Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Ziosk

no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Ziosk

by Mark R. » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Well I'm sure they are here to stay I certainly don't like these terminals! They not only make the service experience much more impersonal but they also prod you to use a higher tip as a baseline. When we used the money at Chili's (it was quite a while ago so they may have changed) it started out the tip at 20% and you would adjust from there. I asked the waitress what she thought of the system and she said that her tips had actually gone up since they started using them. That makes it a more positive experience for the waitress considering they get more money and work less but I don't see where it helps the customers at all unless they are in a really big hurry!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:35 am

Well, for me, even though I may be a Luddite when it comes to cell phones and carbonless receipts, :wink: , I like the idea of more time spent with whoever I've chosen to dine with, and less contact with unpredictable waitstaff. The atmosphere and food of a restaurant is why I go out to eat. Interaction with servers may enhance or detract from that experience; the automated concept gives me more control.

I haven't encountered any of these new gizmos yet, but I'm sure they'll improve and become more commonplace.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:11 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:unpredictable waitstaff

Therein lies the problem. A good FOH staff eliminates this variable and provides prompt and courteous service that is unobtrusive.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 pm

"We hope you enjoy the ride!"
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:37 pm

yeah, but if you stiff the Johnny Cab, it will try to destroy you.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:54 pm

RonnieD wrote:yeah, but if you stiff the Johnny Cab, it will try to destroy you.

Ziosk may just be biding it's time... PS Ziosk makes me thing Zardoz...

no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Wow, I was wondering what Ziosk was reminding me of. That's it. Zardoz. Thank you.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm mostly worried about that dude working that suplex in the upper right corner. :shock:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Beth Thorpe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Highlands

by Beth Thorpe » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:58 pm

As someone who waited tables for years, the idea that I would get a beep or notification every time someone wanted something-- I might have lost it. Also-- I would think that it would be a way to obsessively keep track of waiter's service. "Now see here Biff, last month, there were 32 requests for drinks being refilled. You are getting written up for not being on top of that....." Not that you don't want good service, but this is a bit too big brother for me.
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:59 pm

I'm not fond of this Ziosk system, but many restaurants in Korea have these at every table and I think it's great. It saves one from the frustrations of not being able to get their waiter's attention because they're Facebooking or outside sucking on a cancer stick.

no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:49 pm

Ray Griffith wrote:I'm not fond of this Ziosk system, but many restaurants in Korea have these at every table and I think it's great. It saves one from the frustrations of not being able to get their waiter's attention because they're Facebooking or outside sucking on a cancer stick.

That looks like a good middle-of-the-road compromise between what we have now and the Ziosk terminals. It doesn't take the personal interaction out of the equation because you still have to go through a waitstaff person but it does provide a quick way to get their attention. Kind of like the pager that tells you your tables ready in reverse. I wonder what the waitstaff's opinion of them are?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:13 pm

The real customer, and likely wait staff, advantage would be the ability to pay at the exact instant one wishes, no waiting, if it prints out a receipt. I can say without reservation that 90% of anything you could call a 'service issue' we have ever had involves a delay in settling the bill to get the hell out to start living the rest of our lives. I bet a lot of wait staff wouldn't mind being relieved of the time spent on the check out procedure.
Otherwise, it's good to talk to wait staff and find out about daily specials. I often ask for recommendations or other opinions. Even HAL9000 could scarcely be expected to offer an opinion about the dishes they like best, let alone Ziosk. Probably this system or ones like it will become standard in places with a central kitchen sending out to satellite stores freeze-dried packets of standard dishes to be reconstituted with water in a microwave like it seems is done at many chains. Doubt it will make much headway in restaurants dedicated to providing a quality dining experience as opposed to just puttin' on the feed bag. But an automated checkout station at the table would be a great feature.
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:43 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:
RonnieD wrote:yeah, but if you stiff the Johnny Cab, it will try to destroy you.

Ziosk may just be biding it's time... PS Ziosk makes me think of Zardoz...

Previous