Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Uber, Lyft and your restaurant?

by Linda C » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:27 am

Well, why would you drive if not for money? The reason it isn't Yellow Cab is that it's not nearly as complicated. Ride sharing is a lot less expensive for consumers, but riders almost never tip. Drivers are often doing a second job , maybe putting kids through college. I drove 2 girls to Cave Hill, which was closed, but the man opened the gate and gave them a tour. True hospitality.

I just found this article. This is what I call creative thinking.
http://hunterwalk.com/2014/03/02/pay-by ... bars-soon/
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:28 am

You asked for thoughts, I gave them in what was absolutely a thoughtful manner; then you insult non-natives by insinuating that people who don't speak English as a first language must be dumb because I disagree with your idea that Uber drivers should get some special treatment over anyone else acting in an informal concierge manner (like every single taxi driver ever). Hmmm!
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:24 am

Please READ my link or do some research on your own. I am not insulting , your answer with bajillion did not make sense. Advertising is in Yellow Cabs. Obviously, smart people are picking up on the very popular trend, as they would.
Again, perks to riders, diners...acknowledging that they are willing to spend extra to go out of their neighborhood...see what smart business owners are doing to attract them. Too often you hear, " I love Bardstown/Frankfort Ave, but I hate parking"
Bingo
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:47 am

Let's all be kind to each other while we're kicking ideas around, folks! :)
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:12 am

Linda C wrote:Advertising is in Yellow Cabs.

Everyone knows that those ads are purchased. Do people know that you are (or wish to be) paid to recommend a particular restaurant? If you are up front about it before you take them there, then I think it's fine. If you are hiding your arrangement, then it is not.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:20 pm

Thank you, Robin.i didn't mean to stir the pot. Bill, you know me. I ate there night before last with Rick.
Can we start over? How can restaurants encourage people to go beyond their neighborhoods in the East End and come downtown? How can you encourage a couple staying downtown to visit your East end location? Again, read my link and Google it!

I think savvy restaurant owners might offer an incentive to diners via Uber to come visit. The clientele are well versed in tech and are probably above average diners.

My mistake was to ask about drivers, but if a driver delivered 20 diners to you with no incentive, clearly that driver loves your restaurant and brought people there. If she showed you that on her app, would you care?
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:34 am

Your best bet would be to just walk in the restaurant and talk to the owners. They might be able to work something out with you but at the same time how many uber driver are in this city? A lot probably. Not sure they would want to give everyone special attention.

But if it was my business...i might be willing to have a system where like sure you bring me ten clients, i'll give you half off a meal. Why not? I own a business and we try and we try to share clients with other businesses whenever possible. Its a mutually beneficial relationship.

I can somewhat see why people are giving you slack...if you are visiting a city you would hope the driver would just give you an unbiased opinion on where to eat. But I also know Uber drivers don't exactly make tons of money and i don't even think you can tip them unless its cash, so i can see why one would be looking for other incentives.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:45 am

I've been trying hard to come up with a way to explain how I feel about this while being respectful to everyone, and I think it's something like this:

Here on HotBytes we have a rule against people posting about restaurants in which they have a stake, unless they (1) spell out their connection and (2) ideally, run it by me for approval first. We'd feel kind of used if we found out that a glowing report came from a manager or owner who didn't mention that.

I think recommendations from an Uber, Lyft or Yellow Cab driver would fall under a similar rule: "Bill's Diner is the best place in town, let me take you there," is more honest if you say, "Bill sometimes gives me a free lunch if I tell people about his place, but it's all good because I love that place."

Am I on a right track, or hopelessly confused? :oops:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Robin, I'm not sure about how the others feel but I certainly agree with your sentiments. It's all about being up front with everyone about the reason for your recommendation. It would be one thing if after while when you drop somebody off a particular restaurant the owner, manager or whoever saw you doing it and came out and handed you a card for a discount of some type. In that case it would be the "we didn't expect nor ask for but rather a nice gesture by the management of the restaurant. As soon as you start trying to set up arrangements the area gets gray or even black very quickly in my opinion.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jason G » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:14 pm

I see what you guys are saying...but lets be honest this happens all the time without people being up-front about the arrangements. My CPA recommends me people all the time...realtors, lawyers, financial advisors...I'm not stupid, i realize they probably have a mutual networking agreement where they are sending him clients and he recommends his people to them. As long as they are good at what they do, i could care less.

In the case of Uber...it might be less obvious that there is an arrangement, but as long as they are recommending a quality place who cares. Caveat emptor. Its not difficult to look up the drivers suggestion on a smart phone real quick, or make your plans in advance so you don't need to ask for a suggestion.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:13 am

Linda C wrote:No, not all cabbies are true locals. It is an easy job for any immigrant and newcomer. Many speak little English and rely on a GPS while Uber drivers are often natives. Uber fees are very low and most do not tip at all.

Your implication that Uber drivers are more local than taxi drivers or use GPS any less is absurd. For example, I recently had a conversation with an Uber driver that goes to different cities based the event du jour....,,,in addition to many other situations.

As for the topic at hand, Silvio and Carla couldn't have said it better.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:14 am

Jason G wrote:I see what you guys are saying...but lets be honest this happens all the time without people being up-front about the arrangements. My CPA recommends me people all the time...realtors, lawyers, financial advisors...I'm not stupid, i realize they probably have a mutual networking agreement where they are sending him clients and he recommends his people to them. As long as they are good at what they do, i could care less.

In the case of Uber...it might be less obvious that there is an arrangement, but as long as they are recommending a quality place who cares. Caveat emptor. Its not difficult to look up the drivers suggestion on a smart phone real quick, or make your plans in advance so you don't need to ask for a suggestion.

So what happens when a medeocre business offers drivers a bigger kickback than a truly remarkable business that offers a smaller (or no) kickback? A cab driver is not someone you have had a long term business relationship like you have with your CPA. In fact it pretty sure bet that driver will never see you again. How can trust that driver is acting in YOUR best interest and not his own?

Don't know about others but my recommendations are not for sale.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jason G » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:44 am

Carla G wrote:
So what happens when a medeocre business offers drivers a bigger kickback than a truly remarkable business that offers a smaller (or no) kickback? A cab driver is not someone you have had a long term business relationship like you have with your CPA. In fact it pretty sure bet that driver will never see you again. How can trust that driver is acting in YOUR best interest and not his own?

Don't know about others but my recommendations are not for sale.

True but the stakes are also much higher with those other relationships. We're talking about a meal here. If its that big a deal to you...plan in advance. We're talking about cab drivers here, not expert foodies. What if they give you a genuine recommendation that Olive Garden is a great restaurant...maybe thats what they think. What makes you think a person driving a cab or an Uber knows all the best restaurants...they sure as hell aren't making enough money to eat at the nice ones on a regular basis.

I guess my point is what difference does it make. If you are that worried about getting a great meal...I would plan in advance or ask a bartender at the hotel or something. Not the cab driver. So who cares if they have some arrangements on the side. I'm sure its in the Uber drivers best interest to please the clients anyway, so i seriously doubt there are going to send everyone to some terrible restaurant and get bad reviews for themselves.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:53 am

It amuses me that Uber and Lyft drivers are to be held to higher disclosure standards than most other professions on the planet.

There are hidden quid pro quo networks like this everywhere. If you are asking someone you are doing business with for a recommendation, 9 times out of 10 there is some kind of reciprocity arrangement. There is generally no reason for a business person to recommend a poor service, as this will ultimately reflect back on them. So, that is the true hedge against corruption.

The disclosures that many are advocating here seem to be reminiscent of those of professional journalists. Maybe this is because many here have a background in that field?

If Uber and Lyft are smart, and I think they are, they will add recommendation and reciprocity features like this to their apps, post haste.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:18 pm

Can't stop thinking about this.
PreviousNext