Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Seafood on Monday?

User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

Seafood on Monday?

by Brand M » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:34 pm

Myself,I usually do not order seafood on Sunday or Monday unless I personally know the chef.I know this is an UPS town but ..... we are 600 miles inland and I know most food orders are recieved on Tuesday and Thursday. Opinions?
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Where I work we can (and usually do) have seafood delivered 6 days a week. I think Anthony Bourdain later said he wished he hadn't stressed that "don't eat seafood on Monday" thing in Kitchen Confidential quite so much.

The real thing about Mondays that a lot of restaurants have in common is that that is often the head chef's second day off in a row, so, if standards are ever going to slip, that might be when they do. Truly, though, if you have a good team the food will be directly on point any day of the week.

I just try not to order it (seafood) on Friday :D
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 am

Still Very True

by todd richards » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:26 pm

It's not the day in which you order it. It is the day your seafood company recieved it. The last day they "usually" receive fsh is Thursday. That would mean the fish on Monday is minumum 5 days out the water.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:37 pm

Or the freshest start of the week?
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:14 am

So it sounds like mid week is the best? I just assume that any seafood I get in Louisville, with some exceptions, isn't going to be at the quality as one would get on the coast so eat it at any time is my philosophy.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:05 am

John R. wrote:So it sounds like mid week is the best? I just assume that any seafood I get in Louisville, with some exceptions, isn't going to be at the quality as one would get on the coast so eat it at any time is my philosophy.

Obvious, but not necessarily correct. Similar to what Todd pointed out about most deliveries coming in <i>to the supplier</i> Tuesday through Thursday, you need to consider the quality and commitment of the retailer. There's the rub in some coastal cities. When we lived in NYC, I <i>could</i> go down to the then-Lower East Side Fulton Fish Market or to a high-quality vendor like Balducci's or Dean & DeLuca and get outstanding fresh fish from a competent purveyor.

But we lived in Queens, and while a lot of the food options were great (our neighborhood, Astoria, had more Greeks than any city in the world outside Athens, and Greek restaurants to match), the neighorhood fish markets were pretty scummy. They looked nice, just like European markets. But the owners thought nothing of keeping fish around on ice for a week, washing them down with Clorox when they started to get "ripe."

In Louisville, the top vendors are committed to quality, and they get fish fast and move it fast and don't sell old fish as if it were new. We pay for this privilege ... but I'm far happier with my local suppliers (Highland, Seafood Connection) in Louisville than I ever was in Queens.

In this era of high-speed transportation and distribution, distance from salt water hardly matters. <i>if you're willing to pay the price</i>. But quality all along the distribution stream does matter.

(It's also worth noting that Louisville, perhaps because of a significant Catholic population, has always been an unusually fish-happy place for an inland town. Mazzoni's has been rolling fresh oysters since 1884, and the L&N railroad used to have special express trains pulling cars full of fish and ice since that same historical time.
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:19 am

Regardless of the day of the week, the seafood will have some age on it. Costal cities are the only place you get FRESH seafood, but even on the coast the product can be 5-7 days old when they get it. Boats usually go out for days or even weeks at a time to fish. It really depends on the product they are fishing.

The most important thing to consider is the supplier, not the day of the week. Most of the restaurants in town strive to have the freshest product on hand at all times. Louisville being heavily into Cod, Pollack, Haddock, shrimp, catfish most of this product is purchased and received frozen.

Don't get stressed on the day of the week.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:09 am

Our good friend Al Musinski that regularly posts here would be able to give us a time line on fresh fish for at least one of the big suppliers here in town. What say you Al?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Al Musinski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

seafood on monday.

by Al Musinski » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Glad to Carla. I have always followed the rule of not eating sushi on monday because of a bad past experience. Fresh fish is a different story. If a seafood/food service distributor and the restaurant handle their seafood in the correct manner there is nothing to be afraid of. I know that our company brings in fresh seafood three times a week. Monday-Wednesday and Friday. Most of the product on friday are things like oysters, scallops and whole fish that hold up well and we know will be going to the markets outside of louisville. They order their products over the weekend or on monday and recieve them on Monday,Tuesday or wednesday. We also practice if any of our seafood gets close dated we put it in the freezer and sell it at a discount to our customers that can use it more as an ingredient than as an entree. If you use the frozen product within a few days it is safe. Great for smoking or stews. I love seafood and most of us can really tell if it is fresh after the first bite. I will say we have some great restaurants in this city and I have been in most of their kitchens because of my line of work. I am not afraid to eat fresh seafood on Mondays at any of the more popular ones that are posted in this site. I still won't eat sushi on Mondays but fresh fish I will. Monday sushi is a thing with me.
I always think better with a full stomach.