Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Good for teens

no avatar
User

donna.zawatski

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Good for teens

by donna.zawatski » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:22 pm

I am bringing a group of kids from Illinois to Louisville to perform at the Jazz Education Network concert in early January. They are 6th - 9th graders and we will have a number of adults accompanying us. We are staying at the Galt House in downtown and would like to find restaurants/activities nearby. We do have transportation, if necessary. I would love any ideas for how to keep these kids entertained and fed for parts of 4 days? Thanks in advance.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Good for teens

by Mark R. » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:29 pm

There are lots of dining opportunities within walking distance of the Galt House and endless opportunities if you want to drive. What kind of food you think the group would be interested in? Are they the type that would want to go to places that have food like they are used to like pizza and burgers or would they like to venture out and try some new and different items? It would also be helpful to have a rough idea what kind of budget limitations you are looking at.

Give us a little more information and we can provide you with all kinds of good suggestions, you've definitely come to the right place! :!:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

donna.zawatski

{ RANK }

Just got here

by donna.zawatski » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks for your response. I would imagine that they would love pizza and burgers. We should probably look for meals that are under $15 if possible.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:38 pm

I am a retired teacher and it is that hat, not my "foodie" hat that I am wearing as I write this reply. Most of my students were middle schoolers. I took them to many field trips in L'ville. The following were my students favorite downtown eateries: The Old Spaghetti Factory (by far and away their favorite), the Original Impellizzeri's (pizza) and Los Aztecas Mexican Restaurant. If your students are adventurous they may enjoy Addis Bar & Grill, an Ethiopian restaurant. Chainwise, there is a Qudoba on South Fourth Street, a Jimmy Johns on West Jefferson a White Castle on East Market and many more!

As to activites, Museum Row on Main Street has many attractions and is easily walkable. My students' favorites were the Muhammad Ali Center; the Louisville Slugger Muesuem and Factory, the Frazier History Museum; The Kentucky Science Center (make certain to see "The Kentucky Show").

You may also want to consider The Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft and/or The Mark Peyton Glass Center at the Glassworks, the latter offers both guided and self-guided tours. Most of my students enjoyed visiting 21C Museum Hotel, maybe not as much for the art work as to visit the first floor restrooms!

Since you have transportation, I'd considered visiting the Falls of the Ohio in Clarskville, IN. It has been undergoing serious renovation; the Intepretive Center will reopen on January 8!

Have a great visit!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:50 pm

Don't forget that the new Mussel & Burger bar just opened on W. Main St. which is very close to where they will be staying. Most of the burgers on the menu would get you in within the budget she discussed. Certainly a much different experience than any of the others mentioned and on the top of the food pyramid in Louisville! Depending on the weather even 4th Street Live isn't that far with all of its options although in the evenings at least most of the other set up for the older, drinking crowd.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:00 pm

What Gayle said, but be sure to call ahead! At one time several of the places she listed would give "group pricing", and it's certainly worth trying . . . I believe the Old Spaghetti Factory was one that did that, and even some of the fast food places will give discounts, free meals for the adults, whatever.

The museums all have group pricing, and some can even provide docents to show the kids the most interesting items.

Finally, the Frazier History Museum doesn't sound wonderful, but the third floor has knights in armor from the British armory museum and kids tend to enjoy it more than you'd think.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

paula.evans

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 pm

by paula.evans » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Donna,
Depending on when you are arriving or leaving, the Bristol downtown on Main street has a good buffet on Sunday's from breakfast through lunch. I would also consider Feast, a barbeque restaurant downtown on Market Street. I agree with the positive thoughts on the Louisville Slugger Museum, the Frazier Museum and the Fossil museum on the Jeffersonville side of the river. You might want to consider a walk across the bridge from Louisville's Waterfront Park to Downtown Jeffersonville if the weather permits - it would give them some exercise and great photo shots of Louisville. Also, the Kentucky Derby Museum would be a fun place to visit as well. Welcome to Louisville, we're glad you're stopping by!
no avatar
User

donna.zawatski

{ RANK }

Just got here

by donna.zawatski » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:17 am

Thank you to all who took the time to post. I now have great ideas and I'm feeling much better about coming to Louisville. The last thing I want is to be stuck in hotel rooms with 15 teenagers. Our group is performing at the JEN conference on Saturday at 10:00 AM if anyone would like to hear some good jazz. :)
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Donna, using the Zero bus may also be an option for you to get around since weather can be nasty in January. It's a FREE circulator bus that has two routes. One bus goes around Fourth Street, and the other follows the Main Street/Market Street corridor. This is a free and easy way to get around, especially if you want to go down to the museums on Main Street, or visit some restaurants on Market, but don't want to walk in cold and slush. I work downtown and catch them all the time to grab lunch at various restaurants, since they run so frequently. The drivers are very helpful, too- just tell them where you want to go and let them know you're from out of town. They will advise you when you need to get off for various stops. Good luck and have fun!

http://www.ridetarc.org/internalonecolumn.aspx?id=1485
no avatar
User

donna.zawatski

{ RANK }

Just got here

by donna.zawatski » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:59 pm

Love that idea! Thanks.