Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Joe's Older than Dirt - Red Barn Kitchen

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:50 pm

http://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_ ... lder-dirt/

Joe's Older than Dirt is closing, Red Barn Kitchen taking over the space.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: Joe's Older than Dirt - Red Barn Kitchen

by Adriel Gray » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:55 pm

Pumped about this. :D
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:55 pm

I shed a tear when I read Joe's was closing....I'd grown up just down LaGrange Road from there. All my life, Joe's was an option for good food, friends and times...... :cry:

I jumped for joy when I read the news that Fernando Martinez et al were opening the Red Bard there, with a Madisonville native in the kitchen (having visited Madisonville up until my Grandmother passed 10 years ago, West KY BBQ is some of the best around) I was really drooling. :shock:

I must admit, I do feel that Fernando and company are systematically trying to financially break me by opening all of these incredible places to eat :mrgreen:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Bill Veneman wrote: I must admit, I do feel that Fernando and company are systematically trying to financially break me by opening all of these incredible places to eat :mrgreen:

It's not just you! Pretty soon he's going to control the entire Louisville dining scene the way he's going. It seems like he opens a new restaurant every 6 months these days and every one of them is fantastic. It's certainly great to have somebody that talented with so much energy in the Louisville area! He's also very good at recruiting and keeping great chefs in his kitchens.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Mehhhh....one of the worst meals I've had since moving to Louisville was at the Muscle and Buger Bar about a month after they opened...and while Guacamole is my daughters favorite spots when we have a father/daughter date...I've personally found the dishes I've ordered to be a half a notch above common. Your mileage may vary.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:37 am

I liked Joe's as a place to drink beer and watch sports but the food was a nightmare. One of the worst lunches I have ever had. Very happy for this new venture taking it's place.
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:00 am

Steve P wrote:Mehhhh....one of the worst meals I've had since moving to Louisville was at the Muscle and Buger Bar about a month after they opened...and while Guacamole is my daughters favorite spots when we have a father/daughter date...I've personally found the dishes I've ordered to be a half a notch above common. Your mileage may vary.

I have to agree with you. Myself and some friends went there to eat Friday night and it was a pretty underwhelming experience. They brought our appetizers to the table without any silverware and we waited five minutes before one of my dining companions was able to get anyone's attention to fix the situation. The short rib nachos we ordered were super heavy on the toppings but very very light on the chips so by the end we were left with a pile of braised beef and sour cream with nothing to eat it with but our forks. It was also really in need of salt and when I mentioned this one of my friends pointed out the fact that no one seemed to have salt on their tables and I had to point out to him that it's because salt shouldn't be needed in a place like MBB. The burgers came out and I could tell immediately the food had sat in the window for a time because my duck fat fingerlings had started to look dry and were only slightly warm. They were still delicious and certainly the most enjoyable part of the meal so I ate them and took my burger to go. The beef itself was a really good blend but I was unimpressed with the toppings.

The ambience was pretty lacking as it was extremely dark and I'm not a big fan of the bare walls in the dining room. If I went back I'd probably just order a double side of those potatoes and call it a night.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:10 pm

I've eaten at MBB maybe a half dozen times and every time it was great. Turned a bunch of others onto it as well. I did have one very disappointing meal in the restaurant down stairs. Never returned to it. So, count me on the very pleased side to see Joe's OTD to switch hands. You can say what you want about the nostalgia of Joes but the food was solidly mediocre.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:56 pm

Carla G wrote:I've eaten at MBB maybe a half dozen times and every time it was great. Turned a bunch of others onto it as well. I did have one very disappointing meal in the restaurant down stairs. Never returned to it. So, count me on the very pleased side to see Joe's OTD to switch hands. You can say what you want about the nostalgia of Joes but the food was solidly mediocre.

I'm with that, too. But maybe "Muscle" and Burger Bar is different? :lol:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm with that, too. But maybe "Muscle" and Burger Bar is different? :lol:

IIRC, the very first person to announce MBB was in the works here on the forum did so with the "Muscle" spelling. I was confused. "Is it a bodybuilding themed place? Or are they saying the burgers come from animal muscle - where else do you get hamburger?" :lol:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:53 pm

For the record....my misspellings were intentional.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:11 pm

Speaking of Fernando and his multitude of restaurants, we went to the soft opening of Artesamo last evening. They certainly done a major job remodeling it and it really looks fantastic. I can't even begin to describe the food choices because I would murder the spelling of most of them. Everything we had with fantastic but several of them really stood out. The Dates stuffed with Goat Cheese and wrapped in Bacon that we had for appetizers were heavenly and we actually ended up with a 2nd order of them. The cheese and meat boards were also very good. Fernando also stopped by the table and recommended that we try the Beef Cheeks and we certainly were glad we did! They were extremely tender and flavorful. The desserts we had were also great, I'm not sure who their desert chef is but they are also doing a great job. Pricing looks pretty reasonable, comparable to Mojitos +/-. They have a good-sized wine list most of which is quite reasonably priced, we had a very nice Chilean Pinot that was priced at $30/bottle and it was excellent.

They officially opened next Monday, serving dinner only for a while but eventually they will start serving lunch and dinner 7 days per week and they will have a brunch on Sundays. Fernando also mentioned that right now M&B downtown is only open for lunch at the present time but again will be going to lunch and dinner 7 days a week.

It also looks like they did a great job raiding CQ for help. Our waitress was from there and she said that there were 3 or 4 of them who had come from there as well as the GM. Tito, Fernando's son is also going to be at the restaurant most of the time.

Definitely a restaurant to put on your list of places to try!!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

by Andrew A » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:55 am

I've competed against their new chef a few times at BBQ comps. I'm looking forward to what they are going to offer. Nobody in the city or possibly state does whole hog bbq, so that has my attention.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:45 am

Steve P wrote:Mehhhh....one of the worst meals I've had since moving to Louisville was at the Muscle and Buger Bar about a month after they opened...and while Guacamole is my daughters favorite spots when we have a father/daughter date...I've personally found the dishes I've ordered to be a half a notch above common. Your mileage may vary.

I could not disagree with the above, any more.....his heart and soul is clearly visible in both of those places.....you may have had a bad experience.....but normal is not a word I use to describe anything Fernando does.