Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Tracey E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Shocked by Drunken Chicken ad

by Tracey E » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:45 pm

Drunken_Chicken.jpg
Drunken_Chicken.jpg (105.2 KiB) Viewed 8072 times
Ronnie,

As you know, I was really looking forward to the Drunken Chicken opening up near campus. But I was shocked to see the ad that you posted in The Cardinal. I didn't actually see it in the paper- it is circulating on FB accompanied by angry comments from female students and complaints from several student groups.

At a time when the university is under fire for cultural insensitivity AND dealing with a sex scandal involving prostitutes and the basketball team, many feel that this was inappropriate. And perhaps not the best way to introduce a new business to the university community.

I wanted to give you a heads up because I sincerely doubt that you meant to offend and I would like for you to succeed at this location but I admit, that I am not comfortable patronizing a restaurant that projects this image.

Cheers,

Tracey
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Tracey Eckersley wrote:
Drunken_Chicken.jpg
Ronnie,

As you know, I was really looking forward to the Drunken Chicken opening up near campus. But I was shocked to see the ad that you posted in The Cardinal. I didn't actually see it in the paper- it is circulating on FB accompanied by angry comments from female students and complaints from several student groups. ...

I don't really find it offensive but this is certainly terrible marketing. Who's this supposed to actually be aimed at anyway, Kevin Hart? I mean it's actually pretty racist from the three finger ring and the bottle of booze to the walking stick and the misspelling of scared. Hopefully this wasn't their entire marketing budget.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:10 pm

First and foremost, this WAS NOT OF MY DOING. I am not associated with the Drunken Chicken or it's development team in any way. I had been brought in to do some initial consulting and some system development, but apart from that I have not been a part of the development of this store or concept. Anyone who knows me, knows that this ad and everything it stands for are diametrically opposed to my values. I knew nothing of the ad until this post.

Secondly, it is my understanding that the Drunken Chicken is an emerging concept that was spun off of the J. Gumbo's model, but it is NOT representative of J. Gumbo's or the values upheld by the J. Gumbo's brand. It was meant to be developed as a "bigger brother" sit-down concept.

Third, I am contacting someone from the Drunken Chicken for comment on this issue. Please stand by.
Last edited by RonnieD on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Tracey E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Shocked by Drunken Chicken ad

by Tracey E » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks, Ronnie, for your quick reply!

I hadn't realized that you were just a consultant on this project, as you had mentioned that it was a replacement for the J. Gumbo's at UofL.

I will say that the ad appeared again in this week's Cardinal and the negative response is growing. I have now heard from staff and faculty about both the inappropriate nature of the ad and that it projects a unsavory image of the new establishment. No one I have talked to on campus is in a rush to try this place out, which is a shame because in terms of food, I think it is a great addition to the neighborhood.

Cheers,

Tracey
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:37 am

We have been there and we liked it. If I had seen that ad prior to going, we would not have gone. I hope the operators get the message that they WILL NOT get customers this way. They will get "looky loos" that think it is a "hos and bros" bar. If it is aiming to be a sit down-down concept, this is not the way to market it.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:10 am

Aside from the offensiveness, I'm just not seeing any promotional aspect. Maybe I'm missing the joke.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:24 am

This is the official statement from The Drunken Chicken:

"The ownership of the Drunken Chicken would like to apologize for our advertisement in the Nov. 11 edition of the Louisville Cardinal. The concept, and associated marketing, clearly crossed the line. It was never our intention to cause offense, but we have heard your criticisms and agree that the advertisement was unacceptable. The ownership of the Drunken Chicken takes sole responsibility for this breach of good taste and sensitivity. The concept was created in conjunction with sister brand, J. Gumbo's, but is wholly separate from that entity and its development and operations team. The ownership of the J. Gumbo's brand had no part in the development, creation, or approval of the advertisement. The advertisement in question was developed and listed solely by The Drunken Chicken, and those responsible for the advertisement have been terminated. The Drunken Chicken is an equal opportunity employer and restaurant, and continues to welcome all people through our doors. We sincerely apologize for our mistake, and for any offense it may have caused our Louisville community."

I would like to reiterate that I had nothing to do with this ad or the development of this concept and I am as dismayed as the rest of you.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:03 am

RonnieD wrote:... those responsible for the advertisement have been terminated.

Well, that's strong. :shock: I'd say that anyone who's not satisfied with that should just shut it. :)

Thanks for seeing that this got taken care of, Ronnie!
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:36 am

They terminated those responsible for the ad?

The ownership didn't approve the ad themselves?? :roll:
no avatar
User

Tracey E

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Tracey E » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:53 am

Wow!

Thanks Ronnie! I would suggest that the Drunken Chicken might want to send that apology as a letter to the editor of the Cardinal so that the university community is aware of this.

Cheers,

Tracey
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:59 am

That's all the answers I have, or honestly wish to have. Since it's not my project and I'm not looking to represent the restaurant or Brand, I'm going to let it stand and get back to my own list of challenges.

Tracey,

I will recommend that.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Aside from the offensiveness, I'm just not seeing any promotional aspect. Maybe I'm missing the joke.

I also found the message of the ad to be unclear. :?:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:18 am

Ronnie D, thank you for standing up and clarifying all connections and non- connections. I will continue to patron J Gumbos, gladly.

The ad for Drunkin Chicken and "pimpin" and "scared hens" was so callous and disgusting that I will not be going there. SOMEONE associated with that restaurant approved that ad. This college level misogyny has got to stop.

Having said that, now I will "shut it" as Robin suggested.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Carla G wrote:Having said that, now I will "shut it" as Robin suggested.

:lol:

Now I'm ashamed! :oops:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:07 am

Carla G wrote:The ad for Drunkin Chicken and "pimpin" and "scared hens" was so callous and disgusting that I will not be going there. SOMEONE associated with that restaurant approved that ad. This college level misogyny has got to stop.

It sounds like those who approved that ad have been fired, and that the owners have stopped the "college level misogyny" already.
Next