Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Really good pasta dish at 211 Clover

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Really good pasta dish at 211 Clover

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:27 pm

So I went to 211 with a bunch of friends for a farewell lunch for a co-worker who's leaving us (sob!), but I got a little happier when I tried this really good pasta dish: Penne, which appeared to be fresh-handmade by rolling ridged pasta squares into short "quills," dressed with chunks of fresh mozzarella and a simple, textured roasted tomato sauce with plenty of good olive oil. Spectacular, and just $10 on the lunch menu!
211penne.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Really good pasta dish at 211 Clover

by Mark R. » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:28 pm

Looks delicious!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:59 am

That's actually dried garganelli that's brought in from an Italian importer through Mattingly I believe. The sauce is just oven roasted roma tomatoes, garlic, basil, and fresh mozzarella. I made that quite a few times during my brief tenure as sous at 211.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:15 am

bob.durbin wrote:That's actually dried garganelli that's brought in from an Italian importer through Mattingly I believe. The sauce is just oven roasted roma tomatoes, garlic, basil, and fresh mozzarella. I made that quite a few times during my brief tenure as sous at 211.

Thanks, Bob! I noticed that the "penne" were actually squares rolled into quills, not clear if it was done in the kitchen or at the pasta factory. :mrgreen: I wouldn't say the sauce is "just" those things. Sometimes simple is good, and this is one of those cases.
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:37 am

Robin Garr wrote:
bob.durbin wrote:That's actually dried garganelli that's brought in from an Italian importer through Mattingly I believe. The sauce is just oven roasted roma tomatoes, garlic, basil, and fresh mozzarella. I made that quite a few times during my brief tenure as sous at 211.

Thanks, Bob! I noticed that the "penne" were actually squares rolled into quills, not clear if it was done in the kitchen or at the pasta factory. :mrgreen: I wouldn't say the sauce is "just" those things. Sometimes simple is good, and this is one of those cases.

I suppose I meant that it's just those few simple ingredients that make up a really good sauce. That's what I really liked about chef Allen's cooking style. It's classic, straight forward, and he puts out really good food.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:49 am

bob.durbin wrote:That's what I really liked about chef Allen's cooking style. It's classic, straight forward, and he puts out really good food.

You hit the nail on the head right there, Bob!
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:13 am

Robin, your pasta dish you reviewed a few weeks ago was made with fresh pasta! Chef Allen has been doing fresh pasta for evening entrees for a few months now, sooooo worth the effort too.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:42 am

meghan.levins wrote:Robin, your pasta dish you reviewed a few weeks ago was made with fresh pasta! Chef Allen has been doing fresh pasta for evening entrees for a few months now, sooooo worth the effort too.

Well, i've been to 211 twice recently, and both times I've been impressed. They've always been good, but I do think Chef Allen is kicking it up another notch. And with the redesign, it's one of the most comfortable "adult" bars in town.
no avatar
User

BenjaminH

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 09, 2009 1:15 pm

by BenjaminH » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Had lunch with my daughter at 211 Clover today for the first time, and we were both very impressed. I had the trout with potatoes and spinach. Wonderfully rich and complex flavors. Probably the best trout I've ever had in my life. Yummy! Service was polite and efficient. And it's a very pleasant and relatively quiet place. Very good value for such premium fare too. Highly recommended.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:23 pm

One of my favorite lunch spots. Can get a bit loud when there is a ten-top or two, but other than that it's hard to find fault with 211.