Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

The Post's pizza earns our salute

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:58 pm

The Post's pizza earns our salute

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

The Post's giant cheese slice

Mary claims that I never met a pizza I didn't like, but this is a gross exaggeration. Sure, I like pizza, a lot, and I generally won't say no to a slice. Why should I?

But liking the stuff doesn't mean that I give up my critical discernment, dammit! Show me a Corporate Pie™ and I'll shrug and go "Meh." I know pizza, and I know what I like. And I'm here today to tell you that I like the pizza at The Post, an appropriately hip, casual pizzeria in a shotgun house that was once home to once housed Lone Wolf Post #5636 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars post in Louisville's Germantown.

Is it the best in town? I didn't say that. Our fair city is blessed with a lot of really good pizza (and, to be frank, a lot of less-good and even not-so-good pizza). I wouldn't even want to try to rank The Post against, say, Garage Bar, Caffe Classico, Old School NY or a bunch of other splendid locals.

But I'll say it's right up there in the top tier, and shines particularly in the New York City-style pie, that large, thin, foldable slice that you can bend in half to eat out of hand, starting from the point and working back.

We came prepared for a great pizza experience and got it, even after starting off a bit on the wrong foot. When we sat down, we realized that it was as cold as an icebox and as noisy as a rock concert, but without the good music.

Sounds pretty rough, right? But it gets better. The noise died down a bit when the party of 12 at an adjoining table got their food. Stuffing their faces tended to mute their outdoor voices. Once we realized our server, Charlotte, was competent and caring but deeply in the weeds with this noisy group, we were forgiving about a brief delay in getting our menus and drinks. And Mary put her coat on. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5383

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/09/the-po ... ur-salute/

The Post
1045 Goss Ave.
635-2020
http://thepostlouisville.com
http://facebook.com/louisvillepost
Robin Garr's rating: 89 points
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: The Post's pizza earns our salute

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Hmm, guess I need to give it another shot -- that Pic looks good.

My first experience I was very disappointed, didn't find it NYC style at all, was too thick to even THINK about folding.

Perhaps we went wrong with a full pie, or maybe they didn't have things running on all cylinders yet?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Hmm, guess I need to give it another shot -- that Pic looks good.

My first experience I was very disappointed, didn't find it NYC style at all, was too thick to even THINK about folding.

Perhaps we went wrong with a full pie, or maybe they didn't have things running on all cylinders yet?

Well, in fairness, in my experience - and I did live in NYC for four years in the '90s and spent summers there as a teen-ager - there are two kinds of New York pie. The street-corner pizzerias sell huge slices that are thin and foldable like that. The sit-down pizzerias (many in Brooklyn and Queens) sell whole pies that are smaller, and therefore not so foldable. So, foldable slices, smaller plate pizza that you don't fold. I thought The Post was okay in both departments, but the by-the-slice seemed like the real deal.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:30 pm

I don't even like pizza- with very few exceptions- but that picture looks delicious!
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:58 am

That pic...mouth watering...
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:35 pm

This is a real nice place for a beer and a slice. Their slice of the day is $4, which with a draft Country Boy is a hard meal to beat for around $12 after tip.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:41 pm

We liked The Post a lot too. Good crust, fresh toppings, just the right amount. It is noisy, though.