Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Uber, Lyft and your restaurant?

by Linda C » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:45 pm

I have been driving for UBer for 2 months now for extra cash, but mostly for fun. I'm hooked. We've used it in other cities successfully and the best part is that drivers are usually locals who can share good regional info.

In the past two weeks I've driven folks to Garage bar, Haymarket, seviche, Holy Grale, Harvest, Against the Grain and a few others on Bardstown Rd. people don't want to park and they want to have a few drinks. By the looks of them, these are going to be your good, tipping patrons. One fellow wanted southern food and was headed for 4th Street Live before I gently suggested Doc Crows.you are welcome.

Do you see any way to give Uber drivers or diners a little incentive, or a reward? Just throwing it out there. I have an online register of where I go and when, so it's easy to prove. I will always be honest...one guy wanted Chinese and he wanted good quality, so instead of making lots more dollars going further, I took him to August Moon. He checked out the menu online first.

Any thoughts?
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Re: Uber, Lyft and your restaurant?

by Kris Billiter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:47 pm

I got nothing on your question but I do have one for you. I saw where Lyft is now picking up people at the airport. Dropping off too? Uber? Any extra costs involved? Thanks!
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:I got nothing on your question but I do have one for you. I saw where Lyft is now picking up people at the airport. Dropping off too? Uber? Any extra costs involved? Thanks!

I had an Uber driver bring this up to me the other night. You can take Uber or Lyft to or from the airport with no additional charges. Any rumors to the contrary were started by cab drivers who are in fear of their continued existence. And they should be scared.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:29 pm

Gary Z wrote:You can take Uber or Lyft to or from the airport with no additional charges. Any rumors to the contrary were started by cab drivers who are in fear of their continued existence. And they should be scared.

That's true now, but it's not exactly correct to say it started as a rumor. Initially, airport regs (written by and for the cab companies, not so much drivers) were very restrictive about pickups and dropoffs, and that was enforced for a while.

Then the Airport Authority, to its credit (and somewhat surprisingly) recognized ride sharing as a legitimate disruptor and made room for it last spring.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/28545263/loui ... -uber-lyft
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:14 pm

Linda C wrote:...Do you see any way to give Uber drivers or diners a little incentive, or a reward?...

I know your question is directed at the restaurateurs. But, as a consumer, I get irritated to think that advice from a local is motivated by a "little incentive", as you describe it, rather than by genuine insider knowledge and graciously offered suggestions of the best places. Can't you be satisfied with just the Uber income?
Last edited by Jay M. on Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:27 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Linda C wrote:...Do you see any way to give Uber drivers or diners a little incentive, or a reward?...

I know your question is directed at the restaurateurs. But, as a consumer, I get irritated to think that advice from a local is motivated by a "little incentive", as you describe it, rather than by genuine insider knowledge of the best places. Can't you be satisfied with just the Uber income?

Jay, I think you said what a lot of us are thinking.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:59 pm

All taxi drivers are locals...such a weird thing to point out that Uber drivers are local. I know I'll be sure to have my hand out to the local businesses I endorse purely on my own opinion to the bajillion out of towners I steer toward awesome places! I am being cheeky, but the consideration an Uber driver is asking for is doled out by our extremely generous and friendly city for free, and a payola system would probably wind up driving tourists more toward businesses that AREN'T genuinely endorsed, but merely endorsed for profit.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:13 am

I tried to understand that last post, is English your second language? You are already judging me when I just put it out there. If someone asks me where to get great Italian food, is it okay if Volare gives me a card with a 10% discount? After I take 10 couples there, maybe I get a dinner? What and why would you object to this. By the way, my husband an I support nothing but indies and I am glad to steer people to wonderful places gratis.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:23 am

Once more, say a downtown person wants a great French meal. I would suggest Le Relais or Brasserie Provence which will be much more expensive a ride unless these places wanted to provide a discount card to Uber drivers and maybe a little perk after 10 rides. I am not surprised at the knee jerk reaction, btw.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:34 am

Linda C wrote:If someone asks me where to get great Italian food, is it okay if Volare gives me a card with a 10% discount? After I take 10 couples there, maybe I get a dinner? What and why would you object to this.

Because, clearly, under such a system you are sending people to X Italian place that gives you a kickback while avoiding Y Italian place that does not. That invalidates your "advice".
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:41 am

Well, considering I have already suggested your place and have personally visited four times, I would already be on your side. I have many personal favorites, but what is the problem with an incentive program of some sort? No, not all cabbies are true locals. It is an easy job for any immigrant and newcomer. Many speak little English and rely on a GPS while Uber drivers are often natives. Uber fees are very low and most do not tip at all.
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:45 am

Why do you ask "Any thoughts?" if you are going to get pissy with "thoughts" different than yours?
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:57 am

I wOuld love to hear from people with insight, not people who say pissy. Grow up. Rider sharing is HUGE and is having major effects all over the world. Smart consumers will look at that and try to find ways to use the latest technology to their advantage.
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:02 am

Linda C wrote:I tried to understand that last post, is English your second language? You are already judging me when I just put it out there. If someone asks me where to get great Italian food, is it okay if Volare gives me a card with a 10% discount? After I take 10 couples there, maybe I get a dinner? What and why would you object to this. By the way, my husband an I support nothing but indies and I am glad to steer people to wonderful places gratis.

To quote you, "I tried to understand that last post, is English your second language?"
Last edited by charles.minter on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:05 am

charles.minter wrote:Why do you ask "Any thoughts?" if you are going to get pissy with "thoughts" different than yours?

Yeah I was kinda wondering why the question was brought to the floor as well. But here's my thought (without using the word 'pissy' to offend)...
These kind of kick backs or incentives the original poster asks for are common among regular cab companies. I thought the whole point of Uber as to be different and motivated by positive experiences and not monetary gain. Perhaps OP would prefer to drive for Yellow Cab?

And no, English is not my second language but I do speak several.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Next