Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

Re: Cena closing! (Except that it's not)

by Gary Z » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Fernando, I worked at Cena for two months, a year ago. You have no idea who I am, where I work or where I hang out. Your whole post reeks of Rick Moir's influence.

I don't think I said anything controversial here. If you're upset with my use of "ill conceived", that's just one man's opinion. Time will tell. It wasn't like I harbor some secret resentment towards you or am airing dirty laundry.

If you have anything else to say, apparantly you know where to find me.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Ellen P wrote: Traveling from north Hurstbourne to Hurstbourne/Taylorsville Road is something we only do once every five years or so. Does that sound awful? I think as each neighborhood has more and more options, saving time and mileage is a important criteria.

With apologies to Robin, I'd like to veer off the topic of Cena momentarily.

I'm not sure I'd use the word "awful," but something about this saddens me. 5 years??? Does the same apply to other areas of the city?

I live in Fern Creek. I shudder to imagine what a boring, insular life I would lead if I restricted myself to my immediate (chain wasteland) environs. I think nothing of driving up to the north Hurstbourne area. I frequent Middletown, Westport Road, Okolona, Highview, Preston Highway, Dixie Highway, the Highlands, and all points in between, including downtown. I drive out to surrounding counties on a frequent basis (there are some good eats out there too). If gas prices were still up near the $4 range, I might be more restrictive, but at $2 a gallon, I have no issue with exploring the city.

Maybe it comes from having parents who enjoyed hopping in the car and going anywhere and everywhere. I'm ok with living in Fern Creek, but if I had to stay here without venturing out to other parts of the city in 5 years, I'd go mad! Heck, I have 'burb friends who haven't been downtown in 10 or more years! I don't get it!

Lane swerve: It's not even just about food and restaurants. People who haven't been outside the Watterson (and thus outside the Snyder) in 5 years are missing out on an incredible new park system, the Parklands of Floyds Fork. In 100 years, these parks will be what the Olmsted parks are now.

Just in case any restaurateurs are looking to open/expand, please consider coming to FC. We're not all Kroger fried chicken-eating, Bud-drinking peasants out here. :P If El Taco Luchador opened in the Creek, I'd turn cartwheels down Bardstown Road.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:16 pm

Terri Beam wrote:
Ellen P wrote: Traveling from north Hurstbourne to Hurstbourne/Taylorsville Road is something we only do once every five years or so. Does that sound awful? I think as each neighborhood has more and more options, saving time and mileage is a important criteria.

With apologies to Robin, I'd like to veer off the topic of Cena momentarily.

I'm not sure I'd use the word "awful," but something about this saddens me. 5 years??? Does the same apply to other areas of the city?

We moved here from the Chicago area. There, we were used to going from the burbs downtown to restaurants, theater, whatever. We also would head to other suburbs (we lived North, but would go West or wherever!). Downtown was roughly 45 minutes each way (about 32 miles), and going to the Western burbs slightly longer . . .

Come to Louisville, where we have a Prospect phone number but are more likely to eat on Frankfort, Batrdstown, downtown, NuLu, Indiana, wherever, and we are continually surprised to hear about others on-line (and even our friends!) who feel crossing the Watterson requires an emergency car kit, a thermos of coffee, and a change of clothes for the trip!

Maybe it's what you are used to . . .
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Floyd's Fork is an awesome park, totally agree.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:16 pm

I've been known to JOKE about needing a passport to go outside the Watterson, and during the years when there was almost nothing out there but chain eateries, the joke had some merit. But I totally agree that traffic should flow both ways, and now that one of my non-food hats is worn out Westport Road, I actually put my money where my mouth is. :D

I do know suburbanites who don't like to go inside the Watterson for fear of "crime," by which they mean people who have funny complexions or speak unknown languages, and for those people I can't think of much to see except "Bless your heart." :mrgreen:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:46 pm

I certainly know where Ellen was coming from with her comment. We travel all over the Louisville area going out to eat or doing other things but for us the section of Hurstbourne Parkway from Plainview to 6 Mile Lane is an area we try to avoid most of the time, especially between 4 PM and 6 PM. The traffic in that area is ridiculous and there are so many places where people are turning across traffic or coming out of various businesses you're taking your life in your own hands.

There obviously are many other areas of bad traffic but you always feel safer driving most of them than you do that section of road.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
Previous