Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

OK, I got a laugh outta this, but, it could be serious....

by Bill Veneman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:31 pm

This is off of the Wave3 website, and forgive for any copy writing faux paus, however, I felt that this might get some interesting discussion going.

:oops: HOUMA, La. (AP) -- A 265-pound man says a restaurant overcharged him for his trips to the buffet, then banned him and a relative because of how much they consumed during their visits.

Ricky Labit, a 6-foot-3 disabled offshore worker, said he had been a regular at the Manchuria Restaurant, eating there as often as three times a week. But on his most recent visit, he said a waitress gave him and his wife's cousin, Michael Borrelli, a bill for $46.40, roughly double the buffet price for two adults.

"She says, 'Y'all fat, and y'all eat too much,''' Labit said.

Labit and Borrelli said they felt discriminated against because of their size.

"I was stunned, that somebody would say something like that. I ain't that fat, I only weigh 277,'' Borrelli said.

Accountant Thomas Campo, who spoke for the restaurant because the owner's English is limited, said the men were charged an extra $10 each on Dec. 21 because they made a habit of dining exclusively on the more expensive seafood dishes, including crab legs and frog legs.

"We have a lot of big people there,'' Campo said. "We don't discriminate.''

The argument over the bill grew heated, and police were called. The police report states that the disagreement was settled when the restaurant said the bill was a mistake and, to appease Labit, the meal was complimentary.

Labit said he insisted on paying but was told not to come back. He complained that when seafood on the buffet line runs out, the restaurant only grudgingly cooks more. Campo said the proprietress tries to reduce waste of quality food.
:oops:

Personally, I feel that if it is a buffet, you can have as much as you want, within a reasonable about of time. Don't take more than you can eat.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:21 pm

True story.

My mom, brother, husband and I got kicked out of a now defunct Asian Buffet on Hurstbourne Lane about 10 years ago because my brother and hubby each ate about 8 plates of food. They handed us the check and told us to leave! I didn't get offended, I thought it was funny then, and still think it's funny now!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:31 pm

True Story: When I worked on an engine company in Anchorage we would meet the on duty Middletown engine crew at Formosa Restaurant in Middletown. They had a taiwanese buffet that we would hit like a swarm of locust. One day the owner came over and said "You firefighters eat too much you leave now." We still laugh about that.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:42 am

True Story:

I too have been booted! I can make people laugh 'til they cry telling the story in person...writing doesn't do it justice...

The short version...We went to the buffet on the corner of New Circle and Richmond road in Lexington (in the mid 90s). We were all UK athletes and had a pretty serious appetites (the group of us was trying to keep our weight up...something I have seemed to have mastered later in life). Anyway, there was probably six or seven of us. At some point towards the end of the meal (as I remember most of us were finished) out of no where:

"No excuses! You Pay now! You must leave!" At first I figured he was miffed because one of the guys was trying to pick up his cute (but somewhat young) daughter that always waited on us (we later figured that she had been hiding all of our dirty plates on previous visits so the boss/father wouldn't know how much we ate).

"No excuses!" "You must pay!" Now! No more chew!"

My buddy, who was some sort of cross between Belushi's character in Animal House and William "Refrigerator" Perry was, of course, still eating. I'll give this 5 foot tall 100 lb. manager/owner/dad credit...without missing a beat he reached down in front of my buddy and snatched his plate right out from under him (I'd steal apiece of meat from a lion's mouth before I attempted this).

"No More!"

"Oh wait, I'm not quite done with that!" He said a surprisingly friendly tone. At this point a tug of war ensues that results in food everywhere. "No problem, I'll just fix another plate".

Now, much to the delight of all of us and the rest of the restaurant, "Bluto" proceeds to the buffet and begins fixing another plate at which time he is attacked by the entire Chinese Army. He didn't flinch...As I remember it, he got out of there with some of that curdled pizza, and a few chicken wings he managed to stuff in his pocket with people hanging off his arms.

I must say the check-out at the register was a little awkward after that!
:wink:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Here's another horror story from a buffet. I work with Boy Scouts and of course like all growing boys there always hungry. A few years ago we took a group to tour Washington, DC and to visit the National Jamboree. Since we were planning a long day at the jamboree, we decided to stop for breakfast before entering the grounds. We decided a Shoney's breakfast buffet would be quick, easy and relatively inexpensive. Will the old saying goes 2 out of 3 ain't bad but in this case we only got one right, inexpensive.

When we arrived the restaurant was quite crowded but they were able to put a table together for us in about 15 minutes, during the wait the boys decided to sample the doughnuts and pastries on the buffet. Needless to say they received a few frowns for doing this. When we were seated we just told the hostess that everyone wanted the buffet so the boys immediately got their first plate. An hour later when each boy had eaten 4-5 plates of food and several drinks the manager began hovering and asked how much longer we were going to be. We replied probably not much longer. By this time some items on the buffet had run out (especially bacon and sausage) and the boys were clamoring for them to be refilled. After another half hour our waitress came over and told us the buffet was closing? We thought this was unusual since it was only a little past 8:30 AM in the buffet was supposed to be open until 10:00 AM. Fortunately the boys were pretty full by this point so they finished and we proceeded to leave. Why we were paying for the meals the manager came over to talk to us and actually apologized for closing the buffet early. He went on to state that the reason they had closed it was because they had run out of food! He said that the boys had eaten almost as much food in 1 1/2 hours than they usually serve in 2 days!

Kind in the same story with a much different result!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:11 am

It's funny but when I think about it, I tend to lean towards the restaurant. I empathize with them a little but hey. Asking people to use discretion is like asking a bear not to attack you.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
User

Ray W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:30 am

Lyndon

by Ray W. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:58 am

I think that some of these Asian Buffet owners just have a tendency to underestimate the appetite (or in some cases gluttony) of Westerners... I have been watching the Discovery Channel reality series Everest: Beyond The Limit and the Sherpas are just amazed at the amount of yak meat and potatoes that American Climber Tim Medvetz can devour...But then again...It takes a tremendous amount of calories to move a 6' 3" 240 lbs Californian Biker to the top of a 29,000 foot peak...
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:04 am

Ray W. wrote:I think that some of these Asian Buffet owners just have a tendency to underestimate the appetite (or in some cases gluttony) of Westerners.

Bull Butter.

I am convinced that General Tso is out there somewhere holding a boot camp for future buffet owners. Every detail of running one of these operations is covered: the art of candied meats and creamed corn frying, marking table numbers with masking tape, fresh cut fruit preservation, frozen pizza presentation, soft serve machine maintenance, glass cutting (for creating table tops), and of course, plate counting methods and when and how to pull the plug (I bet the general had to re-write that one after my crew in the mid-90s). :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy "hitting the trough" from time to time and the food is quite tasty, but this is a science not an art.
User

Lori Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:49 pm

by Lori Cundiff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:37 am

Ha! I love the General Tso's boot camp idea. I had always imagined it as more of a "restaurant in a box" concept. An owner would just order "chinese buffet" from Sysco and receive a #10 can of slop to pour into each trough hole. I always imagine that they don't actually cook anything, but just pour cans all day long.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:46 am

Lori Crouch wrote:Ha! I love the General Tso's boot camp idea. I had always imagined it as more of a "restaurant in a box" concept. An owner would just order "chinese buffet" from Sysco and receive a #10 can of slop to pour into each trough hole. I always imagine that they don't actually cook anything, but just pour cans all day long.

I stopped "dining" at any chinese buffet awhile back, but if I hadn't this comment would forever haunt my psyche as I looked at the buffet. Hilarious!
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:37 am

I am always somewhat puzzled when people start comparing these places. If you're in the mood, just pull into the first one you see.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:14 am

Yeah. I don't think the hubby and I will be going to any more Asian buffets. I have found that I don't really enjoy grease-coated, mediocre at best, Asian food. The last straw was when we went last weekend to one that we'd heard was excellent, but the food was just awful.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"