Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Time flies, things change and 211 Clover Lane stays flawless

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Time flies, things change and 211 Clover Lane stays flawless

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Eoast half-chicken at 211 Clover Lane

Sooner or later, every restaurant critic - or every restaurant critic who's paying attention, anyway - confronts a dilemma: With so many restaurants and so little time, it's hard to get back to those reliable old favorites.

Your heart wants to go back and indulge in the comfortable places that you love. Your brain - and your urge to begrudge extra calorie intake - pulls you the other way. So, assuming that a new review won't add much to the wisdom imparted by your last review, you head off in pursuit of the next big thing; and everything stays the same. Until it doesn't.

Take 211 Clover Lane, for instance. I love this little place! A local landmark since 1992, it's an understated, elegant whiff of Provence, located in sylvan surroundings just off the pulsing core of St. Matthews' booming eat-drink-and-party zone. I'll drop in for a delicious brunch on occasion, just for fun, without a thought of a review.

The other day I ran across my last review in the archives: Nov. 14, 2007! OK, that's a little too long. So what could be finer than a return visit and an updated review, which you're reading just short of eight years later.

So, what's changed? On one hand, not that much. Everything I said above still applies: Pretty, understated, elegant, located in sylvan surroundings that belie its proximity to the railroad, major traffic arteries and the bright lights of Trinity High School's sprawling campus.

On the other hand, a few little things have changed: a new chef, for instance, and a subtle redo that kept the mood of understated elegance but transformed the bar, in particular, from a cozy little hangout to a beautiful, larger club-like space. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5396

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/10/time-f ... -flawless/

211 Clover Lane
The Colony Center
211 Clover Lane
896-9570
211clover.com
Facebook: bit.ly/211CloverFB
Robin Garr's rating: 92 points
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Re: Time flies, things change and 211 Clover Lane stays flaw

by meghan.levins » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:13 am

Thanks from all of us for the kind review, Robin! I am leaving Clover to head up Monnik Beer Co, so this was a nice end cap!! Wish you had tried my kalette salad, but you can try it over Monnik :P
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Emily Hornback, at the bar, keeps us stopping in a few times a year. She is the only thing in the place that doesn't seem extremely dated.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:44 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Emily Hornback, at the bar, keeps us stopping in a few times a year. She is the only thing in the place that doesn't seem extremely dated.

:shock:
Is this a joke? I think you left off the smiley ...
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:12 am

Robin Garr wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:Emily Hornback, at the bar, keeps us stopping in a few times a year. She is the only thing in the place that doesn't seem extremely dated.

:shock:

Old people joke
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:43 am

JustinHammond wrote:
Robin Garr wrote: :shock:

Old people joke

So when you go to the bar, you don't look at the menu? I didn't see any Beef Wellington on it ... 8)
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:46 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Justin Hammond wrote:Old people joke

So when you go to the bar, you don't look at the menu? I didn't see any Beef Wellington on it ... 8)

clientele

The food and drinks are great, just not a lot of diversity in the clientele.

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:34 am

JustinHammond wrote:clientele

The food and drinks are great, just not a lot of diversity in the clientele.

Oh. It seemed pretty mixed when we were in, but yeah, probably an "old money" demographic. :oops: