Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Final half-star seems missing from CJ's Fontleroy's review

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:18 pm

So here is the CJ's Fontleroy's report. She wrote four stars, gave it 3 1/2. We'll be along in a couple of weeks with our point of view. ;)

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /72020006/
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Re: Final half-star seems missing from CJ's Fontleroy's revi

by Alanna H » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:45 pm

I live one block away, pass them at least twice a day, and didn't realize they were already open for business. Ooops.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Alanna H wrote:I live one block away, pass them at least twice a day, and didn't realize they were already open for business. Ooops.

Get your butt in here, then! I work mornings and am off Tuesdays and Sundays, but otherwise ask for me, I'd like to say hi! Lamb ribs is my go-to recommendation as a dinner entree, but everything's good. We're lunch and dinner, 7 days a week, and just started a new lunch menu today. Classic egg salad (because, to be frank, everyone loves that deviled egg flight so much, and really, every peeled egg doesn't come out perfect for presentation), curried chicken salad to die for, Berkshire farms gourmet hot dogs (we have one with pimento cheese, lunch lady style sloppy joe sauce, cole slaw, and local Pop's Pickles), and another one adorned with white bean chili. Baby kale Caesar salad. Banana pudding. As a special right now, sweet potato pie with bruleed sorghum meringue. PEANUT BUTTER PIE.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:26 pm

Sounds great, Marsha. Headed that way on our first day off. Thanks for the taste of things to come.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:21 am

I gotta say-it's a fine place to eat,
Those lamb ribs and scallops and...well, just about everything I tried were delicious.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:57 am

Marsha, you had me at curried chicken salad and peanut butter pie. I am definitely going to have to get in there asap, even though we're moving away from my beloved Highlands tomorrow. I can't wait! (errr, to eat at Fontleroy's, not to move.)
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

by John Lisherness » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:36 am

I was considering going to Fontleroy's for lunch today so I thought I'd take a peek at their menu on their Facebook page.
They had a new dinner menu posted on 9/26. Here's a few examples of how it differs from their 09/02 menu:
Country Ham Board $15 increased to $17
Bacon and Egg Salad $5 increased to $9
Steak and Egg Burger $12 increased to $14
Short Rib $17 increased to $21

I understand pricing needs to occasionally be tweaked, but the entrées come with no sides and the sides average over $8.
I wouldn't be posting this but for the fact that I became an addict of Allan Rosenberg's last Bardstown Road venture, Papalinos, just to have it go downhill and eventually close (I believe under different ownership).
I've been in Fontleroy's and had the Steak and Egg Burger (which was great).
Maybe I'm just getting cheap and grumpy.
When I eat out, I'm paying for an experience, and for these prices expect more.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:52 pm

John Lisherness wrote:I was considering going to Fontleroy's for lunch today so I thought I'd take a peek at their menu on their Facebook page.
They had a new dinner menu posted on 9/26. Here's a few examples of how it differs ...

John, I got in touch with Allan to check this out, and here's his response:

Chef Allan Rosenberg wrote:... there was some menu glitches. The only thing that should have increased was the bacon and egg salad which on our original menu was priced to low at $5 and originally should have been $9. We are have the mistakes corrected ASAP
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:25 pm

How do restaurant's decide how to price their menu items?

Back in the 80's I worked at Chi-Chi's corporate office, and it seems to me they were generally set as a markup against the cost of the item.

Let's say a twice grilled bar-b-que burrito, with rice and beans had an ingredient cost of $2.50, then the menu price for that item might be $10. (Making food cost 25% of the selling price.)

Is there a general "rule of thumb" on this or is "whatever the market will bear" used today?

Curious minds want to know.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:35 pm

Restaurants shoot for 30% food cost. So, to price a menu item, you triple what the ingredients cost, and add a little. That's supposed to pay for labor, food, and "other" costs, like utilities, rent, and whatnot. It's not perfect, but that's the goal.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:18 am

I really can't tolerate most of the CJ, including (and perhaps especially) these reviews, but after my first visit to Fontleroy's last night and having reviewed the review (sorry, bad construct there), I found it to be really accurate.

The physical plant at Fontleroy's is challenging, from the boring colors (lack thereof) to the absolutely unbelievable noise level. The inability to carry on a conversation with the person across the table is probably a deal killer for me. But the food was fabulous: fried catfish (a guilty pleasure) and mac and cheese (ditto) were perfect for a night of 20 degrees and snow.

If you are someone who loves/tolerates the decibel level here, you should go and go again.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:48 am

I'm indifferent to the CJ altogether, Nancy included...but, It wouldn't matter if Pete Wells (or pick your respected critic) ghost wrote for Nancy, Robin would still pick it apart.

For someone who loathes all things CJ, the obsession with reading it is quite weird Robin.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:58 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:I'm indifferent to the CJ altogether, Nancy included...but, It wouldn't matter if Pete Wells (or pick your respected critic) ghost wrote for Nancy, Robin would still pick it apart.

For someone who loathes all things CJ, the obsession with reading it is quite weird Robin.

Adrian, with respect, you're wrong, and I think you're being more than a little unfair. I rarely critiqued Marty's reviews. I might not be a big fan of his prose style, but in general his reviews were solid. I highlight Nancy's reviews more often - as I did Susan's in her day - because they're ripe for critique.

I'm sorry, but you aren't correct, and I'm slightly offended at your broad assumption. Go back. Look at every time I've posted a critique, and read the article to see the specific points that I make. Look also at the weeks where I wonder about the review but intentionally make the post noncommital, and invite the gang to come up with their own observations.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:38 pm

No more offended than she is having you seemingly stalk her column, I'd assume.

2 of the first 4 posts on this page are about CJ Reviews, and that's pretty much the case all the time...

Just find it amusing.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:09 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:No more offended than she is having you seemingly stalk her column, I'd assume.

2 of the first 4 posts on this page are about CJ Reviews, and that's pretty much the case all the time...

Just find it amusing.

I just don't think you understand, Adrian. HotBytes covers the local food-and-dining scene, and that includes critiquing the media's food coverage. Nothing new about this; we've been doing it since 1994. I'd have been happy to get a little more sincerity in your response, but no point in dragging this out. "Bless your heart." 8)
Next