Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Monday date night

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Monday date night

by Kris Billiter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:59 am

So we have an unusual monday date night. Thought about Cena one more time before the hiatus but their not open. Same with Harvest. Mentioned going back to Artesano but the kids quickly protested that we can't go without them! We have a nice Gift card to Rumba so that's an option. Any other thoughts?
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Monday date night

by JustinHammond » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:16 am

We have really been enjoying Basa's small plates menu. I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that is it only available at the bar.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:33 pm

Boomboz has a nice Monday special, of an appetizer, two salads, and any medium pizza for $20 that we hit on occasion . . .

Our other option is to go to whatever restaurant we wanted to go to but couldn't get in, as on Mondays almost anything in town is available!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks! Both sound great but we did pizza last night! Found a gift card to Bonefish which haven't been to in years. Going to give it a try!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:Thanks! Both sound great but we did pizza last night! Found a gift card to Bonefish which haven't been to in years. Going to give it a try!

Let us know what you think, Kris! Bonefish and its neighbor, Carrabba's, belong to a chain that has a pretty good reputation for quality, but things change over time, and I haven't visited either for years. I hope it's a fine place for Date Night!
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Bistro 1860 is still kicking ass and taking names.

According to their website, Mondays are 1/2 priced bottles of wine.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:47 pm

Tea Station followed by a short walk over to Commonwealth Tap.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:21 am

So we had a good night that did not go as planned. We went to Bonefish, were greeted, walked to our table, walked past Papa John who was there with a big group, and we're seated. Our server came over and got our drinks. We looked over the menu and then I asked by allergy question. "Can you tell me what I need to avoid with a mustard allergy?" Our very kind server says she will check. The manager soon appears at our table. She first asks how serious it is and I tell her I will likley wind up in the hospital.
At that point she tells me she thinks it's in their flour mix so avoid anything fried and also likley in their seasoning mix so anything I get grilled would have to be with no seasoning except "maybe a little salt and pepper." Ok. At first I think I'll make due with their pork chop but then I remembered I had pork for lunch. So I'll do a steak. Then I start wondering about the chance of cross contamination from other meat or the grill itself if it's on everything. I hated to do it, but we decided to leave. It wasn't worth it. We explained everything to our server, apologized and thanked the manager for letting me know the danger.
It's the first time I've ever encountered a place where I couldn't find anything to eat. I'm still not sure that mustard (seed,flour,etc.) was in everything but the manager was being very cautious.
Instead we walked up to Carabbas and had a great meal. On Mondays they do a three course deal. I had the calamari, sausage and lentil soup, and the fettuccini carbonara. My wife had the calamari, salad, and grilled scallops and shrimp which she loved. The "small" calamari that we each got was enough for four people. The soups and salad dressings are all made in house. It was great meal and since they are owned by the same folks, I still got to use my giftcard!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:33 am

Oops! Better safe than sorry, Kris! I'm glad that Bonefish handles serious allergy issues responsibly, though, and especially glad to hear how well your evening worked out after all!
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:11 pm

Robin,
Even though I was bummed I was also thankful for how serious they took things. I've been on the other end where a server's ignorance cost me a great deal of pain!