Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

After reading through most of the mass market beer thread...

by Lori R. » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:57 pm

...I have a suggestion.

I saw mentioned in the mass market beer thread the suggestion of beer pairing dinners. I know my husband is excited about that possibility! However, not being a beer fan (or bourbon for that matter--but I have tried!) -- a thought occurred to me.

Would it be possible for restaurants to offer beer or wine or bourbon or wine pairing dinners? Having an option like this would open up the possibilities to many couples or individuals that would like to attend by giving an option. My husband is frequently interested in attending many of the bourbon pairing dinners around town and I would be more interested if I could enjoy a wine pairing with each plate.

There could be reasons this may not be feasible, but . . . just a thought!
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:22 pm

Roger
has hosted several beer dinners
and i'm pretty sure that BBC and Schafly may have done some as well

check out Roger's blog (publicanista (search on google) or potable curmudgeon) will get you there

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Brett Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:33 pm

Re: After reading through most of the mass market beer threa

by Brett Davis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:14 am

Lori R. wrote:...I have a suggestion.

I saw mentioned in the mass market beer thread the suggestion of beer pairing dinners. I know my husband is excited about that possibility! However, not being a beer fan (or bourbon for that matter--but I have tried!) -- a thought occurred to me.

Would it be possible for restaurants to offer beer or wine or bourbon or wine pairing dinners? Having an option like this would open up the possibilities to many couples or individuals that would like to attend by giving an option. My husband is frequently interested in attending many of the bourbon pairing dinners around town and I would be more interested if I could enjoy a wine pairing with each plate.

There could be reasons this may not be feasible, but . . . just a thought!
I know I'm treading on sacred ground here being this Bourbon Country and all but Bourbon really does not pair well with food IMO being it is too alcoholic and tends to numb the palate. Like I said, this is just my opinion so please, nobody get offended and think me a wine and beer elitist. I’ve been known to drink some brown liquor.

Now back to what I think you are asking. Is it possible to have food and beverage pairing dinners where you have a choice of either beer or wine so a beer loving woman can go to a dinner with her wine loving husband (or vice versa) and both be happy like a liquid Jack Spratt?

Sure a restaurant could offer something like that. Unfortunately, most dinners be they beer, wine, or (...sigh) Bourbon are usually put together as a joint venture between a supplier of the aforementioned beverages and the restaurant. There is only one supplier I know of that has a good selection of both and I've not heard of them doing anything like it.

It's a good idea.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:15 am

Brett is correct (that just doesn't feel right saying that) about bourbon. I went to a bourbon dinner at North End a few years ago that featured great food and great bourbon (Old Rip Van Winkle). The good was ssublime. The bourbon was nectar. But, they really didn't pair up together like the same food would with wine (easy Shawn!) or beer.

That being said, a restaurant in NYC was recently doing a cocktail pairing dinner. If the alcohol level is brought down with various other ingredients in the cocktail I could see it working, but for my $$$ I can't pass up a great burgundy with my meal. ( and yes Len, I am referring to Gallo Hearty Burgundy in the big glass-handled jug)
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

by Lori R. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:07 pm

In response to Brett’s point about the dinner being a joint venture being the beverage supplier and the restaurant- - -I did think about that. I guess what I was leaning towards was the restaurant offering wines they already have on the menu to be paired up with the plates being offered for the beer/bourbon tasting. Obviously those attending the dinner would know that it was specific to either the beer/ bourbon, but the individual not a fan of beer/bourbon could still enjoy the food and the evening while enjoying the wines paired with the meal.
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:17 pm

I have seen a few places that will put a wine selection that they believe pairs well with a meal in the menu. Sometimes I have scratched my head at the pairings, but sometimes I've taken the plunge and took their advice. I've had good and bad experiences with this. The problem with it is the different palates that people have. The wines that I prefer do not always sit well with someone else.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444