Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Final half-star seems missing from CJ's Fontleroy's revi

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:2 of the first 4 posts on this page are about CJ Reviews

One of them is an old review, bounced back up by a late reply.

and that's pretty much the case all the time...

No, it isn't.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:52 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:No more offended than she is having you seemingly stalk her column, I'd assume.

I'm glad that the reviews are linked each week, as I wouldn't see them otherwise. The same goes for those from Leo, IL, and any other odd source that pops up.

I agree that her "style" is often ill-appropriate, but I also agree that it is basically an overdone topic. I can still look past it and find the substance (or lack of) in her reviews regarding the food, ambiance, service, etc., and appreciate the chance to discuss them. So, keep 'em coming!
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:39 pm

I'll have to admit to not being a big fan of the "critique the CJ reviewer" either. The threads always seem to take on an air of superiority that I find to be a real turnoff and that make the forumites look like a bunch of a-holes. If my experience as a freelance writer is any comparison, she's probably not getting reimbursed for her meals, and is likely not even getting paid enough to cover the cost of those meals.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:12 am

Richard S. wrote:I'll have to admit to not being a big fan of the "critique the CJ reviewer" either. The threads always seem to take on an air of superiority that I find to be a real turnoff and that make the forumites look like a bunch of a-holes. If my experience as a freelance writer is any comparison, she's probably not getting reimbursed for her meals, and is likely not even getting paid enough to cover the cost of those meals.

I don't have any idea how that works after many years of Gannett, Richard, but we are still talking about the regional metro newspaper here, not a blog. When I held the post in the 1980s (as a staff writer doing the critic's job as a separate, independent venture), the weekly fee wasn't much, but they did cover all expenses. I just turned in the receipts and got my check.

I do think the paper - even in its current status - has to stand up to public scrutiny. I actually generally don't critique the blogs - unless they do somethe exceptionally vile, like the U of L Cardinal's famous Taco Punk review. But the daily paper? I can't buy that we sould give them slack; and I don't think even the current management would expect the free-lance dining critic to work for a loss.
Previous