Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

How restaurants get cooks to work 12-hour days ...

by Richard S. » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:21 am

This was an interesting article in the Globe and Mail about the exploitation of cooks. Hope the link works; try it in a different browser if not.

http://goo.gl/vd4qAq
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: How restaurants get cooks to work 12-hour days ...

by GriffinPaulin » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:29 am

This is the restaurant industry. We work a lot. We grind hard. You don't need a degree. You dont need people skills. You don't need to be politically correct. You don't need to be a salesman, you don't need to be educated. Hell, most places, you barely even need to be showered, much less sober.

If you work hard enough, learn enough, sacrifice enough, you can make a good living without any of those things.

This is the life we chose. Don't weep for us. We love our lives. In fact, if you're a cook and you DON'T love your life, you're in the wrong industry. I don't see anybody weeping for artists. Nobody cares when a great musician cant get by.

You dont get in to this industry for the money. If you did, somebody lied to you. I could do 100 other things. I could be a lawyer. Doctor. Professor. I could sit in some cubicle, do some coding, make my 100k and go home.

Wouldn't trade my job for the world, and certainly not for a few thousand more dollars.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
no avatar
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:56 am

GriffinPaulin wrote: I could sit in some cubicle,

Ouch. Cubicle life does pay for a lot of nice meals though.........
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:27 am

DanB wrote:
GriffinPaulin wrote: I could sit in some cubicle,

Ouch. Cubicle life does pay for a lot of nice meals though.........

I don't think Griffin was knocking cubicle workers; his livelihood depends on them. He was just saying it's not for him. Like 12 hour shifts cooking food isn't for me.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:35 am

I for one am grateful for the people like Griffin that do love their restaurant cook/chef positions. I love to cook but could never shoulder the responsibility of cooking for dozens every night. Nope. No sir.
So, thank you to all of you out there that are there for me when I come in to dine after my day of kids and diapers.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:46 am

Carla G wrote:I for one am grateful for the people like Griffin that do love their restaurant cook/chef positions. I love to cook but could never shoulder the responsibility of cooking for dozens every night. Nope. No sir.
So, thank you to all of you out there that are there for me when I come in to dine after my day of kids and diapers.

Hear, hear!!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:26 pm

This article that's been going around offers a similar narrative about servers. "Rockstar" servers, specifically.

The Difference Between Average Servers And Rockstar Servers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:27 pm

(I'm indebted to Fontleroy's server Patrick K for the find, posted on Facebook.)
no avatar
User

eric.shaw

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:56 pm

by eric.shaw » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:15 pm

It's important to understand that people want lives outside of the kitchen. If you want the industry to be full of professional, well trained and motivated cooks, then it should be treated as a career. We already see the shortage of cooks right now, likely a result of cooks who burned out after only a few years. Those of us who have stuck around for 10+ years throughout it all shouldn't be bragging about being undervalued by our employers. I can't get back all the family time I should have had, or making better relationships with people outside of the workplace so I could have a more enriching life.

As a chef, it's important to have time to think, to meditate, to breathe. We are expected to be creative, to perform all of our job duties, and to manage our employees well. On 4 hours of sleep, and if you don't have the ability to pay for your expenses or eat well yourself, none of those things can be done as well as they should be.

I look forward to a future of cooks who are actually excited to be at work, don't feel beat down, and have the drive to make a lifelong career in the restaurant industry.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:04 am

Robin Garr wrote:This article that's been going around offers a similar narrative about servers. "Rockstar" servers, specifically.

The Difference Between Average Servers And Rockstar Servers

The answer is: tips. No more tips, no more rockstar servers.

Article wrote:The rockstars, on the other hand, they don’t blame. They just do it. They say to themselves, “This is the job. Those tables are my income. More tables means more money – so bring it on.”
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:38 am

Steve H wrote:The answer is: tips. No more tips, no more rockstar servers.

Ever eat at a restaurant in France, Italy, Portugal, Spain? No tipping. Excellent service.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:02 pm

That is not what I said.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:12 am

Not sure but maybe what Steve is saying is that there would be more consistency in service if there is a consisistency in pay via higher hourly wages vs tipping. But I have been known to presume...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:39 am

Steve H wrote:That is not what I said.

I assume you're responding to my question about no-tipping, good service in Europe, Steve? It sure seemed like a relevant response to me. If no tipping means no rockstars in the US, then how does Europe get its rockstars?
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:41 am

I always thought that Europeans think of food service as a legitimate profession and not just something you do while in school or on your way to something else. Food service positions in the once old grand restaurants (like Maxim's) were handed down from father to son. And they were pretty lucrative in their own right. I guess things have changed since then. (~~shrugging~~) I don't know.
Next