Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Table Cafe, pay-what-you-can eatery, open in Portland

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:29 pm

The Table Cafe, a pay-what-you-can restaurant for everyone, is open in Portland today.

At The Table, we embrace a pay what you can afford concept by providing a few payment options.
1. Pay what you can afford to pay. You can pay with your time in service as payment.
2. Pay the full amount of the suggested meal price.
3. Pay the full amount of the suggested meal price, plus a little extra to “pay it forward.”
4. Give your time in service to “pay it forward” for your neighbor to enjoy a meal.

Web: http://tablecafe.org/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tableKY/timeline
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

Re: Table Cafe, pay-what-you-can eatery, open in Portland

by BevP » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:54 pm

Took a drive down to Portland today with my hubby for lunch at The Table. We both had the specials which are a choice of sandwich , side and drink for 10 dollars. Hubby chose the Country ham sandwich I believe on rye, it was a dark bread and he did not offer a bite. He also had the cup of the soup of the day, a very yummy chicken pot pie soup that I did manage a very small taste of. I picked out the pulled pork sandwich on a kaiser roll with a mustard based sauce and they also add a butternut squash puree to the sandwich that adds a nice depth of flavor. I had the roasted root vegetable salad as my side and I could have eaten that all day it was so good. We both had water and diet coke to drink. No tipping is allowed but you are welcome to "pay it forward" to help pay for others meals. Our check came to $21.20 after tax I had the cashier round it up to 30 for a good cause. Service was great despite the fact everyone is volunteer and the place was hopping. The table is only open Mon-Fri 11-3 but we are looking forward to our next visit.