Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

jere.downs

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:12 pm

Vegan items on Louisville restaurant menus

by jere.downs » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:25 pm

Where can a vegan eat out in Louisville? The Courier-Journal rounds up growing demand in this story

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/li ... /72969800/

Do you see more requests for whole food, plant-based dishes? How are menus changing to reflect shift?
Jere Downs
Food Writer
Louisville Courier-Journal
(502) 582-4669
Jdowns@Courier-Journal.com
@JereDowns
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Vegan items on Louisville restaurant menus

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jere! Thanks for posting.

I've noticed some response by the restaurant community thanks to a combination of aging Boomers seeking the stave off mortality through healthier eating, and younger Millennials (and all generations, really), becoming more invested in food justice and pushing back against Big Agra. As a food writer/critic, I've been trying to quietly recognize that by including both plant-based and omnivorous options, where possible, in all the places I review, and by following this trend in the food community locally and nationwide.

As I said on Facebook, I'm not ready to declare it a trend. I think there's definitely been a change in that a lot of restaurants, especially newer restaurants, particularly in hip neighborhoods like NuLu, are more likely to feature at least one - sometimes several - creative, unusual meat-free dishes. A lot more, though, will leave veggivores mostly corralled among the starters and salads, or with at most an old-school, boring option like a fancied-up portobello or fettuccine alfredo as the only plant-based choice. And some places, of course, are simply clueless. Given the location and the creativity of the chef, for instance, I was surprised to see that the buzzy new Fontleroy's had only a Mac N Cheez (albeit a tasty one) among its almost-entree options.

So, yeah, things are changing, but I'm not sure that meat-free has taken its place among poultry, pork, beef and seafood-fish among the standard categories at most local eateries.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:50 pm

I am far from vegan/vegetarian but I love to try new healthier options and since checking out the meat free dishes on the menus I have discovered some of my new favorite dishes to eat when dining out...The first one that comes to mind is the Baby Eggplant with tofu in claypot at NamNam I would eat that any time and never ever miss meat. There is anything I have tried at Roots/Heart and Soy never had a bad dish. Also, when eating at Funmi's I choose vegetarian, you can't go wrong with anything she cooks.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Mayan Gypsy should definitely be on this list.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Mayan Gypsy should definitely be on this list.

Not to mention all the Indian places.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:26 pm

I think the Forks over Knives-style diet of low-fat vegan food is growing in popularity. I have begun eating that way and attended a seminar at Baptist East about it a few months ago. There were probably 200 people in attendance. There's a doctor in town who's a big proponent of it. I haven't seen too many restaurants around town with dishes that fit into that diet, so it's either a baked potato topped with steamed vegetables at McCalister's or steamed vegetables from Hunan Wok for me. I'd be happy to find something other than those to try.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:32 am

I bet vegetarian dining has a bigger following then some would believe. Judging by some harsh statements from many of my friends when I opted for the Forks Over Knives diet I bet many don't mention their preference. Carnivores, for some reason, get their panties in a real twist when someone simply says, " sorry, I don't eat meat." I have no idea why.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:15 am

Carla G wrote:Carnivores, for some reason, get their panties in a real twist when someone simply says, " sorry, I don't eat meat." I have no idea why.

It's a learned response that has nothing to do with you. They are just bracing themselves for the moral indignation that they are sure will follow.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:52 am

Steve H wrote:
It's a learned response that has nothing to do with you. They are just bracing themselves for the moral indignation that they are sure will follow.

Love proving those folks wrong. However, I agree that some local restaurants, including new ones popping up, could step it up a bit in the vegetarian options dept. It's not that hard to offer one or two creative vegetarian options. Bonus points if it's not a pasta dish or a mushroom/black bean burger....
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:38 am

Heather L wrote:Bonus points if it's not a pasta dish or a mushroom/black bean burger....

Or a frickin' grilled portobello painted with crema and balsamic and presented as if it was the most creative idea ever. :roll:
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:00 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Heather L wrote:Bonus points if it's not a pasta dish or a mushroom/black bean burger....

Or a frickin' grilled portobello painted with crema and balsamic and presented as if it was the most creative idea ever. :roll:

Grilled portobellos are awesome.... on a hamburger with swiss.
:lol:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:13 am

Steve H wrote:
Carla G wrote:Carnivores, for some reason, get their panties in a real twist when someone simply says, " sorry, I don't eat meat." I have no idea why.

Aaaaaaaand my point is proven! Thanks! :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:35 am

Continuing to fill out Jere's request, White Castle veggie burgers are vegetarian, and if you (wisely) shun the optional ranch sauce, they're vegan. It's Dr. Praeger's brand, which is a good quality veggie-burg and asserts its vegan status here:
http://www.drpraegers.com/Vegan-Burgers

(FYI, WC says the veggie burgers are done on a separate grill from the meat burgers, and that it's cleaned before veggie use; but they can't promise the hard-core vegan that the grill has NEVER known the kiss of animal flesh.)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:38 am

From observation, I wouldn't say that all carnivores do this. My armchair psychoanalysis is that it tends to come with folks who've known some hardship in their own lives and feel threatened by the idea of giving more concern to "mere" animals than they feel that they get. A control issue of sorts. I try to feel compassion for them, although irritation and compassion tend to come in conflict. ;)
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:38 am

Robin Garr wrote:Not to mention all the Indian places.

I love Indian food, but most of it is off limits for the Forks over Knives followers. It tends to be pretty high in fat.
Next