:00.
$4 selected beer(s); $5 appetizer(s). They were clear about that and avoided much discussion about it:-)
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:21 pm

Doug W wrote:I stopped by yesterday and had pretty much the same experience. The space is a little smaller than I expected, but it looks nice.

I agree - great draft beer list and extensive bottle list. Better than Old Chicago.

My friend and I tried the wings - not bad, but not especially memorable either. Beer was fresh, go figure, and not served overly chilled. I didn't look around to much and I didn't ask, but I don't think they offer many beers like Bud Lite and Coors, which is fine with me.

No swill beer and no kiddie chicken fingers...what's not to like :lol: They had Two Hearted in Bottles at around 3pm...<shrugs>....Maybe they were just out of it when you got there.
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:48 pm

I will give them credit for having an accessible tap list in suburbia without 9 different macro lagers.

Let's call it a greatest hits double album. Lots of tracks to fill with the hits you know. But let's not put it on the level of Sergio's, Holy Grale, Highlands mellow mushroom or crescent hill craft house.

<might as well continue with the music cliches>
They appear to be playing to the audience rather than appealing to the "heads".

Don't take that as a criticism. They know the formula for business success as well as anyone. Unless the food is outstanding I can't see it as anything more than a better beer outlet when visiting the area. An evolved Old Chicago.
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

by GriffinPaulin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:44 pm

No local breweries with good food?

Oh. Okay.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:35 pm

GriffinPaulin wrote:No local breweries with good food?

Oh. Okay.

Maybe I'm missing something, Griffin, but I do see a pretty good roster of locals there. 3 Floyds, Against the Grain, Apocalypse, BBC, Cumberland, Falls City, Goodwood, Lexington Brewing, New Albanian, Upland, West 6th, and not-quite local but regionally popular Schlafly and Bell’s. I also see some good micros from around the nation, some excellent imports, and some industrial swill and some faux micros from the swillmakers. I see a list so long that I wonder about their capacity to serve it all fresh and to keep the draft lines well curated, but I haven’t been, so I can’t comment.

http://worldofbeer.com/FindABeer/Louisville
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Oops - I need to clarify, they didn't have any Bells on draft. My bad :)
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:21 am

Robin Garr wrote:
GriffinPaulin wrote:No local breweries with good food?

Oh. Okay.

Maybe I'm missing something, Griffin, but I do see a pretty good roster of locals there. 3 Floyds, Against the Grain, Apocalypse, BBC, Cumberland, Falls City, Goodwood, Lexington Brewing, New Albanian, Upland, West 6th, and not-quite local but regionally popular Schlafly and Bell’s. I also see some good micros from around the nation, some excellent imports, and some industrial swill and some faux micros from the swillmakers. I see a list so long that I wonder about their capacity to serve it all fresh and to keep the draft lines well curated, but I haven’t been, so I can’t comment.

http://worldofbeer.com/FindABeer/Louisville

I think Griffin is noting the remark about none of the local brew pubs serving good food.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:25 am

Steve Eslinger wrote:I think Griffin is noting the remark about none of the local brew pubs serving good food.

Oh. D'oh! :oops:
Next