Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

A winter farmers' market for St Matthews!

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:44 am

Great news! Today is the last day of the season for the St. Matthews Farmers Market at Beargrass Christian Church, usually a sad event, but people in many of the farmers today were all abuzz about a plan to continue through the winter in the neighborhood ... indoors ... just a block or two down Browns Lane at Harvey Browne Presbyterian Church. Subject to a final meeting next week, I hear, they'll open Saturdays - reportedly from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. - starting Nov. 7 and continuing through spring. Mark me down as a regular! :)
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: A winter farmers' market for St Matthews!

by James Natsis » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Good news, indeed. This may also serve as a starting point for an eventual centrally located market. This has been sorely missing in Louisville.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Re: A winter farmers' market for St Matthews!

by Ellen P » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:13 pm

I can almost remember the downtown market. It seems as if there were rooms and/or stalls. Different vendors. As a child, it seemed like a special place to shop. I remember a produce spot on Bardstown Road also. It was there until 10 or 15 years ago. Near the Leatherhead? I can even remember someone pushing a cart up or down our street yelling 'fresh vegetables'. This was in the new Highlands when it was new (Dartmouth Avenue). Shopped at Steidens at Douglas Loop until one opened near St. Raphaels/Hawthorne. I remember we went out Shelbyville Road to get eggs, near Hurstbourne. Out Taylorsville Road to J/Town for something too. Had milk delivered to our back door. It was left in a silver box. I remember the Karems, Deebs, or Georges - having a place on Hikes Lane back behind their big house that looked like an apartment building. Also, getting ice cream in Buechel at Fanellis and going to the bakery at Douglas Loops. Loved all those breads. Potato and rye were my favorites as a child. Loved those steps. And, at the top of my street, the butcher shop, Von Allmens, the dry goods store, and the 'family' liquor store, Joe Fowlers.
Ooops, went down memory lane.