Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Ending tipping

no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Ending tipping

by Rich S » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:32 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/e ... -1.2397003

Famed restaurateur Danny Meyer is eliminating all tipping from his New York City restaurants — a move he says could save the restaurant business. ...

Meyer will hike up the prices of food and drinks at his restaurants in order to make the math work. Pricing is still being finalized for the November roll out, but the bill of fare will reportedly being increased from 20% to 25% across the portfolio.

For diners, that pencils out to the price of the meal, plus the tip they might have paid, plus an additional charge, which Meyer says will go towards increasing the wages of all restaurant workers, from the chefs, who take home the most green, to the dishwashers at the bottom of the food chain.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Ending tipping

by RonnieD » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:13 pm

He should get a Ziosk and could eliminate server labor entirely, tips and all.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Rich S wrote:from the chefs, who take home the most green

Um...what? LOL. Sorry, but chefs don't "take home the most green". I'm....just really confused that anyone thinks that.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:28 pm

Basic message is "If every other major country in the world can pay restaurant staff a decent wage without tipping, then why can't we?" Could have come out of St. Bernie's lips. Suppose no one will answer this quite reasonable question just like no one will answer Bernie's similar questions.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:17 pm

I think the real question is can the hype and subsequent performance of this restaurant sustain a business that just priced itself well above the competition. It doesn't matter the economic scheme you create, it only matters if it can work in the market.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:27 pm

I can't see it ending because I'm not sure how it would work for a place that does a lot of take-out business. I've never eaten in Kashmir, but I've carried out a dozen or so times. If a place like that ended tipping and raised prices for all accordingly, I wouldn't carry out as much and, given that it seems that a good chunk of their business comes from that, their bottom line would probably take a hit.