Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Loui Loui’s Gets Menu Makeover

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:47 pm

Loui Loui’s Gets Menu Makeover

Loui Loui’s, Inc, (dba Loui Loui’s Authentic Detroit Style Pizza) announced exciting changes to its menu and enhances other programs in response to customer feedback.

Menu Makeover
Loui Loui’s recently updated its menu by adding three new entrée categories and two signature
Detroit style pizzas. To satisfy those with a taste for a thinner-style pizza crust, Loui Loui’s
created a new Flatbread Pizza category which currently includes the Cuban, Nolita, BBQ
Chicken and the very popular El Taco Loui. Customers may also design their own flatbread
pizzas by choosing from 30 toppings. A new entrée category was also added entitled “Ferd’s
Favorites” featuring three classic entrees from the former Ferd Grisanti’s Restaurant menu
including Cannelloni Toscana, Chicken Formaggio and Fettuccine with Clams. The third new
menu category, entitled “Lighter Fare,” features Italian Stuffed Chicken, Tuscan Rubbed Salmon
Filet and Spinach & Ricotta Manicotti. “We listened to our customers and responded with these
new offerings,” said Michael Spurlock, President and Founder. Loui Loui’s also added two new
signature pizzas: The “Meatball and Ricotta” which was inspired by Loui Loui’s ever popular
Polpettini Meatball and Ricotta appetizer, and the “Greek” which includes beef and lamb gyro
slices and traditional vegetables topped with Tzatziki sauce. Also, all Loui Loui’s pizzas are
now available with gluten-free crust.

Lunch Buffet Saves Time
In addition to personal lunch pizzas, Coney Island hot dogs and hot gourmet sandwiches, a lunch
buffet is available Tuesday-Friday 11:30 am - 2:00 pm for only $7.99. The buffet includes salad
with a variety of dressings, pasta of the day, authentic Detroit style pizza and dessert. “The
lunch buffet is for customers who are looking for quality food without the wait”, said Spurlock.
Early Dinner Savings up to 50%

Loui Loui’s also recently launched a great pricing deal created for customers with the flexibility
to eat dinner prior to peak dining hours. Customers seated between 3 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday – Saturday can buy any four square pizza or pasta entrée for only $8.99 or any dinner
salad for only $5.99. No coupon is required to receive these substantial savings which can range
up to 50%.

Founded in 2012, Loui Loui’s, Inc, is a family-owned Louisville, Kentucky-based
restaurant company specializing in fresh artisan pizza, pasta, craft beer and service excellence.
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

Re: Loui Loui’s Gets Menu Makeover

by bob.durbin » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:26 am

While I've never eaten at this establishment and have no knowledge as to whether or not they're any good, I do have an issue with the term "Detroit" style pizza. I'm from Detroit and for the first 31 years of my life, (moved in 2011), I can't recall one time ever hearing anyone refer to a pizza in this style as "Detroit". The pizza they seem to be making is a traditional Sicilian pan pizza. While this style of pizza may be common in Detroit, it's no more so than standard New York style round pizza.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm from Detroit and for the first 31 years of my life, (moved in 2011), I can't recall one time ever hearing anyone refer to a pizza in this style as "Detroit".

For what it's worth, I found an article online that tries to explain what makes "Detroit style" distinctive. I think I've seen other versions of the story where it was originally baked in metal parts trays used at Detroit auto factories:

... Of course, no one in Detroit refers to their hometown pies as being “Detroit-style”; it’s simply just the pizza locals grew up with. But for the rest of us, describing pizza as Detroit-style, like the owners of Via 313 Austin, TX do, gives us a chance to learn about a misunderstood city’s culinary history and indulge in some truly enticing pizza. Whether you try making it at home or visit one of the many Detroit-style pizzerias popping up across the country, here are five reasons why you should be eating Detroit-style pizza.

It’s All In The Pan

Simply described as a square or rectangular pan pizza, Detroit’s signature style all goes back to some resourceful home cooks who wanted a crispier crust on their pizza. Legend has it that the originators of Detroit-style pizza were looking for something to bake a pizza in when they stumbled upon an unused oil drip pan. This being Detroit and all, it should come as no surprise that this is the locals’ favorite origin story (who doesn’t have an extra oil drip pan handy at home?), but there’s actually more sense behind it than you might think.

Traditional pizza pans are made of aluminum, which don’t promote carmelization of the dough as it bakes, but blackened steel, the pan de jour for Detroit-style, ensures that the outside of the crust gets extra crispy while the inside stays fluffy and chewy. American ingenuity truly is delicious. ...

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... le-pi.html
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by bob.durbin » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:52 pm

I've seen this article and it's pretty ridiculous to openly try to call something "Detroit" style bc it was supposedly made in a spare car part. Funny thing is, I never heard this story about the pizza until after I moved from home. This isn't food lore where I'm from. Unlike Chicago or New York where they actively and proudly promote their own styles of pizza and have multiple origin stories on their respective slices. Also, there's no difference in the ingredients, method, or cooking of the squares pizza that differs from any other traditional pizza you'll find. It's just a square pan. Now, if you want to talk about food Detroit is known for, let's look at the coney dog. All beef, natural cased, steam cooked frankfurter served on a steamed bun with a smooth chili sauce made from beef heart, topped with onion, and plain yellow mustard. Unlike with this janky pizza, this is a Detroit food icon and the story behind it's creation, and the family issues since, is well known and documented.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:48 pm

I'll have one of those Detroit dogs, please.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:33 pm

bob.durbin wrote: Now, if you want to talk about food Detroit is known for,'s look at the coney dog. All beef, natural cased, steam cooked frankfurter served on a steamed bun with a smooth chili sauce made from beef heart, topped with onion, and plain yellow mustard. Unlike with this janky pizza, this is a Detroit food icon and the story behind it's creation, and the family issues since, is well known and documented.

I find it ironic that the one food that Detroit truly declares its own have the name of another well-known spot far from Detroit (Coney) in its name! They sound great but my that Detroit promote a hot dog with the name of another place in its name?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:00 pm

RonnieD wrote:I'll have one of those Detroit dogs, please.

That does sound delicious!

I also like the looks of this menu revamp. The Ferd's throwback portion puts a smile on my face.
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by bob.durbin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:18 am

Mark R. wrote:
bob.durbin wrote: Now, if you want to talk about food Detroit is known for,'s look at the coney dog. All beef, natural cased, steam cooked frankfurter served on a steamed bun with a smooth chili sauce made from beef heart, topped with onion, and plain yellow mustard. Unlike with this janky pizza, this is a Detroit food icon and the story behind it's creation, and the family issues since, is well known and documented.

I find it ironic that the one food that Detroit truly declares its own have the name of another well-known spot far from Detroit (Coney) in its name! They sound great but my that Detroit promote a hot dog with the name of another place in its name?

That's because when the Greek and Macedonian immigrants that would later come to Detroit and develop the coney island, which is also the name of the type of diner the dogs are served in, came through New York there was a ban from using the name hot dog to describe the frankfurters at the actual coney island park. So when they traveled west and settled in Detroit, opening the new diners, the name stuck. Now that's the type of diner we need here in Louisville. Not some knock off, overpriced, 12 page menu place that thinks they're being creative and hip by putting mac n cheese on a burger.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:53 am

bob.durbin wrote:...when the Greek and Macedonian immigrants that would later come to Detroit and develop the coney island, which is also the name of the type of diner the dogs are served in, came through New York ...

Okay, now, this is fascinating: Cincinnati has an almost identical story, complete with the Greek and Macedonian (also Bulgarian) immigrants who came as post-WWII refugees. They also sold coneys, but in Cincy's case there was actually a local amusement park called ... Coney Island!

The Greeks also rebranded their spaghetti with meat sauce as "chili," and Cincinnati chili was born.

It doesn't really surprise me that similar immigrant communities might have reached both Detroit and Cincy with similar culinary entrepreneurial objectives, but it's to Detroit's good fortune that cinnoman-scented "chili" didn't stick. :mrgreen:

Meanwhile, I'm starting to suspect that Loui Loui may be the source of the "square parts pans" legend, although I do have to say that the method they use gives their crust an addictive buttery-crispy character that I've found in no other pizza, so there's that.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:10 pm

bob.durbin wrote:Now that's the type of diner we need here in Louisville. Not some knock off, overpriced, 12 page menu place that thinks they're being creative and hip by putting mac n cheese on a burger.

THIS and nothing but this.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by bob.durbin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:59 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
bob.durbin wrote:...when the Greek and Macedonian immigrants that would later come to Detroit and develop the coney island, which is also the name of the type of diner the dogs are served in, came through New York ...

Okay, now, this is fascinating: Cincinnati has an almost identical story, complete with the Greek and Macedonian (also Bulgarian) immigrants who came as post-WWII refugees. They also sold coneys, but in Cincy's case there was actually a local amusement park called ... Coney Island!

The Greeks also rebranded their spaghetti with meat sauce as "chili," and Cincinnati chili was born.

It doesn't really surprise me that similar immigrant communities might have reached both Detroit and Cincy with similar culinary entrepreneurial objectives, but it's to Detroit's good fortune that cinnoman-scented "chili" didn't stick. :mrgreen:

Meanwhile, I'm starting to suspect that Loui Loui may be the source of the "square parts pans" legend, although I do have to say that the method they use gives their crust an addictive buttery-crispy character that I've found in no other pizza, so there's that.

Yeah when I first moved here I went to skyline and, not knowing about Cincinnati chili, got what I thought were coneys and chili fries. Boy was I surprised, and slightly disgusted.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:21 pm

bob.durbin wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:but it's to Detroit's good fortune that cinnoman-scented "chili" didn't stick. :mrgreen:

Yeah when I first moved here I went to skyline and, not knowing about Cincinnati chili, got what I thought were coneys and chili fries. Boy was I surprised, and slightly disgusted.

Cincinnati chili has to be the biggest disappointment ever to anybody who really likes Chili!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Actually I like the Cincinnati chili. Just don't expect the chili that we are used to, but a good product on its own. Probably not a real good name outside of Cincinnati.

Also see J Timothy's white chili. Good but not really chili.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:07 am

Wow, lot's of Cincy chili hate percolating here. :lol: I love the stuff and I have a mean recipe for it. It helps if you don't consider it 'chili' I guess. Sort of like how a White Castle slider shouldn't really be thought of as a hamburger. Hmmm, now that I think about it...White Castle is based in Cincy. I'm sensing a pattern.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:36 am

Steve Eslinger wrote:Wow, lot's of Cincy chili hate percolating here. :lol: I love the stuff and I have a mean recipe for it. It helps if you don't consider it 'chili' I guess. Sort of like how a White Castle slider shouldn't really be thought of as a hamburger. Hmmm, now that I think about it...White Castle is based in Cincy. I'm sensing a pattern.

We're on the same page, Steve. A bowl of five-way is not the same thing as a Texas bowl of red, and Pahd Thai is not Fettuccine Alfredo. But Cincy chili is authentic in its own right, rooted in an immigrant community's tradition but evolved in America. It comes from Greek pasta and meat sauce just as Texas Red comes from Mexico's chile colorado.

I honestly think the hate tells us more about the haters than it does about the object of their scorn.
Next