Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: Cena closing! (Except that it's not)

by Stephen D » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Are there other fine dining restaurants in J-town that have been successes, to disprove the theory?

To the best of my knowledge, nobody's really tried after Ferd's and before Fernando.

I can tell you to take a ride through J-town and look at the perfectly manicured lawns with $200k homes. Sure, there's some mixed development housing, but the money is there. It's even more impressive as you move away from the city.
no avatar
User

Fernando Martinez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:53 pm

by Fernando Martinez » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Hello Guys:

Let me start by saying that if somebody felt offended was not the intention, my comment was not about bashing JTown of the people there. We love JTown and we are grateful for the support, we are really happy to be there and we are considering opening a Taco Luchador and another concept we are working on, but the reality is that not enough people were coming to eat at Cena or The Place Downstairs, believe me we did everything we could to stay in JTown, advertisement, offer people samples at the door at mussel and burger, free appetaiser cards, TV shows, we did $15 home made pasta nights Tuesday thru Thursday, their support for Mussel and Burger is what kept us trying for as long as we did. So my comment was not directed to Jtowm and the people there, but at people from outside not willing to drive to JTown. Somebody staying in downtown will stay close to Bardstwon Rd, Nulu or St Mattews and that's a reality that we had to learn.

I don't think any smart person will bash an area that has offer so much support for their business, it's really hard to translate an hour conversation in to a blog posting, so I hope that everybody accepts our apologies and I promise you'll see more of Ole in JTown.
Last edited by Fernando Martinez on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Fernando Martinez wrote:Hello Guys:

Let me start by saying that if somebody felt offended was not the intention, my comment was not about bashing JTown of the people there. We love JTown and we are grateful for the support ...

Great post, Fernando! Thanks for jumping in to clear that up.
no avatar
User

Richard Meyer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

by Richard Meyer » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:48 am

I can only hope the "global warming" cocktail will live on in another of FM's great places!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:00 pm

Ellen P wrote:This is where the Norton Commons rumors will start...

Just heard it! Did you know something, Ellen, or is this just a coincidence of memes? :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:03 pm

Hey, Fernando! There's a buzz building on the street that speaks of a resurrected Cena - or something very similar - coming to Norton Commons. Can you comment on that, or squish the rumor? I'm thinking that Allan R and Cena might have been integral with each other, and with him moved on to Fontleroy's, Cena/Upscale Italian isn't as comfy a fit with OLE without him in the kitchen as some other exciting new stuff that's a better fit with you guys ... but what do I know?
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Hey, Fernando! There's a buzz building on the street that speaks of a resurrected Cena - or something very similar - coming to Norton Commons. Can you comment on that, or squish the rumor? I'm thinking that Allan R and Cena might have been integral with each other, and with him moved on to Fontleroy's, Cena/Upscale Italian isn't as comfy a fit with OLE without him in the kitchen as some other exciting new stuff that's a better fit with you guys ... but what do I know?

My understanding is that it will reopen in Norton Commons under a new name.

So... new name, new location, new menu? Is that really the reopening of an old restaurant, or a new endeavor altogether? Even if they keep the menu created by chef who's moved on to greener pastures, going forward it seems a little ill conceived.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:54 pm

Gary Z wrote:So... new name, new location, new menu? Is that really the reopening of an old restaurant, or a new endeavor altogether? Even if they keep the menu created by chef who's moved on to greener pastures, going forward it seems a little ill conceived.

I can't argue with any of that. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Fernando Martinez

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Fernando Martinez » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:20 am

Wow Robin, I really don't know how to answers this one.
Last edited by Fernando Martinez on Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:44 am

There's a buzz building on the street that speaks of a resurrected Cena - or something very similar - coming to Norton Commons

If true it makes little difference - half way to Lexington versus half way to Cincinnati. It's still outside the city walls (Watterson). :wink: But people need quality dining out there, too.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:42 am

Gary Z wrote:My understanding is that it will reopen in Norton Commons under a new name.

So... new name, new location, new menu? Is that really the reopening of an old restaurant, or a new endeavor altogether? Even if they keep the menu created by chef who's moved on to greener pastures, going forward it seems a little ill conceived.

Opening an Upscale Italian Restaurant in NC seems ill-conceived? It sounds like a winner to me. And I wouldn't keep the menu, just 'cause.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:
There's a buzz building on the street that speaks of a resurrected Cena - or something very similar - coming to Norton Commons

If true it makes little difference - half way to Lexington versus half way to Cincinnati. It's still outside the city walls (Watterson). :wink: But people need quality dining out there, too.

?? Not sure what locations you think are halfway to Lexington or halfway to Cincinnati. Even if you're one of the "Never outside the Watterson" people they certainly are a lot closer than the distances you are referring to. Actually, up until recently if you enjoyed eating at one of Fernando's restaurants you had to venture outside of the Watterson!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Fernando Martinez

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Fernando Martinez » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:34 am

It seems that Mr Gary Z has a few facts wrong, the menu at Cena was not created by Allan Rosenberg, I created as many dishes for Cena's menu as he did. So check your facts before you make this kind statement, as far as Allan moving to greener pastures, I wish him nothing but success. There are so many things I could say, but I don't air my dirty laundry in public.

What I find not only ill conceived, but also ill intended Gary Zeck is the fact you never disclosed that you were fired from Cena and just for the sake of clarification, I'll be willing to give you a list of how much of Cena's menu was mine. I'm willing to meet you at R Place or any of the bars you frequent or even better at Fontleroys were you currently work if I'm not mistaking. I hope you take my offer and that you are as brave in person as you are behind a keyboard. Just let me know Gary.

Robin it's really sad that you feed in to this rumors and in the process question my abilities as a chef. Closing Cena has nothing to do with Allan leaving, the food at Cena has never been better or more consistent under James Cena's chef. We just got a 4 star review. Like a said before it's really sad that you agreed with this guy to get attention to your blog and now I have to come here and explain myself and my abilities as a chef, this is exactly the reason why so many people that I know in the industry do not participate here anymore.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:03 am

I'm sorry if I contributed in anyway to 'confusion'. There have been hints about more restaurants in Norton Commons and Cena connections have been mentioned.
I realize that financial details, etc. need to be worked out perhaps.
Just excited about the local dining scene as it expands and gets closer to my home.
Actually, have never been to Mussels and Burgers. Traveling from north Hurstbourne to Hurstbourne/Taylorsville Road is something we only do once every five years or so. Does that sound awful? I think as each neighborhood has more and more options, saving time and mileage is a important criteria. We tend to bundle trips and for that reason have never been there. Before a women or men's basketball game (or trolley hop night) we should try the 'old' St. Charles location.
Ellen
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:18 pm

Wow. Just saw Fernando's response. I'll give an appropriate response to that post as soon as I get off of work.
PreviousNext