Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Uber, Lyft and your restaurant?

by RonnieD » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:59 pm

I don't trust advice that is sponsored. Genuine advice is freely given without thought of reciprocity.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:24 pm

I think you are wrong about reciprocity. Every real relationship is based on trust and reciprocity.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:30 pm

And with that trust comes an openness about the nature of the business relationship, if indeed there is one.

People on this forum recommend restaurants regularly. Those who have an interest in a recommended place typically disclose their interest. By going that route, that is the way to maintain trust.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:57 pm

Mehhhhh..........I wouldn't use Uber (etc) if one of you were picking up the tab. Give me a good ol' licensed taxi driver any day.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Steve H wrote:I think you are wrong about reciprocity. Every real relationship is based on trust and reciprocity.

Didn't say anything about a relationship, was just talking about advice. Giving advice is like giving someone a hamburger, you do it because it's the kind thing to do, not because you expect something in return.

Relationships are FAR more complex than just that. :D
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:41 am

Steve P wrote:Mehhhhh..........I wouldn't use Uber (etc) if one of you were picking up the tab. Give me a good ol' licensed taxi driver any day.

Clearly someone who's never used Uber/Lyft.

You still watch black & white television, too?

That's about the level of difference in the service/experience vs. your average cab. And most often, cheaper.
no avatar
User

Tracey E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:36 pm

by Tracey E » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Just my two cents- I don't drive (former big city gal) so I used cabs in this town for years (btw, my favorite drivers were the "foreigners"- there is an amazing group of Mauretanian drivers in Old Louisville who were great about opening my door, helping me get my groceries to my door, watching that I got in safely, etc.- the Kentucky drivers never did anything like that) but I have switched to Lyft, mostly because the drivers arrive MUCH faster (5-10 minutes instead of 20-30).

I love how friendly the Lyft drivers are and I have had great talks about favorite spots in town (with both my local and foreign drivers- not everyone who drives for these companies are Louisville born and bred. Being foreign myself, it is one thing I love about the service- getting to chat with people from ALL over! :D ).

As a patron, I don't love the idea of someone getting a kickback for suggesting certain places. When I ask, I hope that the answer would be heartfelt and personal, not inspired by free meals and the like. I hate this "arrangement" at hotels and now tell the concierges I would like to know where they would eat on break and not where they are paid to send me. It has made all the difference in the quality of places that I visit in other cities!

I'm sorry that so few riders tip. As someone who worked in the service industry, I tip my drivers like I tip my servers- always and generously!
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:12 pm

As a frequent traveler, I have been using Lyft/Uber for years, long before it came to Louisville.

In most cities, your car arrives within 5 minutes, is clean/nice, has a personable & normal driver, no cash needed, no phone call to make, no bellman to tip, no waiting around for change -- the advantages are endless. What's not to love?

Just returned from Vegas last night, where I used Lyft to/from the Airport (just got approved at McCarron 2 weeks ago), and it was perfect and MUCH cheaper. Of course, Vegas cabs are arguably the worst anywhere (long-hauling, poor attitudes, nasty cars, etc) -- but once again, the service was absolutely awesome.

Congrats to cab-lovers on being stubborn, I suppose. There really is no comparison.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:55 pm

Tracey Eckersley wrote:Mauretanian drivers

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking Stevie P. wouldn't be down with that even if it was a licenced cab. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:26 pm

I've not used either Uber or Lyft but did like this bit of news concerning both: http://www.militarytimes.com/story/veterans/2015/11/09/uber-lyft-veterans-rides/75493302/
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
Previous