Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

Look a new Mexican place!!

by Mary Anne » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:53 am

No, really, not a joke...well my enthusiasm for another Mexican restaurant is a joke...a restaurant by the name of "El Rio Grande" is going into what was Limestone on Hurstbourne Pkwy. Is it a chain? A local yokel? I have no clue and Google hasn't been too helpful. Just about a spit from Guaca Mole and two spits from my new favorite La Cocina de Mama...do we really need yet another Mexican place? I guess I am assuming it is a Mexican restaurant, maybe it's something completely different? Need it or not, the sign on the door says open soon.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Look a new Mexican place!!

by Mark R. » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:27 pm

I saw that the other day to and was also wondering what it's going to be. I found one of the restaurant by that name in Dry Ridge Kentucky which is off of I 75 halfway between Lexington and Cincinnati. I doubt it's an extension of that one but maybe it is. It's certainly going to have an uphill battle getting established based on the other 2 great Mexican restaurants in the area that you mentioned. They both serve completely different segments of the market but are both great. I also have to believe that location is going to be quite expensive so they are going to have to do a lot of business to stay open.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:37 pm

Mark R. wrote: I also have to believe that location is going to be quite expensive so they are going to have to do a lot of business to stay open.

The other possibility would be a different order of cuisine and service. Something akin to Rick Bayless' Topolobampo in Chicago - white-tablecloth Mexican regional cuisines, chef-driven ... something like Seviche only regional Mexican - might work in that space. I kind of doubt that's what we have here, but who knows? It pretty much has to be something better capitalized than a taqueria to even think about going into a space that formal and that large.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:21 pm

We could be lucky enough to get a white tablecloth Mexican place could we? I think it's actually something that would go over quite well here in Louisville and it's a market segment that we don't have anything to compete with it. I certainly agree that I don't think the members would work for a taqueria. If Limestone had trouble making the numbers work for that space they certainly would.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Thinking out loud with no information, but letting intuition run free, it's worth noting that "El Rio Grande" MAY suggest Tex-Mex more than regional Mexico.

And that makes me think that Chuy's is apparently thriving in a space of similar size (and maybe similar numbers) over by Oxmoor. Maybe this is something more like Chuy's? Familiar-to-anglos Tex-Mex fare with a big bar? Not as exciting as Topolobampo, but now that I think about the moniker, maybe more likely?

Or maybe this is Fernando's still-secret NEXT venture? :lol:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Or maybe this is Fernando's still-secret NEXT venture? :lol:

That certainly wouldn't surprise me! If you look at everyplace he's opened, it's got into where a restaurant previously used to be that failed for one reason or another. It fits his model very well.

no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Mayan Cafe is kind of a white tablecloth Mexican. I was pretty sad that Don Juan didn't make it. It wasn't white tablecloth, but it was a genuine attempt to raise the bar on casual, authentic, mid-range Mexican. That's a niche we need more of -- like Guacamole, which is good.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:24 pm

There are a couple of Rio Grande restaurants in West Virginia. I can't imagine them going into such a space here in Louisville. Their stuff is low end 2-3 of the same sauces and Lunch Special #1,2,3, etc.

In any event, they'll have to go on the bottom of my list after about 27 other places that serve Latin-Mexican "inspired" food. I'm becoming less "inspired" as they pile up.
James J. Natsis
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:46 am

That space has been through so much trouble (the center, not just the former Limestone space) that I wouldn't be surprised to see them rent to something much lower-scale than Limestone was. Anxious to see what it is, though, since it's a stone's throw from my office.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:39 pm

Another plus one for La Cocina de Mama from our house! We have been eating there probably at least once per week, and getting queso dip about every other week for when I actually cook. :)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:23 am

TP Lowe wrote:That space has been through so much trouble (the center, not just the former Limestone space) that I wouldn't be surprised to see them rent to something much lower-scale than Limestone was. Anxious to see what it is, though, since it's a stone's throw from my office.

Always hated trying to get in or out of there when it was Limestone. :(
no avatar
User

linda.benz

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:27 pm

by linda.benz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:32 am

Difficult to enter or exit??? Maybe you have confused the former Limestone location with another defunct restaurant? Say what you will about the location, ease of access is not one of them. There are lights at both ends of the access roads with safe turn arrows. :o
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:43 pm

linda.benz wrote:Difficult to enter or exit??? Maybe you have confused the former Limestone location with another defunct restaurant? Say what you will about the location, ease of access is not one of them. There are lights at both ends of the access roads with safe turn arrows. :o

Hurstbourne Lane is, quite often, a parking lot, even much later into the day. I realize there are lights, but I don't get anywhere near Hurstbourne if I can help it, unless it's super early, or super late at night (neither are times I tend to be eating out). It doesn't matter if you have a turn signal if 4 or 5 cars get through each red light. Perhaps that area has gotten better since I've last been over. Don't know. Like I said, I won't get on Hurstbourne if I can help it -- only road in Lou I avoid assiduously :D
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:22 pm

linda.benz wrote:Difficult to enter or exit??? Maybe you have confused the former Limestone location with another defunct restaurant? Say what you will about the location, ease of access is not one of them. There are lights at both ends of the access roads with safe turn arrows. :o

What ??? A Louisvillian actually use a regulated intersection when there is an opportunity to turn left across four lanes of busy traffic at an -unregulated- intersection ???.....I'll believe it when I see it :roll: :mrgreen: :?
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

linda.benz

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:27 pm

by linda.benz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Lol!! Some of us with graduate degrees have the brains to avoid those "death defying" left hand turns! As to Hurstbourne Parkway being a parking lot; the poster must be confusing the section around I-64 with the old Limestone location. Traffic moves fairly well between Shelbyville Road and Westport Road.
Next