Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

debate

by Sonja W » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:26 pm

I've been following both the beer and the smoking threads with great interest. I thought both debates were, overall, responsibly and respectfully conducted. I learned a lot more about where people with opposing viewpoints (to my own) are coming from (particularly on the smoking issue), and I'm glad of that.

Whenever topics that include both objective and subjective criteria are involved (and that includes food), opinions are bound to differ. Sure, compared to the biggies (war, starvation, etc.) these topics are indulgences.

Our family spent the holidays with a "Lost Boy" from Sudan. His name is Arkangel. Hearing about his experiences of trying to find food in the jungle while running for his life - eating leaves and the sap from trees - while we were engaged in our persnickety meal preparations, was a sobering contrast. But Ark also told us, with nostalgic pleasure and in great detail, about traditional week-long Sudanese Christmas feasts of spit-roast goat, and sheep, how the meat was seasoned, and the details of how they brew beer by fermenting various grains in successive buckets. If he ever returns to his village, he said, it will be a bad day for the goats because a feast will have to be prepared.

Not sure how to wrap up these thoughts (and am adverse to a tidy moral), except to say that I've enjoyed these discussions and I think they're worthwhile.

So, "Eet Smakelijk"! (That's what you say in Dutch before a good meal).
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:31 pm

thanks sonja

cool to here about local ways of brewing beer

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

Re: Do we all need an enema?

by Aaron Newton » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:41 pm

Amen Blake. One of the reasons I ducked out of one of the recent hot topics... largely irrelevant, pointless, and many of use were losing sight of the fact that we agree on more than we disagree on. I just wanna be more about the food here again, and less about the peripherals.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:09 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:I think we should divide the forum into some new sub-categories:

- The Smoking Section.

- The Air quality controlled, smoke-free, hygienic, sanitized Shelter

- The Cicerone Speakeasy.

- Bud Light Love Ranch (and why regardless of what Deano drinks his crew is cooking circles around half of Louisville. Still!)

- 8664,65,71,264,265 and other subjects relating to numerical equations.

- The CJ/Velocity makes excellent fire-kindling (provided you didn't pay for it) Furnace/bonfire/crematorium

- Taquerias and their place in 4 star dining discussion box.

- the Super Mario Bros Pizza box, plumbers optional.

-the Anthony Bourdain-inspired 'Chef Show and Tell Show'.

- Corporate America vs. LouisvilleHotBytes - 'Cage fight to the death' Room.

- The Arena/Bridge Project/Mayor Jerr/Fourth St. Live! everything fun Circus.

- The bitch about anything not covered above; it doesn't matter, your opinion is wrong and subjective Soapbox.

- the 'I Suppose we still need a little bit of serious objective food coverage and discussion' Forums

Any other suggestions?!?! :D

i hope you all can sieve through the stench of sarcasm and facetiousness...
NICE!!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:39 am

Through debate comes understanding......and misunderstandings. I think there is room for debate as well as opinions.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:08 am

John R. wrote:I think there is room for debate as well as opinions.

Of course there is. Everyone can be assured that there's PLENTY of room for debate on this forum.

What there's not room for is insulting, un-civil or obscene debate. Attack the idea, but not the person, so the Forum Janitor won't have to come out from under the porch, barking and snapping. <I>That</I> is the only issue that has raised objections in these threads, not the debate itself.

Pardon the repetition, and please be assured, John, that this is aimed at the congregation, not at any specific member. But it's worth repeating: We can argue about anything, but please, let's keep it civil and avoid personal attacks.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:28 am

I think one of the reasons I habitually visit this site is because it offers such a wide variety of opinions on food AND the peripherals. I appreciate any opinion, especially if it differs from my own, if there's some valid research and information backing it. It's the exposure to an idea that's new, different and exciting that I search for. If I find a thread is beating a dead horse, overstating the obvious or just bores me, I don't read it. How cool is that!? I have options here.
I can't sign off here without saying that on several occasions I have changed my mind regarding some situations based on the the input from the more knowledgeable individuals I've met here. The arguments are valid, informed and usually very civil.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Thanks Robin, I like this site."
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:58 pm

carla griffin wrote:I think one of the reasons I habitually visit this site is because it offers such a wide variety of opinions on food AND the peripherals. I appreciate any opinion, especially if it differs from my own, if there's some valid research and information backing it. It's the exposure to an idea that's new, different and exciting that I search for. If I find a thread is beating a dead horse, overstating the obvious or just bores me, I don't read it. How cool is that!? I have options here.
I can't sign off here without saying that on several occasions I have changed my mind regarding some situations based on the the input from the more knowledgeable individuals I've met here. The arguments are valid, informed and usually very civil.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Thanks Robin, I like this site."

Well said, Carla. I too enjoy and learn from the debates here, and if a certain thread gets boring or irritating, I quit reading. Oh the whole I think this is a very well-behaved message board!
Previous