Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Bourbon Raw on Fourth ... former Maker's Mark?

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:01 pm

Well, this looks new and interesting! Someone just invited me to “Like” it on Facebook today. Anybody been? Looking at the address, it looks like it might be in ... umm ... Fourth Street Live. Former Makers Mark place dropped the branding, maybe?

Bourbon Raw Kentucky Kitchen & Raw Bar, Southern Inspired Cuisine
446 S. Fourth St.
568-9004
http://www.bourbonraw.com
https://www.facebook.com/bourbonrawkentuckykitchen/
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: Bourbon Raw on Fourth ... former Maker's Mark?

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:05 pm

I believe that is the old Sully's location. The website isn't functioning well enough to pull up menus or information other than they are "legendary".
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:02 am

It's in the former Makers Mark location. I peeked my head in about 2 wks ago. It is also clear in the venue photos that show the bar. The place looks to be a refreshing addition.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:22 am

James Natsis wrote:It's in the former Makers Mark location. I peeked my head in about 2 wks ago. It is also clear in the venue photos that show the bar. The place looks to be a refreshing addition.

I wonder what the story is on the loss of the Maker's Mark branding. Who pushed, who jumped ship? I wonder if we'll ever read that in local media ...
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:51 am

Robin Garr wrote:
James Natsis wrote:It's in the former Makers Mark location. I peeked my head in about 2 wks ago. It is also clear in the venue photos that show the bar. The place looks to be a refreshing addition.

I wonder what the story is on the loss of the Maker's Mark branding. Who pushed, who jumped ship? I wonder if we'll ever read that in local media ...

Steve Coomes wrote this in Insider about a week ago:

"Just when you thought the new restaurant opening boom might be slowing down (well, maybe nobody thinks that anymore), we have a new one on Fourth Street Live! named Bourbon Raw. Technically it’s at 446 S. Fourth St., the location that was home to the Maker’s Mark Bourbon House & Lounge for 10 years. Despite it doing a solid trade, that restaurant was forced to close when its 10-year licensing agreement to use the bourbon brand’s name expired and was not renewed by the whiskey folks."

http://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_ ... urbon-raw/
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:48 am

James Natsis wrote:Maker’s Mark Bourbon House & Lounge for 10 years. Despite it doing a solid trade, that restaurant was forced to close when its 10-year licensing agreement to use the bourbon brand’s name expired and was not renewed by the whiskey folks."

Right there is where the follow-up questions should have started, but I'm afraid journalism just ain't what it used to be. :oops:
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
James Natsis wrote:Maker’s Mark Bourbon House & Lounge for 10 years. Despite it doing a solid trade, that restaurant was forced to close when its 10-year licensing agreement to use the bourbon brand’s name expired and was not renewed by the whiskey folks."

Right there is where the follow-up questions should have started, but I'm afraid journalism just ain't what it used to be. :oops:

I certainly have no inside information, but I would not be surprised that Makers Mark no longer wanted to be involved with a situation that involved a certain amount of racial animosity.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:15 pm

Steve Shade wrote:I certainly have no inside information, but I would not be surprised that Makers Mark no longer wanted to be involved with a situation that involved a certain amount of racial animosity.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the formerly independent Kentucky companies Makers Mark and Jim Beam having been sold to the Japanese multinational Suntory in 2014 might be a factor. But I don't know. I'm just saying this is the kind of point that journalists used to pursue.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

The superficiality and "whats trending" driven reporting in general frustrates me, as well. A follow up to the simple news release types of reporting takes time, effort, and resources. Its a lot easier to just sit at a desk all day and follow trends, regurgitate news releases or info posted in webstes, Facebook, twitter, etc,, compile fictitous "top 10" of something, create a controversy, or hope that someone will return an email request that will write itself..
James J. Natsis